Transporting MD on an airplane.... Rules?

dadoftwogirls

Mar 15, 2010
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
I will be traveling soon to a location that I want to take my detector with me via airplane. For obvious reasons, there is no way I am putting it in my checked luggage. My unit breaks down fairly easily and I want to carry it on. Is there anything that I need to be aware of when doing this? Any tips or suggestions to avoid problems or hassles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
None I know of, I flew to Panama, El Salvador, Russia, Namibia, Turkey and Sud Afrika a few years ago and had no problems..
They will want to turn it on, so pack the batteries with it.

Seems like the rules for flying change almost on a daily basis now (creating jobs) so I would check with the carrier a least a week before your flight. I think Spooky may be right on the money as far as things stand now, better safe than sorry.

Whatever you do, don't draw attention to yourself like I did. I had my machine on and was checking everyone that passed by me and giving the security guards a :icon_thumleft: and a big ;D

Just doing my civic duty :hello:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Check it out.

In a nutshell and to the point.

No problems on an airline I do it when I travel via Jet. none.

Here's the serious problem:

The boneheads that pack our luggage.....They would love to hurl your detector a minimum of 30 yards.
I am serious.'
Ask my expensive REPAIRED bonehead neglected Gold machine that was snapped in half a few years ago.

Here's the solution:

Get a cheap snowboard travel case
Pack the machine in the case.
Surround the machine with whatever. Blanket, pillows etc..

Let the boneheads play football.

It's one of the few solutions that truly work.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same as the others, I have taken mine in my carry on. I just finished a Sunray S-12 mod on an Excal that I plan to take in my carry on bag when I go to Arizona.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have flown from Ohio to California,and back with not problem...carried on! (new state of the art hand held-no coil). The insurance coverage for checked luggage is minimal if you carry on you have more control. As i went thru the xray checking they were curious about it but lost interest as soon as I told them it was a MD. Got an extra personal going over with the wand but that's a small price to pay...and I do not mind, I am glad they are very thorough.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: I traveled with mine all through the 80's and up until 2007. I have only had a problem once. A lady friend traveling with us jokingly said something to a customs agent going into Bonaire that, "That man has something in his bag with wires and strange looking things on it." Needless to say I was pulled aside and my luggage was gone through with an intensive attitude. She was joking around but I got her back. Leaving I told a guard that she had some fruit and sponges. She nearly missed the plane. I guess the stripsearch took a little extra time because she looked so fine. What's it they say about "Paybacks"?

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
dadoftwogirls said:
I will be traveling soon to a location that I want to take my detector with me via airplane. For obvious reasons, there is no way I am putting it in my checked luggage. My unit breaks down fairly easily and I want to carry it on. Is there anything that I need to be aware of when doing this? Any tips or suggestions to avoid problems or hassles would be greatly appreciated.

the 1st time I took my detector with me was a month after 9-11 I went to the balloon fest in NEW Mexico

I put my detector in my carry on stuff and have never had a problem with anything missing, or broken
I had toturn on my hand held once to show them it worked aqnd I had a scanner with me but I told them I could not turn it on because the power cord was packed I might be going to Dayton in May and well take it with me

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my line of work, I'm on the move constantly, and my Excal 1000 goes with me all most everywhere I go. I recommend a Pelican 1750 long weapons case.
Make sure you get a different color case for your gun. You don't want the customs guys in the Bahamas asking why you are bringing an M-4 into there country on you vacation.

Tom

Attachments

• 1750-L.jpg
    1750-L.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 155

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread