• General MacArthur 001.jpg
    General MacArthur 001.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 355

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Not too many three stars in world war two - try wikipedia for army major generals and whatever was three stars in the navy ?rear admiral? There should be photos of all world war two flag ranks. That doesn't look like a marine officers uniform. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Judging by MacArthur's face it's Korea, not WWII.

Maybe with Genenal Whitney and Maj. Gen. Almond? (The ones not under the steel pot).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
being it looks like a polaroid type photo thinking more korea than WW2 era *

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Guadalcanal campaign I was under Nimitz, not Macarthur, yet he claimed credit for every thing that we did, but not the boo boos. He was a publicity hound.

MacArthur received 5 stars which he had made into a circle.

Most of the men under him did not like him.

A friend in the Luzon campaign was in a group ordered to take a Japanese strong point, a factory complex, but were only allowed small arms support. This cost extra casualties, but he understood when he entered the compound, a sign was hanging by one chain that read MacArthur enterprises.

He was directly responsible for losing our airforce in the Philippines in the first days and subsequently the Philippines itself. He blew it in Korea.

I could go on but for what purpose, except to say that he WAS not one of my hero's. Hovever, this has no bearing on a good picture.

Don Jose de La Mancha

daroofa

Apr 8, 2010
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I believe the 3-star to his right is his Chief of Staff, Richard Sutherland.

The 2-star on his left looks like Maj. Gen. O.P. Smith

Edited because I forgot the other one.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
You are right Tayopa........McArthur was a horrible commander & as a person, for the most part was a piece of $hit. My grandad served in the Pacific 43'-45' & he hated McArthur, always said he had no business comanding soldiers.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MacArthur didn't want Patton in the Philipines after VE because he knew Patton was a REAL combat commander and would show up his phony ass.

My Dad was in the Luzon Campaign. He was an Army private, but his MOS was Motorman, Landing Craft, as shown on his DD-214.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
It sure amazes me how history gets changed. I was in the service at that time, tho" not in Korea, and it wasn't like they tell it now.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
History is the version the victors agree upon after the events.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Barber: Never heard of the Choisin res. ? Mac didn' t believe his own intelligence officers and horribly miscalculated with the Chinese. It was only by superb last ditch fighting by the marines, and the USAF, that the Allies weren't driven out of Korea, simply because of Mac's boo boos.

Incidentally, many of the islands could have been simply bypassed. The Japanese troops on them were isolated, and except for / to the locals, were harmless. They had no supplies or means of transportation. However Mac could not stand for the publicity being given to Europe and needed his successful battles and publicity.

His own staff mostly hated him for his arrogance and ego. It helps to have an extremely wealthy family behind you.

Don Jose de La Mancha

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
HE WHO WRITES THE HISTORY BOOKS -- WRITES HIS OWN "HISTORY" --THE WAY THEY SAY IT OCCURED.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
The Chinese crossed the Yalu River, which had only one bridge, Truman would not let MacArthur bomb it or do ANYTHING to stop them, and when MacArthur kept trying to get something done, Truman put in another General. I could go on about how MacArthur saved the troops that the Chinese over ran, but yoiu know more than me, I guess. One last thing, the Gov't knew this was going to happen. I was on Okinawa 1950, there were rumors of fighting going to happen on Formosa. Then everyone with even one dependent was discharged. A few months later No. Korea did there thing. Whatever.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Barber, the Yalu river incident occurred at the end of the hostilities. At the time China was poised to enter and would have if Mac had had his way and his dream. Wars are not necessarily won on the field, and the President IS the supreme commander, he also has information that the field commander doesn't, plus he is privy to all that the field commander has.

Remember the pretty little MIGS were flown by Russians. At the time I wanted the F-86 so bad that it hurt, I was gung ho to be an ace, but it was ordained to be different.

Don Jose de La Mancha

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee290/Tayopa/USAFaGentleman-1.jpg

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
What do you mean, "China was poised to enter?" Who do you think our troops were fighting? Chinese troops ran right over our army. Out of curiosity, were you in the Service at that time? Just curious.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
barber said:
What do you mean, "China was poised to enter?" Who do you think our troops were fighting? Chinese troops ran right over our army. Out of curiosity, were you in the Service at that time? Just curious.

barber, haven't you been actually READING the posts you've disagreed with? Don Jose just TOLD you he was there. If you don't know WHO or WHAT you're arguing against, [mod]Comment Removed[/mod]

Hey, Don Jose,
A gentleman by act of congress, huh???? Well, I worked for a living; an NCO and proud of it. :laughing7: :laughing7: As a matter of fact, my first job in the AF was Aircraft Weapons Mechanic. In your day, the name was probably Armourer. I worked F-100s, A-37s, F-106s, F-101s, with working knowledge of the B-52s, F-4s, F-105s, F-102s, and OV-10s.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI short stack, fascinating. I was USN naval air in WW-2 from Guadalcanal on, Master horizontal Bombardier, Aviation Ordnance - sound familiar ? he he he

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee290/Tayopa/USNavalBombardieranairdaleswabbie.jpg

Barber, you are quite correct, they were Chinese troops However, neither she nor Russia ever threw their full power into the fight. This one reason that all Flights were not allowed to cross the Yalu to persue enemy aircraft or to attack. China never declared it an act of war, just supplied North Korea with the troops .
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not my Quote : (fairly correct)

MacArthur's Wrong Decision
The United Nations Forces under the command of American General Douglas MacArthur were pushing the invading North Korean Forces back into North Korea.
The Government of China warned him not to come closer than 20 miles away from the Yalu river, the border between China and North Korea, or they would consider it to be an act of war and would enter the war on the side of North Korea.
MacArthur, an arrogant man who wished to provoke China continued past the 20 miles mark, even though told not to by the US. President Harry S. Truman. Chinese troops swarmed across the border driving the Americans back in disarray all the way back to the original border between north and south with great loss of life to the Americans, President Truman fired MacArthur and ordered him back to the US. where he retired.
MacArthur was a warmongering person who insisted on attacking China previously but was told no by the Truman administration. Strategically, he was a good general but, all in all, he was foolish. He ignored the Chinese warning and lined troops right along the Yalu river. He provoked China as a sibling does to there older brother or sister. China then sent approximately 300,000 men against the US (having support from USSR) and pushed the US back past the 38th parallel.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Maybe our great, great, grandchildren will finally be given the unadulterated truth some day, we only get the politicalized versions, which, for example, hides why the US had to provoke Japan to attack somewhere in order to enter the European conflict, concentrating only upon the result of that intended provocation, Pearl Harbor..

p.p.s. I do enjoy your posts Barber, keep them up. Remember, while my Initiales are 'J C", I am not HIM, and make many, many mistakes, as my ever lovin Wife loves to point out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread