GRRRRRRR!Im about ready to sell my MD!WARNING-Rant ahead.

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
GRRRRRRR!I'm about ready to sell my MD!WARNING-Rant ahead.

Since I have been out of the game for nearly a year,I thought I'd do some research.First stop,City Hall where I know the only judge and the chief of police.I talk to them about doing a little md'ing in some of the town parks (2) and some vacant city properties (5).NOOOO!Some other jack@$$ went without permission,left his holes,and someone got hurt.Well I scratched my head and went else where for possible hunting grounds.First stop,public land oh yeah.AHHHHH crap!DNR has designated all lands wildlife management areas or Heritage Preserves around my area.Well guess what!!???Detectors are not allowed and picking up an arrowhead laying on the ground can get you in a heap of trouble.So I stopped and asked a couple retirees in the area if I could MD their fields.I got two h377 no's.One yes, but only if I can come back when he can go out with me and collect everything I find.I don't like doing all the work for no reward.This guy seamed pretty stern about getting everything,so I figure I might get all the junk finds like tabs and nails. :BangHead:

I live in a small area and I have four kids that partake in after school activities.I don't have much time for md'ing so I have to stay close to home.We live across the hill from the school so that frees up a little time for md'ing while the kids are at their activities after school.The company owned lakes, with parks, absolutely forbid md's.If they even see one in your vehicle they will take down your tag number and name.Then ask you to leave.It has gotten absurd with rules against md'ing and I don't see why.There's not many people in my area with md's.All the clubs have fell apart that I have contacted.I think I am starting to see why few in my area md. :crybaby2:

Any advice or words of discouragement.I mean encouragement. :sad7:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: GRRRRRRR!I'm about ready to sell my MD!WARNING-Rant ahead.

You can thank the greedy law breaking, trespassing, disrespectful, you know your a redneck if, sneaky, beadie eyed burbut , no toother, stinky pinky, troll possessed, illiterate, good fer nuttin, gang-punkin, hairy, jalopy lipped, toad fondler , lillie lopped, fungus faced, bald headed cotton headed monkey muncher, round mouthed trout, bark scorpian, bug infested, limpin lizard, lard chucker,cattle jumpin, sack of rotted tater tea addicts.

For that. ;D

I feel your pain

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

Any friends or family with property? Is there a local Historical Society you could get envolved with?

I would suggest to simply let people know, in general, that you are looking for some spots to metal detect. If you talk metal detecting to people that dont know the hobby, they usually seem to be interested.

Just my thoughts, dont give up, VPR

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
You can thank the greedy law breaking, trespassing, disrespectful, you know your a redneck if, sneaky, beadie eyed burbut , no toother, stinky pinky, troll possessed, illiterate, good fer nuttin, gang-punkin, hairy, jalopy lipped, toad fondler , lillie lopped, fungus faced, bald headed cotton headed monkey muncher, round mouthed trout, bark scorpian, bug infested, limpin lizard, lard chucker,cattle jumpin, sack of rotted tater tea addicts.

For that. ;D

I feel your pain

I'm dyin' here! :laughing7:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

I'd just give up and throw that detector in the park's lake. Hopefully, some toxic metal will leach in and cause some real harm. :laughing7: You'll have the last say until they trace the serial number and use imminent domain to confiscate your property and turn it into a park. :icon_scratch:

For the public good, of course.
:dontknow:
Newt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Ben2go, you say that city-hall folk, where you went for "permission", said that the reason the were telling you "no", was because someone else left holes (which led to someone else even getting hurt, mind you). But I'm willing to bet that if you tried to find out the specifics of this supposed incident, that you'd come up empty handed.

All too often a city bureaucrat will cite such things as their reason for giving you a "no", when in fact, they are just ........ giving you a "no". Why? Because you asked, and their knee-jerk reaction is an image of geeks with shovels.

Not saying it's impossible, but I have heard, on the other hand, of persons seeking to find out the details of such "prior persons that ruined it", only to find out that things got .... uh .... "embellished a little". For example: someone gets booted simply because some gardener thinks he'll hurt the sprinklers (or whatever). He tells another gardener, who tells his superior at the water cooler, and so on, and so forth. By the time it gets to 3rd hand, and someone else is coming in to city hall asking for permission, it's morphed to full-scale damage, injury, etc...

I mean, think of it: the mere fact you were in there asking "permission", merely implies that something is damaging, or inherently evil, that you had to ask, to begin with. Right? I mean, would you have asked to fly a frisbee? Use the swings? etc.. So with that inference in mind as you're asking, sometimes you only conjur up images, which dictate their answer.

To illistrate this, follow through with this supposed holes and injury story, and see if you can come up with any real occurance of such a thing.

Rusted Nail

Jan 28, 2010
Nord Dakota Der A
Detector(s) used
Old Relic/Garrett -ADS Master Hunter- Deepseeker/ Whites - Coinmaster

I'm thinking ask the wife and kids or the Easter Bunny to seed the back yard for a special treat :laughing9:. I've just about had the same luck around here, going to get a second detector and when asking permission, offer to allow them or kids or grandkids the opportunity to join in. First I need to get the nerve to go up and ask :-\. Sorry about the first statement, but I could not help it :D

OP
OP
B

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Thanks for the help and encouragement.Their maybe less to the park story I was given than I know.I thought that my knowing some of the town officials may get me a green light.I was wrong.

Now onto this morning.It's roughly 15 past 10(10:15am) and I just returned from a mill park that I hunt off and on.Well guess what!!!????The gates are chained and locked.Never seen that in 32 years.Called the mill office and ask them what the deal was with the park being locked.The response I got was,"The park is permanently closed.The equipment is out dated and in need of replacing.We recently had an issue with vandalism and are working with the county sheriff to find the culprits."That's just the reason I was given.I do know the playground equipment is old and needs some attention.It's all made out of galvanized pipe and wood.I know the park has been vandalized.You can see the graffiti paintings.So know my back up place is gone.I guess I'll just locate the utilities on my property when I get a hankerin for some detecting.I'll keep asking around about places and let people know I'm looking for places to hunt.None of my friends or family own much property.Most of my family has passed and I only have a couple close friends.I have hunted their properties and came up empty handed.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:

For that. ;D

I feel your pain [man thats a gasser I now before I got into detecting my nabor toke his detector down the railroad grade an didn't fill his hole in man you hit them with your mottor cycle nock out al your fillen I told him to fill his holes. you know ho filled his holes I did.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

4-H said:

For that. ;D

I feel your pain

Yup,
I sprayed

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumleft:

Move to England :icon_thumleft:

SS

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You could always take up sport fishing. Oh wait, that is going to be banned too.

Well, keep your chin up and try to stay positive! ???

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of these days in the not too distant future as our country continues down it's path of change, many of our parks will be like Amsterdam and Zurich, havens where drug addicts can legally engage in their hobby/addiction. They will NOT be able to metal detect though.

I am in a sour mood today. >:(

OP
OP
B

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Silver Searcher said:
:icon_thumleft:

Move to England :icon_thumleft:

SS

Funny you should mention that.A few years back I had a friend that could get me set up with everything I need to move over there.Manchester is where I believe she was living.We have lost touch over the past few years.

OP
OP
B

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

thrillathahunt said:
You could always take up sport fishing. Oh wait, that is going to be banned too.

Well, keep your chin up and try to stay positive! ???

I did that years ago.I have been sent to the shore.Every lake in my area banned 2 stroke engines because some jack@$$'s run their engines rich on fuel and oil.Then they speed across the lake leaving a gas and oil slick.I never had this issue with my two stroke engines.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

Gimme a holler sometime this weekend, I know a couple spots near a (big) river you can hunt. Its old mining land and the company that owned it packed up shop and left after they cleaned it out, and they haven't been back since. There is usually some fisherman there, and familes/kids wading in the river. Every time I am out there people are friendly and the houses that have private land are pretty far off this area. I mostly find bullets out there, but last week I got some round lead that might be musket bulls. Dont know because I havent had time to check out my concentrates but definitely remember seeing lead round balls in there . I do prospecting as well as metal detecting so there's always something to keep me busy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread