Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A key date coin is one of a series which is either scarce, rare, or much less common than most of the other dates in the series.

Wikipedia explains it this way:In coin collecting, a key date refers to a date (or date and mint mark combination) of a given coin series or set that is harder to obtain than other dates in the series. The next level of difficult to obtain coins in series are often referred to as semi-key dates or simply semi-keys.

Welcome to Treasure Net !!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
A key date coin is one of a series which is either scarce, rare, or much less common than most of the other dates in the series.

I might be wrong, but I've always looked at a rare date as standing on it own. What I mean is I've never heard of a rare (in the true sense of the word) coin being called a "key date." To me a key date is the more uncommon dates but at some point in the rarity scale a coin is rare enough to be called something more than just a key date. If you look on the Wikipedia list I don't think there is any rare coins mentioned.

It's funny how a simple question can make me question if my understanding is correct.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread