Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know, I know.
You've seen it here before but, for the new guys it's a highly interesting topic.

The phrase"Bite the Bullet"

Heres my opinion that makes total sense.

Bite marks on bullet's.

Not human but rather forrest critters.

Bullets/shot were lubed with Lard and when dropped or fired were a tasty treat for wild pigs.

Again, MY OPINION

I don't know how "bite the bullet" started, but sometimes it was literally necessary to bite the bullet. In the 1850s the British Army in India received a new arm, the recently invented Enfield rifle, named after the arsenal in Enfield. One of the peculiarities of that weapon was that you had to bite off the ends of lubricated cartridges. The Indians in the British Army in India, or sepoys, believed, correctly "that the grease used to lubricate the cartridges was a mixture of pigs' and cows' lard; thus, to have oral contact with it was an insult to both Muslims and Hindus. Late in April 1857, sepoy troopers at Meerut refused the cartridges; as punishment, they were given long prison terms, fettered, and put in jail," as the EB relates. The reluctance of the sepoys to "bite the bullet" resulted first in mutiny, then in a spreading rebellion among outraged Indians.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have several chewed bullets. Most of them have been chewed on by hogs, squirrels or rats, some type of rodent for sure. I also have a few, one in particular, that was chewed on by a human. I carried it to a dentist friend and he said they were human molar marks on it. I dont think they chewed on the bullet for pain relief as much as they did to help relieve boredom. Most of my chewed finds have been found in CW camps where the soldiers were there for an extended period of time. Maybe they ran out of tobacco. I saw a "carved" bullet on ebay the other day that had been fired. Seller said that it had been picked up and then carved on. What it was was a fired bullet that a rat or other rodent had chewed on. It wasnt carved on at all. My two cents worth also...d2

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Civil war soldiers in need of pianfull amputation or other procedure would be more likely to "bite" a piece of rope or leather. Correct :dontknow:

VPR

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting topic indeed. I would tend to agree with you that perhaps the original term "bite the bullet" came from the 1850's by the British as your described. I think it may have morphed somewhat during the Civil War, where in some cases they did bite the bullet to reduce the pain. There are a ton of other interesting origins for terms we use like

red house district
Hooker
lock, stock, and barrel

We may very well know of the above, but there are still that may be open for debate.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
They could have done it when they were thirsty!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
They could have done it when they were thirsty!

Dug bullets are very refreshing with that white coat of dry oxidation.

I like those Colonial 58 cal jaw breakers quite a bit. ;D

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I agree with the thought that most chewed bullets were done by animals as evident by the markings however, I also know that bullets were used to bite down on when Civil War soldiers were receiving medical aid in the field. I have spent countless hours reading civil war diaries and memoirs of soldiers while researching battles, skirmishes and troop movement throughout the Shenandoah Valley. Much of my research was done at the Thomas Balch Library in Leesburg, VA. During my research I had come across multiple mentions of bullets being used to bite on during treatment for wounds. I doubt this practice was used when being treated behind the lines at a field hospital. We located one of these and found many CW items including some medical stuff but no chewed bullets.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tin Nugget said:
I agree with the thought that most chewed bullets were done by animals as evident by the markings however, I also know that bullets were used to bite down on when Civil War soldiers were receiving medical aid in the field. I have spent countless hours reading civil war diaries and memoirs of soldiers while researching battles, skirmishes and troop movement throughout the Shenandoah Valley. Much of my research was done at the Thomas Balch Library in Leesburg, VA. During my research I had come across multiple mentions of bullets being used to bite on during treatment for wounds. I doubt this practice was used when being treated behind the lines at a field hospital. We located one of these and found many CW items including some medical stuff but no chewed bullets.

That has always made no sense to me. If they were to bite down on anything a tough piece of folded leather makes much more sense. Heck anything they couldn't bite through would be better than a bullet.

B

BigDan

Good post

Ah, those Hooker's girls.

I don't know anything more about "bite the bullet". But I've heard where 4F may have come from. Not positive.

I've heard that tearing the paper from around the minie ball and powder was done by biting. This supposedly required four good front teeth. Some conscripts would actually have someone pull some teeth (or I suppose do it themselves) to avoid having to serve.

Regarding biting the bullet, since it is a reference to dying, could it be that it means to have a bullet enter the body?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's proof!

Attachments

• toothless.jpg
    toothless.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10,343
OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Tin Nugget said:

That has always made no sense to me. If they were to bite down on anything a tough piece of folded leather makes much more sense. Heck anything they couldn't bite through would be better than a bullet.
ModernMiner said:
Here's proof!
Jesus Doug! ;D

That is just haggard man!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Here's proof!

You found him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's my long lost avatar head!!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: I tried so many times to find him again to post a close up shot for everyone but couldn't do it. Did you have any idea you were posting my "mug shot"? :D

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Here's proof!man I'm glad I don't look like that. :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Here's proof!

You found him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's my long lost avatar head!!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: I tried so many times to find him again to post a close up shot for everyone but couldn't do it. Did you have any idea you were posting my "mug shot"? :D

It was tough, but I found you. ;D Actually, I just Googled "toothless man" and this guy showed up. :laughing9:
-MM-

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Now I can't remember what I wanted to say, being distracted by ModernMiner's horrible picture, which
will take decades to get out of my mental inventory of images . . .

Oh yeah - seems some of you-all really know your history!

Anyway, just for the record, they used to do amputations in the field during the Civil War,
and to stop the gnashing of teeth, they'd have the victim drink some whiskey and
bite on a relatively soft bullet during the operation.
Thus biting the bullet came to mean facing the music, getting through something difficult
without the use of pain killers. I suspect though you-all knew that.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Here's proof!

It was tough, but I found you. ;D Actually, I just Googled "toothless man" and this guy showed up. :laughing9:
-MM-

I wonder if I found him that way too. :icon_scratch: Now you see being so small in my avatar doesn't really do him justice. ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Here's proof!

-MM-

I wonder if I found him that way too. :icon_scratch: Now you see being so small in my avatar doesn't really do him justice. ;D

IP,
You're right! I never even noticed that was the same guy on your avatar. :laughing9:
I bet that guy didn't score too many dates. :love3:
-MM-

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
ModernMiner said:
Here's proof!

lol
Look at Iron Patch....He aint no romeo in that avatar either.
Hiding that face for some reason. ;D

IP is a celebrity! Aint ya dude?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions