Advice Needed on Selling Common Foreign Coins

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
I'm starting to accumulate some foreign money in bills and coins I just picked up one way or another. These are recent mintages only. Some of this I picked up as a result of scrapping out vending machines. The coins were rejects. I heard that the banks charge quite a bit to exchange foreign money into U.S. dollars and it is not worthwhile unless you have a lot. I heard something about people buying small lots of foreign money on ebay then exchanging it for U.S. money when they had enough. Anyone have any experience on this?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You might find the process easier (less time and energy consuming) to just spend the coins and bills in the country when you revisit. Or donate the coins to the kids at your local coin club.
Don.......

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worth the trouble! I agree on finding a creative use for them.

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
hyderconsulting said:
I'm starting to accumulate some foreign money in bills and coins I just picked up one way or another. These are recent mintages only. Some of this I picked up as a result of scrapping out vending machines. The coins were rejects. I heard that the banks charge quite a bit to exchange foreign money into U.S. dollars and it is not worthwhile unless you have a lot. I heard something about people buying small lots of foreign money on ebay then exchanging it for U.S. money when they had enough. Anyone have any experience on this?

Any time ive listed small lots of modern foreign coins on ebay they never fail to sell.You'd be surprised,i keep the lots down to mailable weights and try to group them or theme them with an angle of interest.I look on it is more a bumping my own feedback than making any money from it , they do sell though.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Some US banks will exchange foriegn currency for US for a fee. None will exchange foriegn coins for US currency. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread