Old Vacant House with Howard Hanna For Sale Sign in Yard

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
I would think yes you do need there permission. Only because they own it and the may look at it as trespassing.

I would make an attempt to get there ok first. Just my thought.

good luck and HH.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well, this is like asking "If the speed limit is 55, could I get in trouble for going 56? (too fast) or 54 (impeding traffic). Technically yes.

No matter how abandoned, no matter how big and nameless and faceless and far away the bank is, that technically, some bureaucracy owns it. Does this mean anyone actually cares? Probably not. But the technical answer to your question is: don't even step off the sidewalk there.

In Ca, there are some areas that got hit real hard by the housing market downturn. Every single block, in some of the more affected areas, can have a home or two abandoned. Some not even with "for sale" signs yet, as the owners have simply walked away, and they're in various types of legal limbo status's.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Your best bet would be to contact the Realtor. If you contact the bank, there is a 99% chance they will say no. The reason is simply for liability issues. I work at a bank, more specifically, supporting the REO dept. You have better odds going directly to the agent. The last thing a bank wants is someone to injure themselves on one of their properties as they could get sued big time. They already are losing money daily on the houses they own, so they definitely don't want to chance losing more. They don't keep basketball hoops up most of the time for that reasoning...it's known as an "attractive nuisance" to the local kids.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Philvis said:
Your best bet would be to contact the Realtor. If you contact the bank, there is a 99% chance they will say no. The reason is simply for liability issues. I work at a bank, more specifically, supporting the REO dept. You have better odds going directly to the agent. The last thing a bank wants is someone to injure themselves on one of their properties as they could get sued big time. They already are losing money daily on the houses they own, so they definitely don't want to chance losing more. They don't keep basketball hoops up most of the time for that reasoning...it's known as an "attractive nuisance" to the local kids.
I agree. Iv'e done it also. Contact the R.E. they may even contact the former owner and be able to give you key info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread