Medal detecting around an old sod house

lawman7

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2010
M

miser

I can't imagine any old home site not being worth searching, especially if its virgin territory. Go for it.

Also, if you can locate the privy and are willing to invest the time to dig it out completely (probably a couple of days), you can be rewarded with all kinds of artifacts and bottles. Those old privy pits can be a goldmine.

As for searching around the sod house, a good first search idea is always around the doors, but fan out and cover everything. Things get dropped everywhere.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Unlike a standard construction home where you would have lots of iron hits near the structure from old roof work or otherwise, you should be clear in that regard.
Good Luck & keep us posted.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a good look around and think where people would be at. Then scope out a area and start swinging your coil. Good luck and make sure you show us your finds....Matt

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with everyone that's posted. Ultimately, however, the question would it be worth searching? can only be answered by giving it a go. Good targets often show up in what would seem to be the most unlikely spots and sometimes one good target will be found in an area that's pretty short on targets of interest. AND once in a while it's a bust. My two bits.
luvsdux

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Even one outstanding find would be worth the time and effort. My experience
is that dugouts and soddies were occupied only long enough to find a better
shelter. The things the settlers threw away are of interest now. I bring home
anything that was either blacksmith or machine made. The hard part is the
restoration. If you are not interested in relics or privy bottles you may find that
coins were mighty scarce and if found missing a thorough search was begun.
And that is the main reason coin hunters who search old places wind up as
relic hunters.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lastleg puts it very well. One problem with many old relics is what do you do with them once you've dug a bunch? After hauling home numerous rusty axe heads, horseshoes etc. I ended up with too much stuff that takes up room. That's what moved me into being more of a coin hunter than relic hunter although I still enjoy detecting around old logging/mining camps, farmsteads etc. All in all though, I consider myself an equal opportunity detectorist. I just plain like to know what's in the ground that made the detector go "beep".
HH
luvdux

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
luvsdux:

It is my belief that relics should be left in place instead of digging them and
pitching them at the base of the nearest tree. When you leave them out of the
ground they deteriorate much faster. Some freshly dug items don't show rust
until exposed to air. Cleaning them doesn't require much cost but it does take
time. Those axe heads clean up nicely using Dremel attachments. It you have
lots of rusty relics you can put them in a plastic bucket and cover with clear
cooking oil until you find time to restore. Just wipe and clean with paint thinner
before removing the crust. When you get all the rust off clean again before putting on a protective coating. I have found that this process reveals the hidden patent dates and markings that enhance the appeal and value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions