Dream Machine - No Limit

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
I would say that the ultimate fantasy detector for anyone would simply have a 'gold and silver only' setting (assume it to be 100% accurate), and some type of automatic ground balance.

If such a machine was $5000 or even $10,000, MDers would find a way to acquire one.

... oh yeah, and waterproof too. :D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturna said:
If such a machine was $5000 or even $10,000, MDers would find a way to acquire one.

By acquire, we are talking five finger discount, right :dontknow:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground penetrating radar/ultra sound imaging in tandem with VLF with 100% target I.D. LCD display that shows a picture of what's in the ground before you dig. Imagine a radar generated picture of a gold ring projected on a LCD screen, you'd never have to dig a pulltab again! Deep silver coins would be obvious coin shaped images, deep iron nails with strong halos would be obvious visually.

Bikerboyzx6r

May 3, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sonoma County Mike said:
Ground penetrating radar/ultra sound imaging in tandem with VLF with 100% target I.D. LCD display that shows a picture of what's in the ground before you dig. Imagine a radar generated picture of a gold ring projected on a LCD screen, you'd never have to dig a pulltab again! Deep silver coins would be obvious coin shaped images, deep iron nails with strong halos would be obvious visually.

You missed out the part where the MD actually pulls the item out of the ground for you aswell! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Dan

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I wanted to see what some of you other dreamers had in mind. Here's my dream. 3 piece unit all wireless. -headphones-10" screen with with built in lense that was adjestable to match your eyesite, adjustable sun shade built in,adjustable mounting straps that could be mounted from center of chest to waist- and last but not least, a comfortable pear of hiking sneakers with built in coils!! The screen would show an actual picture of what was down there, and you could discriminate the dept!! Well, if your going to dream, you might as well dream BIG!!

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wondering about the feasibility of a metal detector that operates on transmitted and recieved frequencies. That is to say; it sends a pulse in to the ground at a prescribed freq. and reads the returned echo of the only metal that can respond to that frequency.

We know that all metals/objects have their own unique "resonance". So, you would be able to set the detector to one recieving resonance, then the detector would put out a (probably inaudible) pulse, and the particular metal would resonant to that pulse, then the detector would "read" that pulse and tell you to DIG HERE!!

I got this idea from my nephew telling me about "sounding" for oil years ago.

Hey, I can dream too. (lol)

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Eagle Down, I think you hit the nail on the head. I mentioned it in a prior post. I was trying to explain to a new member how the detector knew what metal was down there. This is just a theory of mine, the manufacturers don't tell. The transmitted frequency is reflected back with the resonate frequency modulated on it. Kind of like a radio transmission. The detector reads the resonate frequency to identify the metal. Needless to say, the process is far from prefect ed.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the F75 so that is a great machine. Right now I would like to have the Minelab ETrac..Give it a go. :thumbsup:

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Eagle Down, I think you hit the nail on the head. I mentioned it in a prior post. I was trying to explain to a new member how the detector knew what metal was down there. This is just a theory of mine, the manufacturers don't tell. The transmitted frequency is reflected back with the resonate frequency modulated on it. Kind of like a radio transmission. The detector reads the resonate frequency to identify the metal. Needless to say, the process is far from prefect ed.

I'm not really sure about that, my electronics career ended with the collapse of the areospace industry, (about 1963,) and I never got back into it. But, what little I do know about the function of the metal detector is that the coil(s) put out electrostatic lines of force, (the circumference of the coil,) and when these lines of force are disrupped by a coin or other metal objects, the machine registers it. But how it can distinguish between a penny or a clad penny, I have no idea.

Back in '83, I bought a Garrett ADS2 because I wanted a good, all around detector. It was great for finding coins, but when I left the city and went gold prospecting, I couldn't find a speck of gold. Really disappointing, especially when a friend found a 2 penny weight nugget and let me use it to test my detector, the detector wouldn't even bounce the needle in the meter. Anyway, I practically gave the Garrett away, ($100,) Then a couple of years later, I was reading an artical about detecting for gold, and found that to find gold, I should have turned the "discriminate" OFF!! (lol)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
My dream machine would allow you to see into the ground for around 2-3 feet. It would be like looking through a window and all you would see is whatever items were directly beneath the coil. That way you would NEVER miss a good target and you could even dig cool junque if you wanted................. well you said DREAM machine...

Acutally if you are talking right now, real world, I would LOVE to have an E-trac, but the wife says "NO" to a new machine and since she is the Accounting Department here I have to listen. With one kid having oral surgery that is costing $5,000 and another having surgery June 10th, then Braces in July she says there is no $$$ in the budget. I asked for grant from the Federal Government to buy one for "Histroical Archiving" but never heard back. LOL

I hear the E-trac is a great machine.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
How about a detector with a holographic 3D display. The detected object would rotate in the air jest over your hand.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
I would basically want an IPOD touch display/control box with its clear resolution, thin profile, super light weight and touch screen, I would make a carbon fiber rod for it, with a carbon fiber ultra light weight 12in coil. As far as features I still love the xlt's target ID system, and layout but if I can dream about more advanced features I would want a few different modes one of which would be true target imaging almost like GPR, I would also want a built in GPS which could be used to mark the exact location of my finds, so say I dig a large cent at a cellar hole I could actually hit a button, mark those exact coordinates then go home and upload it to a map which will show its location on the map, its reading on the detector IE "quarter", time found etc. This technology has been around for years so I am suprised detectors dont offer a GPS find tracker system I think it would be a cool feature to have and very useful.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
JImmy[Pa]: your idea sounds nice except for the record keeping. I call that the IRS feature.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here's a craze one, for ones who don't like heavy detectors.OKM has announced the FS-Airscan IT is a flying detector. The ad sayes"Fly over an acre and scan underground" You realize this not only solves the weight problem, but the question about coil scan height! [email protected] picture is in treasure cache 2009 pg.37

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I was in a store looking at the sale items and what do you think I found? It was a small hand held detector that showed the dept of targets, If it was metal or something else. It was a highly advanced stud finder. What a pinpointer it would make! It not only finds the target, but tells you how far it is from the probe. I put it on the cardboard display and it found the steel frame 3' behind it. It indicates 3" on its screen. I should have bought it.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If anyone knows what an oscilloscope is, then you know you can read the different wave lengths that different metals make, all you have to figure out is, the power supply that this thing would consume. I know an old Radio/T.V. tech that was working on something like this, (an O scope for the detector screen)............NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread