A bit bummed.

seekerofold

Mar 16, 2010
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi all. My name is Judy :) I'm new to the forum and to Metal detecting. I was hoping to get a metal detector, but I spoke to someone at Kellyco and was told that where I live (south Texas) I would need a minelab x Terra 305, because of the moderate ground conditions in this area. I can't afford that right now. :'( Does anyone here have any suggestions for me. I need something that is easy to use, can find coins, jewelry, etc. and if its water proof (shallow water) even better, but not necessary. The most I could afford is maybe $200.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should get some good responses soon. No one should try to sell you more detector than you need. Welcome to the forum!!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that lives down that way in Texas, and he's did fine with a Garrett Ace 250 ($212 from Kellyco) The coil & shaft are able to be submerged (up to the control box)... just be sure to never put the coil in the air so the water can run down the shaft and into the electronics. Anyway, my friend has hunted around parks & lakes and managed to dig up rings and lots of nice old coins. The Ace 250 isn't really made for water, but it's a great multi-purpose land detector if you're wanting something to get into the hobby with, without breaking the bank!

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-ace250.htm

Bran <><

OP
OP
seekerofold

seekerofold

Mar 16, 2010
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
GopherDaGold said:
You should get some good responses soon. No one should try to sell you more detector than you need. Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks! I can't wait to get some suggestions. I think I'm gonna like it here. :D

OP
OP
seekerofold

seekerofold

Mar 16, 2010
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
godisnum1 said:
I have a friend that lives down that way in Texas, and he's did fine with a Garrett Ace 250 ($212 from Kellyco) The coil & shaft are able to be submerged (up to the control box)... just be sure to never put the coil in the air so the water can run down the shaft and into the electronics. Anyway, my friend has hunted around parks & lakes and managed to dig up rings and lots of nice old coins. The Ace 250 isn't really made for water, but it's a great multi-purpose land detector if you're wanting something to get into the hobby with, without breaking the bank!

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-ace250.htm

Bran <><

Thanks Bran, I'll definitely look into the Garrett Ace 250. It definitely sounds like something I would like and it's in my price range. Thanks again.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem Judy... hope you can find a detector that suits you. :)

Bran <><

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, even when I was able to afford a more expensive detector, I still went with the Ace 250. The machine is easy to learn and I am sure you will still do well once you get used to it. Have fun!!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's
just came out with a new detector it only a 179.99 It's called a coinmaster diplays target ID and target dept, filter out trash with adjustable discrimination pinpoint mode 2 years parts & labor warranty. That's a deal any question? call White's 1-800-547-6911 or go on line White'sElectronics.com. White's simply the best, I hope that helps liftloop

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you meant "mineralized" ground conditions? If they said moderate not only were they trying to upsell you, the person who you were speaking with didn't know what they were talking about. Either way, walk away.

OP
OP
seekerofold

seekerofold

Mar 16, 2010
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it. At the moment, I'm really liking the Ace 250. I saw a video on it on youtube and it seems really easy to use.

By the way, the person at Kellyco said moderate ground conditions. I didn't know what he meant, but now I do. Thanks Iron Patch.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seekerofold said:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it. At the moment, I'm really liking the Ace 250. I saw a video on it on youtube and it seems really easy to use.

By the way, the person at Kellyco said moderate ground conditions. I didn't know what he meant, but now I do. Thanks Iron Patch.

Yes, he meant you have to buy a more expensive detector to hunt the average conditions. :-\ If that was the case there wouldn't be much of a market for the many lower priced detectors available. Definitely don't give him the chance to try and spin it again!

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seekerofold said:

Could you tell me who you spoke to when you called? Dan (metdetdevl) and I would both like to know, so it can be addressed, as we want our customers to receive accurate information when they contact us.

The Ace 250 is a great machine, by the way. Everyone I've spoken to who owns one loves it. I found it incredibly easy to use the few times I took one out.

Ms. Blaze
aka KellycoChick

B

BIG61AL

I would suggest a mid priced detector for your first purchase. I only trust three brands - Garrett's, Whites and Minelab. I use a whites prizm V with a bigfoot coil [this coil has a magnectic thin rectangler shape field vs a normal cone shaped field on a round coil]. A high end model without a learning period on a lesser model will just frustrate you. A cheapie detector will leave you equally frustrated. The Garrett's ace model while on the lower price scale is still a great beginner detector.
some suggestions.
Buy a quality pin pointer. This will save lots of time retrieving your targets.
buy a quality digger and learn how to dig a proper hole some you can leave the ground as close to as it was as you can.
knee pads - dirt and wet grass is a major pain and rocky ground is not a torture.
if you dig it up you take it home or throw in a trash can.

post pictures of you finds even if you don't find gold or silver.
don't be afraid to ask questions - you now have access to the experiences of thousands of fellow treasure hunters with a combined total of hundreds of years of being out in the hunt.
Happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread