fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my son (fisher2) and i are having a debate is a vermont state copper considered an american coin or token
my argument is that before the federal mint the law allowed states to make thier own currancy and being there was no other use it should be considered a coin
it was called a copper because that was a slang term use by the britts for the penney

his argument is as follows:
1) no were on the coin does it say any value
2) the red book only calls it a copper

thanks for your votes

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since they were made to be used in America & The term
America Predates State coinage here, Yes
State coins are American coins.

American State coins or
"Early American" may be a better term though.

They however are not coins of the United States Mint,
obviously

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To further muddy the waters, Vermont did not become a state until 1791. They considered themself an independent republic. The legend on the obverse of the landscape coppers reads, Vermonts, Vermontis, or Vermontensium Republica.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reply deleted no longer being relevant. I think the link I posted below answers the question.

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have to disagree with iron patch as at that time we accepted a verity of foreign coins as currecny at that time also the "coin" was made for vermont and only vermont as you said the coin was also minted intill the state republic became an actual state as they where not a state at the time of minting and nowhere does it say it was made for international deals it was a forign coin we accepted it was not an united states coin at that time in order to be a united states coin by legality it has to have a face value as these did not we made it have a reglagated value based on weight in vermont where it was the currency of its value was "one vermont" we may have accepted it but it was not an amarican coin

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fisher2 said:
i have to disagree with iron patch as at that time we accepted a verity of foreign coins as currecny at that time also the "coin" was made for vermont and only vermont as you said the coin was also minted intill the state republic became an actual state as they where not a state at the time of minting and nowhere does it say it was made for international deals it was a forign coin we accepted it was not an united states coin at that time in order to be a united states coin by legality it has to have a face value as these did not we made it have a reglagated value based on weight in vermont where it was the currency of its value was "one vermont" we may have accepted it but it was not an amarican coin

"The Republic of Vermont became the first American local government to authorize and establish a mint to produce coins."

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/VT-Copper.intro.html

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fmerg:
Historically, coins did not need to be stamped with value (denomination) to be considered as money.
"Monetary scholars have defined there to be three criteria which must be met for an object to be a "true coin". These criteria are:

1.It must be made of a valuable material, and trade for close to the intrinsic value of that material
2.It must be of a standardized weight and purity
3.It must be marked to identify the authority that guarantees the content."

Don.......
Source: http://www.fleur-de-coin.com/articles/whatisacoin.asp

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Vermont proclaimed itself to be an independent republic and remained so until admitted to the union as the fourteenth state on March 4, 1791"
contradictory vermont was part of the usa at that time

il find more later i gotta go for now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread