Anyone local to Gettysburg free on 4/30-5/1 to show 10yr old son and me around?

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
My family is taking a trip to Manhattan and want to spend 2 days in Gettysburg metal detecting. My 10 year old son has a love of history and especially the Civil War. We are both very new to MD'ing and would love to meet up with someone to show us around and hopefully find a bullet or two. He has a Ace 250 and I have a XLT and would be very grateful for anyone to show us the ropes. Thanks in advance!

Bob

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PLEASE PLEASE do not take you metal detectors on Gettysburg ground. The fines are pretty severe and would really ruin a good trip there. There may be some people that have permission to hunt on private land but do not take your machines to the national park. Their website states:

Metal detectors are prohibited in the park. Relic hunting by the use of metal detectors or other means is strictly prohibited and violators will be prosecuted.

They are very strict on this policy. I hope you and your son have a great visit there.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Been to Gettysburg many times. It's still pretty cool temps there in the mornings so go early in the morning and walk the battlefield. It's an eerie feeling walking the battlefield with no one else around and the fog hovering over the place. Awesome experience! :icon_thumleft:

Chicken4U2

Jul 27, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As has been stated, don't even think about taking a MD into the park. My inlaws have a house there, but don't really own enough land to detect, otherwise I'd be there more often. It is still very interesting to walk around the battlefield, and stand there on one of the round tops, trying to imagine what it was like for those guys. While you are there, check out how small some of the uniforms were that they wore back then. Clearly their food didn't have as many hormones and steroids in them lol.

Letsgethammered

Feb 15, 2010
Grick_Sie_Gedu said:
As has been stated, don't even think about taking a MD into the park. My inlaws have a house there, but don't really own enough land to detect, otherwise I'd be there more often. It is still very interesting to walk around the battlefield, and stand there on one of the round tops, trying to imagine what it was like for those guys. While you are there, check out how small some of the uniforms were that they wore back then. Clearly their food didn't have as many hormones and steroids in them lol.

Thats something thats always amazed me , regardless of where i was in the world if i visited a museum the size of uniforms on display look like they would fit children.

OP
OP
D

dutchoven

Mar 12, 2010
That's obviously good to know! So, how does one go about showing his son not only the history of the area (we will definitely go to Gettys) but also find someplace local where we can MD so he might be able to find a piece of history? Thanks!

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread