Protection!

F

Felinepeachy

I'm going metal detecting on Thursday in a grassy area. This will be my very first time hunting in an area that has ticks. The vet said the ticks are coming out in full force this year :tard: My question is, what should I do so I don't get any on me. I don't want any crawling up my pants. I am scared to death of them. Would it be crazy to duct tape the bottom of my pant legs to my boots? :dontknow: I heard they fall out of the trees too. OMG, do I even want to go? :help:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duct tape is a good idea....Don't let the ticks keep you from hunting, just be prepared. Use good insect repellent, and tape your pants legs.....

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Treasure_Hunter said:
Duct tape is a good idea....Don't let the ticks keep you from hunting, just be prepared. Use good insect repellent, and tape your pants legs.....

Whats the BEST repellent to use for ticks?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most effective tick repellent products are those that contain DEET. Off and Cutter are two of the most popular brands of insect repellents that have DEET as the active ingredient. DEET doesn't last long on the skin once it's applied, and it has to be reapplied sometimes several times a day. Skin so soft by avon also worked for me, but with ticks, nothing is 100%....

Tape your pant legs, wear light colored long sleeve shirts and use rubberbands at the wrists.....

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Spooky said:
Duct tape is not crazy at all...

and a good insect repellent is any one that has a high concentration of DEET.
The label will have information about ticks.

I use a military surplus version called 'ultrathon" but and good "OFF" or "CUTTER" brand should keep tacks at bay.

You STILL may end up with them.

Just know how to slowly and calmy remove them and you will be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcYdqBHgkQ0

CALMLY?!!!!!! Impossible!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
You will calm down after the first few . A very popular country song deals with checking a friend for ticks :tongue3: :laughing9:

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

4-H said:
I've heard of people wearing womens panty hose! :D
My mother in law told me this! :D

Does that work? If so, how? Do you wear them on the inside of your pants or the outside? I really don't care how crazy I look. :tard:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Inside , outside ; don't matter . Tight fit is the thing . If fashion is an issue a diver's wet suit will work , too .
Checkin for and bein checked for ticks by a compatible partner after the hunt is still more fun :laughing9:

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

truckinbutch said:
Checkin for and bein checked for ticks by a compatible partner after the hunt is still more fun :laughing9:

Well THAT"S not going to happen. I'm going with an 80 year old man :o

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Felinepeachy said:
truckinbutch said:

Well THAT"S not going to happen. I'm going with an 80 year old man :o
Then make sure the pantyhose aren't so tight that they chafe .................

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Show me ONE. Clint Eastwood was still kinda sorta sexy in Grand Torino but come on now.

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Spooky said:
Felinepeachy said:
Show me ONE. Clint Eastwood was still kinda sorta sexy in Grand Torino but come on now.

LOVED that movie!!

:icon_thumright:

But OK, I guess you have a POINT...

men tend to 'fade' WELL before women.....

I'm sorry, WHAT were we talking about?

:laughing9:

TICKS!!! How to avoid them, remove them, kill them etc. I think we've got it covered now. I don't know whether I feel better or worse. :tard:

Good night all, sleep well. :-*

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Sometimes you discover them when you just feeeeel them craawwlling over your skin in the middle of a very dark night .....
Pleasant dreams :tongue3:

Trokair

Mar 26, 2010
Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a repellent that you spray on your clothes, can't remember the name. I used to buy it at Walmart in a green can. Spray down all of your clothes and let it dry, it lasts a week. Tuck your pants into boots and wear a hat. Even if a tick does land on you all of the places it would want to go are covered in your clothes+repellent. Never failed for me.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
Duct tape is not crazy at all...

and a good insect repellent is any one that has a high concentration of DEET.
The label will have information about ticks.

I use a military surplus version called 'ultrathon" but and good "OFF" or "CUTTER" brand should keep tacks at bay.

You STILL may end up with them.

Just know how to slowly and calmy remove them and you will be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcYdqBHgkQ0

Spooky, for once I disagree with you on the tick removal. By using this method, there is a very good chance that once you start pulling on the tick, the head will come off and remain inside causing an infection. Actually the safest way to remove a tick is to strike a match, blow it out and then place the hot match head to the ticks bottom. The tick will pull itself out, if he is already feasting. I syayed awake during my first aid classes in the Boy Scouts ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread