Buy a coil cover or make my own?

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few for my Ace 250 Sniper coil. They sure save on the coil's wear and tear.. Cheaper then buying a new coil..

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always use spray on bedliner.....

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
That sounds interesting and inexpensive, but does it do a sufficient job?

I've never tried it personally, but I've heard it does. I've also heard of people using two part epoxy and GOOP. I know both of those would stand up to the job. Another quick and easy product would be epoxy paint (appliance paint). I've tried sanding that down on other things and it just laughed at sandpaper.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The purpose of the coil cover is to save the coil from wearing thin or cracking along the edges. Anything like Epoxy or bed liner that will protect the coil will help. But many manufactures void the warranty if this is on the coil when you need to send it in. Now if it is out of warranty your going to have to pay for repairs anyway, go for it. Another method is to install duct tape on the coil as it can be taken off or replaced easy.

Duct tape also dresses the expensive detector down so it isn't such a target for people wishing to pawn your toy.

OP
OP
jasonbo

jasonbo

Nov 1, 2005
Round Rock, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace250 / Cibola
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08c8ed10LXg[/youtube]

This is the video of what I was thinking of doing.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use bedliner in mine , been a year since I first put it on an everything looks great ,$15 for a coil cover or $20 for a gallon of bed liner you do the math .

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Sandman, a couple years ago I stated on this site that I had duct tape on my coil and someone else replied that that is a no-no because there is metal in duct tape. Bull. There is no metal at all in duct tape.

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will be going down to TAP PLASTICS and cutting me out a few covers :headbang:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The big question should be, why bother with a coil cover in the first place? I have been detecting since the '70's and never used a coil cover! I have also never worn out a coil! The old coils were two thin pieces of plastic glued together. the new high quality coils are injection molded. i.e. Solid plastic with embeded coil wire. Using a coil cover is just adding something else to take care of!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
for smaller coils why not use cheap frisbees like we've been doing since the sixties? siegfried schlagrule

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
They collect dirt and moisture and throw your target responce off!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen the question of whether to use a coil cover at all or not come up fairly often. As to general wear for many of us, we probably don't need one. However, I've also seen several posts where people have either actually slit a coil when hunting around rocks and a case or two where continual beach hunting where the sand wore a hole through the bottom. They can cause false signals if mineralized soil and moisture gets trapped, but that's not a problem if you're aware and clean them out now and then. I personally believe if you're not at least rubbing the ground lightly, you're losing depth so I use covers and have found no detriment to the depth or use of my detectors. My two bits.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread