Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to learn the back story.

If I insulted you I apologize and wish you well in your endeavor.

I know as well as others the challenges thrown our way when your past the half century mark.

If I may, I would suggest getting a tutor from the same course as your taking, being a 4 year course there should be someone looking to earn a little money on the side. I say this because I had to do the same when I took my Masters.

If you get in a sticky situation please post and/or PM and I will try to find an answer.

By the way the boiling point of oxygen is: 90.20 K / -182.95 °C / -297.31 °F

:thumbsup:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. . . the company i work for is making me go through this course because i bid this job and they feel i am to old to learn it!

Looks like they're correct.

Hard truth, but do you really want a nurse who couldn't pass the dosage competencies in nursing school?

I don't know what they've asked you to bid on/build, but will anyone be hurt if it fails in service because of bad design resulting from bad math? Think Challenger's booster rocket o-rings? Toyota gas pedals? Elevator lifters for airliners?

Sorry, but I am a college instructor by profession (math related, but accounting/business and not engineering) and "networking" may in fact help you grasp a concept, but at some point (aka "exams") you have to stand on your own two feet. If you are having difficulty tell the instructor. He/she may have a bunch of good ideas and available resources to help you. That is their job. Some folks learn by reading (lucky pups) and others need to see visual or more tactile presentations. A good instructor will do what it takes.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am a college professor. Fulltime, tenured at the University of Cincinnati. I have a little different slant on this for you. I get several "older" students pre year, like you they have the practical side down pretty pat and know what to do for their job. We get them when either the company is changing or gone, or the person is trying to get a better job. The skills you have are great probably great for what you use to do. The ones you lack can be taught to you. If you are taking a course and having trouble go to the learning center. Every college has one. They will have people there to help you especially in the math! These will most likely be college professors or at least people with a maters/doctorate in math and want to help. Again they want to help. If you really want to prove the company wrong go to the Learning Center. The fact that you are asking for help in this forum is a good sign you have the ability to use resources...many of these guys and gals on the forums are some of the best out there in their fields. Some however do not have patience with others, and that is ok too. If there is someone out there that is really good and could PM you to help they might just find another form of TREASURE!

OP
OP
T

theo

Sep 7, 2009
Hello Jeep, A big Thank You for understanding my situation and the offering of help! You must have been here and done that! I have to give you much credit for i know this little bit I am going through really take's some time. You are right about the boiling point of oxygen! It took me about 4 hrs. book and math work to get that one! Hello Charlie, You sure do tell it like it is! ( you are right about the way you tell it ) I understand where you are coming from and that just make's me more determined to get through this! Thank You for telling it the way it is! Hello Curtis, You hit the nail on the head! I can do the mechanical part of this job already, and all the mechanical questions in this course are no problem, its mainly the math. Thank the Lord i only have 3 books of this pneumatics to get through! Curtis you have really giving me a tremendous amount of encouragement with what you wrote! I am not going to give up! The old saying " He is not the sharpest knife in the draw " Well that may be true but " I'm not the dullest knife in that draw! " We old dinosaurs just keep pecking away at this stuff, just like right now i can only type this out with one finger and it takes me forever to type this out but it wont stop me! Just from you 3 fellow's i can see that their is a world of knowledge on this forum!! Thank You All!!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
theo said:
Hello Everyone, Sorry i havent responded for a few day's, been working 12 hr. shifts. First off I've only posted on one other forum asking for help, I'am not getting my kick's just doing this! I really need some help trying to do this math. It's a long story that i really dont have time to get into right now but i can tell you that this is about age,, the company i work for is making me go through this course because i bid this job and they feel i am to old to learn it! ( I am 56 yr. old ) Its a 4 year course and they feel i cant do it! Well i can get all the question parts of it by reading the book's but i am really having trouble with the math! We didnt have this math when i was in school, we just learned the basic's,, and I'll be the first to admit that i wasnt good at that! I really am trying to grasp this math but for some reason it's really hard for me. Mr Jeep, sorry to hear that you dont like me posting on all this forum's , like i say i'am not getting off on this, just that i need help with the math and i thought the other forum member's were getting tired of me asking this stuff ( but i did see that they wanted to know if i had anymore after i posted on here ) I'am not trying to make anyone mad,, just trying to get through this course the best i can! I did work out a few of the problems on my own after getting advice from the other forum member's,,,and i will take the answers they gave me and try to work the problem out to see how they did come up with the answer's. Alot of this stuff i will never use on this job, they in my mind are just punishing for bidding the job. I have to prove them wrong! One of the questions in the book's was " What is the boiling point of oxygen? " I in my 56 years of life have never even thought about that! And like i said earlier i will never use all this stuff on this job. Anyway I am going to ask the member's on here that if i post some of the problem's on here to see if anyone can help me with these , would it be ok with the membership to do so? If not i wont bother posting any on here. I do "get into this site as i have a minelab exp. and i read all the stuff you fellow's post! :help:

Go to mapquest.com or switchboard.com. Do a search for the nearest Sylvan Learning Center and they will have you understanding that stuff real quick. Their ads say starting in 36 hours. They have made a career of correcting the failures of teachers to get kids to read using the new standards. There is also an outfit called Mathnasium.com that may help you. I've butted heads with "trained" professional educators before and they are usually not nearly as bright as they think they are. They have so much compassion too. Good luck to you. Show the punks what you can do and get that better job. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread