mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't start around here until May. So if you find anyhow about sending some my way. I would sure like to have a mess of them for dinner.....Matt

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Sniffer said:
for those of us that don't know. what's a morel ?

A morel is a wild edible mushroom. They have a unique flavor that imo tastes like a fine cut of beef. Also known as land fish, mountain oysters, merkals, hickory chickens, etc. They are a delicacy and sometimes a cash crop. Some like them sauted in butter with salt and pepper. I like to cut them in half, marinate in buttermilk, roll in flour and seasoning, and fry them till golden brown. Delicious.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I'm not sure about mountain oysters in your area, but out here mountain oysters are a fancy name for bull testicles

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Sniffer said:
I'm not sure about mountain oysters in your area, but out here mountain oysters are a fancy name for bull testicles

Yeah I've heard about the Rocky Mt. Oysters, no thanks...Poor mans lobster is another one I've heard to describe morels.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To early this year yet. Only found a few last year and one turned out to be a false Morel. Eat a false Morel and it's good-by. :angel7:

Attachments

• morel-crossection.jpg
    morel-crossection.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,121
  • False Morel (Verpa).gif
    False Morel (Verpa).gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 7,284

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OMG. I love morels. It's a little early yet here but if we get several days of warm weather along with that rain we got they will be out. My little brother lives in Kansas and he finds tons of them every year. Dip them in buttermilk and roll them in flour and cracker crumbs and fry. Man I'm hungry now. And as far as mountain oysters I love them as well. There is a Testicle Festival in Olean Missouri every year that is a huge attraction. Yes you can google it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
treasurehound said:
OMG. I love morels. It's a little early yet here but if we get several days of warm weather along with that rain we got they will be out. My little brother lives in Kansas and he finds tons of them every year. Dip them in buttermilk and roll them in flour and cracker crumbs and fry. Man I'm hungry now. And as far as mountain oysters I love them as well. There is a Testicle Festival in Olean Missouri every year that is a huge attraction. Yes you can google it.
Sounds good Randy!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
4-H said:
treasurehound said:
Sounds good Randy!

Mike - Next time we go relic hunting in the woods with Guy can you imagine..... bullets, buttons, other relics, MORELS and a day of hunting with friends. Man it can't get any better than that.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a great book and find the moral of the story, is that close enough :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread