Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That can't be answered because we'd have to have used what you did, and gray ghosts too, and probably on a Tesoro. I do know exactly what you mean though because in 2004 I was having headphone problems with my explorer and was offered a Koss set but was so different I stuck with my ghosts sound breaking up. That being said, my advice to you would be to buy a very good set which will last, and get used to them.

PS... Just this past Fall I came across the same problem as 2004 only this time all my ghost NDT cords were completely shot so i had no choice to borrow some, which ended up being Koss again. The sound was definitely different, but I know the detector so well it really didn't hurt me. Once a I had a few hunts it was pretty normal, but still less quality than my ghosts which I will make sure I don't go without again. If you were using cheap phones a decent set might be different, but it's different in a good way, you just don't realize it yet.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a pair of Nugget Buster NDTs, a set of original Gray Ghosts, and a pair of regular Nugget Busters. They all sound the same, which to my ear, is considerably different than my original phones just as you mention. They're somewhat higher pitched and at first seemed a bit shrill. However they are also very crisp and clean and the clicks and snaps of targets near the discrimination setting come through very well. I tried my previous phones after getting used to the others, and they sounded muffled, fuzzy and hollow in comparison. I didn't care for that at all and they now only serve as possible backups. I'd say Iron Patch told you right, get used to them and never look back.
HH
luvsdux

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patch & luvsdux thanks for the info an your thoughts an advice , you both make alot of sense I did wonder if it was just me not ever using real good head phones an have my ears tuned to cheap ones .

Thanks again an HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stereo/Mono Switch

Another thing to consider is do the head phones have a STEREO/MONO switch on them. Every detector manufacturer is different. Some only work in stereo and others only work in mono.

Tesoro machines for example need to have STEREO phones. Mono just won't work with them.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

I had a Tesoro LST for six years, during that time I used three different sets of Headphones, all sounded different. Predater being the best, Grey Ghost NDT a close second :icon_thumleft:

SS

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

I had a Tesoro LST for six years, during that time I used three different sets of Headphones, all sounded different. Predater being the best, Grey Ghost NDT a close second :icon_thumleft:

SS

:icon_thumleft: thanks SS I picked up a set of Grey Ghosts an they dont seem to bad only been out twice with em so far but they seem ok .

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank69 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

:icon_thumleft: thanks SS I picked up a set of Grey Ghosts an they dont seem to bad only been out twice with em so far but they seem ok .
Good phones, the only downside I found was the leads were very flimsy :-\

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread