Whites TDI

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: White's TDI

Ok for uses like beach and/or nuggets. But it would be very fishy for land hunting for coins/relics, IMHO. Sure, it *could* be done, since it has the ability to tell high verses low verses iron. But it is very fishy and hyper-sensitive for that task. And by the time you tweek the controls to loose iron, you may just find that you have thus reduced the depth down to where you're at about the same as various regular VLF coin machines, so you may just ask yourself "what have I gained?". JMHO

If they ever make a pulse machine that retains true progressive TID-type discrimination, down to the full length of the depth they reach, that would be interesting. But for now, on this machine, you will reduce your depth to about that of the Explorer, if you intended to pass iron, and tell highs vs lows. That's not a bad thing, mind you, because certainly there are other benefits you could be enjoying, even if you didn't push an inch or two deeper while effortlessly passing iron. Because sure, you will probably do better in nasty soils.

Put it this way, if the TDI is going to be an Explorer killer in the turf, you would certainly have seen legions of md'rs going that direction. So far, that hasn't happened. And yes, people have tried. Contrast this to when the explorers first started being seen in the turf, it didn't take long at all (within a few years) that people ...... when the cross-compared marked/flagged targets, to start ditching their other makes in favor of the Explorer, since they couldn't argue with the results. I do not see that happening with the TDI.

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for your reply, I still would like to own one or try one to see for my self. happy hunten

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

liftloop said:
Thanks for your reply, I still would like to own one or try one to see for my self. happy hunten

Tom told you the true facts. If you still want to buy one, why listen to us, go git it. You will also find that the coil wants to float in the water forcing you to hold it down. :icon_scratch:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

I thought about getting a TDI but after seeing them decided it was not a machine for me. It is good on buttons and small brass in extremely bad soil but not for much else. I've dug with people who had them and some have sold them already and gone back to their old machines.

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vayank54 said:
I thought about getting a TDI but after seeing them decided it was not a machine for me. It is good on buttons and small brass in extremely bad soil but not for much else. I've dug with people who had them and some have sold them already and gone back to their old machines.
Well there's a learning curve to every thing. When I bought my mxt I have dug a shoe box full of unwanted finds, but now. I know! I have a better grip with that detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread