The forgotten transit point

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or so it seems. Just a month into the whole MD world I can't help myself but tell this story. I receive my 1st detector tomorrow and keep in mind that this property has never been metal detected to the land owners knowledge (since 1960's). O.k. on to the property. I say "transit point" because the property sits on what was a wharf and the end of the line for a rail line built in 1898. People would travel by boat with produce and other goods as well as for school and stop at this wharf to get on the train. Waterfowl hunters would also arrive at this site by rail, there is even written history of a u.s. president arriving here for a hunt. The structures that where once there are long gone as well as the rail line pulled up during scrap drives of WW2 but the wharves are still there. My landlord who owns the property has permitted me to MD so I'm good to go there, unless maybe I come up short on the rent. :-\ He also said he had a map of the structures that where on the property. I've done hours upon hours of research on this property and another dating back to the late 1600's and now I'm just itching to get out there. I won't be able to do this for another week and a half and its just nagging at my mind. Some of the people that I've spoke to about it think I'm half nuts but I think there is a possibility for some great finds. What do you guys think? Instead of just making another thread I'll update this one as I get to diggin. Thanks for reading.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a promising piece of land there and has all the markings of discovering some good finds. It seems that this area was a major transportation hub at some point and that many "careless" people have traveled that area. Get your shovel ready and good luck :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my first trip out there I came up empty handed. 4 hours with nothing to show for. I found crushed beer cans and misc junk. My landlord said I may have better luck along where the rail line was. It was blazing hot but I gave it a shot. He told me the rail line went like 60 yards into the water, and I could see the pilings that went out into the water. I followed that line on land and when I got about 50 yards from the edge of the water I got a big hit. My detector only shows coins, rings, silver, nails, caps, and foil but it was jumping all over the place in one target. So I started digging and it turned into hard clay. This thing was a nightmare, I kept digging and scanning and after a foot and a half down and an hour later I came upon what looks like a steel plate, probably 8inch X 14inch. I didn't dig the hole big enough to pull it out so I don't really know how big it is. I dug down an inch on the side of it and there was wood ashes under it. It had 3 modern looking bolts on the plate one of which was loose. Next time I'm out there, if I get bored I might try and dig the thing up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread