Help opening safe

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500GTI/Minelab Explorer SE
I need help opening an older safe. I am pretty sure I have the combination, but the safe won't open when I turn the dial. I have put the combination in Left Right Left, and Right Left Right, just like a combination lock, but nothing happens. The safe is very solidly built, probably 1950's and is bolted down or something similar in the rear of a closet, so cutting it open isn't really an option. Any ideas would be helpful.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure you're making the correct amount of turns? I'm trying to think without doing it, but the 2nd number you have to do a complete rotation before stopping on it, then the last two numbers it's the first stop on them. Basically what I'm making sure is you're not hitting the second number on a part turn. I know very little about safes so maybe some work different.

Keychainman

Oct 20, 2008
Petal, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 & Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me that you don't have the right combo. Usually you turn the dial 4 times to the left, 3 times to the right, 2 times to the left, then to the right till the dial stops. Or you can try the factory code which is 50,25,50... Then if that fails, call a locksmith which he/she might be able to pull off the dial and drill a hole and put in a borescope and watch the dials move to the right location that the fence will drop in the slots in the wheels to open the lock.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keychainman said:
Sounds to me that you don't have the right combo. Usually you turn the dial 4 times to the left, 3 times to the right, 2 times to the left, then to the right till the dial stops. Or you can try the factory code which is 50,25,50... Then if that fails, call a locksmith which he/she might be able to pull off the dial and drill a hole and put in a borescope and watch the dials move to the right location that the fence will drop in the slots in the wheels to open the lock.

That makes more sense. I've opened one of these many times but without turning the dial I was having a heck of a time trying to figure out the turns. In other words it's been empty a long time and i have no reason to open it. :)

T

TreasurdiggrNY

I've opened a few safes for people, As stated above you not only need the numbers but you need to know how many turns before you stop at the number.
If you have the numbers but not the instructions you may be able to google the safe name and get the instructions. The safe may also have a service company sticker with a number you can call?
Good Luck

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keychainman said:

What he said, though on mine its 3 turns to the left, 2 to the right and left to the last number.

Then you kick it at the left bottom and whack it at the top right and it opens :wink:

OP
OP
Jowlz

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the suggestions. The safe is a Mosler. It was left to me by my great uncle, and was from moved from his Jewelry store when he retired/sold the business. I am pretty certain of the combination. I will try turning the dial more times. I was turning it the way I turn my safe, 2times past, 1 times past then to the number. I will try to add more turns. I'll search the net if that doesn't pan out.

I'm hesitant to call a safe company to open it. I am not really sure what is in it. If I have a professional come out...will they keep to themselves about the contents? Just curious....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jowlz said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The safe is a Mosler. It was left to me by my great uncle, and was from moved from his Jewelry store when he retired/sold the business. I am pretty certain of the combination. I will try turning the dial more times. I was turning it the way I turn my safe, 2times past, 1 times past then to the number. I will try to add more turns. I'll search the net if that doesn't pan out.

I'm hesitant to call a safe company to open it. I am not really sure what is in it. If I have a professional come out...will they keep to themselves about the contents? Just curious....

Do everything you can to do it yourself. Having anyone know you have a large safe at home is not a good idea.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

The most common turning directions are 4 times left to the first number 3 times right to the second number 2 times left to the third number 1 time right til the stop.
Note: Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise. Do not count the revolutions, count the individual number as it arrives at the index mark.
Good Luck

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Good advice by all , I'm thinkin . If you have the numbers you can spend a looong time sittin in front
twistin the dial with different turns before you call in a pro .
If you gotta call a pro , camp over his shoulder until the door starts to open . That's when you thank him for his services , pay him what he's owed , and send him on his way . Nunna his bidness what's behind the door .

OP
OP
Jowlz

Jowlz

Aug 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
TreasurDiggrNY said:
The most common turning directions are 4 times left to the first number 3 times right to the second number 2 times left to the third number 1 time right til the stop.
Note: Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise. Do not count the revolutions, count the individual number as it arrives at the index mark.
Good Luck

Thanks again to everyone. This is the way I finally got it to open. After doing as above, the handle lifted. In addition to turning the dial more times, the final turning of the dial to the right did it.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Jowlz said:
After doing as above, the handle lifted.

Isn't that a great feeling? goodjob.gif

Attachments

• goodjob.gif
    goodjob.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 462

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I have the same thing at my house, a dial safe in the floor and I have no clue what might be in it. The house renter doesn't know.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
mick56 said:
Well, what was in it??

With only 26 posts here, I suspect he/she got their answer and that's all we'll ever know...................

On the other hand, Jowlz, if you're still reading these posts, at least let us know if it was worth the effort or not ???

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
............... cricket noises ......................................

The silence is deafening.......................................

Suspense builds..................................................

...............more cricket noises .............................

:icon_scratch:

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Diggemall said:
With only 26 posts here, I suspect he/she got their answer and that's all we'll ever know...................

I hope it was actually his safe and he wasn't burglarizing someones house at the time of the post. Would I be considered an accessory? crampe.gif

Attachments

• crampe.gif
    crampe.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 389

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasurDiggrNY said:

I hope it was actually his safe and he wasn't burglarizing someones house at the time of the post. Would I be considered an accessory?

That's what I suspected and is why I gave incorrect directions to open it. ;D

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jowlz said:
I need help opening an older safe. I am pretty sure I have the combination, but the safe won't open when I turn the dial. I have put the combination in Left Right Left, and Right Left Right, just like a combination lock, but nothing happens. The safe is very solidly built, probably 1950's and is bolted down or something similar in the rear of a closet, so cutting it open isn't really an option. Any ideas would be helpful.

I once had a very old office safe where the tumblers were so worn the numbers could be right on, plus 1 or minus 1.

A lock smith might ruin the safe but you needn't worry about them stealing stuff. I'm pretty sure. :)

One interesting feature of my old safe was the glass vile full of tear gas liquid, that I didn't know was behind the dial. So someone trying to drill or punch a hole around the dial would get a face full of gas.

Call you local locksmith and they should be able to tell you the correct right/left turns for your model safe. Good luck!

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D