luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As mentioned often above, there are a good number of suitable machines in that price range. You would do quite well with either White's M6 or MXT. Very good selection of coils, true auto ground tracking, well built machines by a very reliable manufacturer and plenty of advice from the many that hunt with them. Both are ID machines with knobs so you don't have to spend a bunch of time learning to scroll through menus = more detecting, less fiddling. Not the only choices, but either will find a lot of goodies for you.
luvsdux

BarryU

Greenie
Jun 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Any machine has to be used to learn the sounds and understand what it is telling the operator. I perfer Fisher and for the money you can get a F5 and another detector(BOGO) from Kelleyco for way under $800. Good luck and stay positive. ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
teknetics 8000 --total package --with 3 coil's - 5 in , 10 in and 11 in DD coil--$799

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Allen, you know what me and weaver would tell you. We love our xlt's. Whatever you do don't buy a Garrett GTI 2500, I had one for 5 years and got spanked on a regular basis by an xlt and a Nautilus. I know there a lot of Minelab people here. I have hunted 2 or 3 times with a guy with a Minelab (Fred B) who has around 40 years experience hunting with all kind of detectors. We took him to at least one of our hunted out spots and he was unable to come up with anything. Our other partner (Jim A) has a Nautilus. We took him to another of our hunted out spots and he digs Spanish silver around the size of a paper thin half dime at a solid 10". The Nauti can hit a minie ball at 18". For relic hunting you can't beat a Nauti. For the kind of hunting we do you need something that can weed thru the junk. I am not an expert by any means, but i know what i know. Have a good one Allen and Good Luck.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Bazinga said:

This.

Allen said:
Shambler, you lose old buddy, im going to pm everyone with your dirty little "secret".

WTF is wrong with you? Do your parents know you're on the computer this late, and using a picture of Aunt BobbyJean and Uncle Cletus for your avatar?

Everyone knows you already sold your machine to this lovely little girl - your decorations are perfect for her:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,330646.0.html

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Shambler, I hate to jump in the middle of this but i just can't help myself.
I don't know Allen real well. Me and Weaver hunted with him once or twice.
He doesn't seem like the bs-ing type to me. I know that i have never dug a
coin that i could verify over 7" deep with all the detectors i have used. At
the same time I don't think Allen would just make this up. I have no reason
not to take him at his word. Now on to what i really wanted to tell you.
I don't think you would be so nasty in person, Allen is built like a bull and
he is red headed. I don't know how many fights you have ever been but i
have been in enough to know that i wouldn't advise making him mad.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
only in cyberland -do some folks feel its "safe" to be so rude -- because in the real world they might get a fist to the mush. :boxing: :nono: -- cyber bullies -- you so bad.

here in fla i commonly hit 8 inches on old real copper type pre 82 cents with my old ace 250 (now my back up --currently using a delta 4000-- better IDing ability)-- while not the everyday norm -- i think under the right soil conditons it is possible to have hit a 10 inch silver dime.--- dimes do hit well as do quarters on the ace 250 -- since it was designed mainly as a "coin finding " machine really -- of course there are better machines out there but at much higher prices -- but the ace 250 ain't a toy like some think it is --in skilled hands its not bad in the 8 to 10 inch depth range on finding coins.

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Hi Allen .

With the $800 you are in a position to get yourself one heck of a good detector Take your time as you are planning to and if possible try out any and all that may catch your interest . I like Iron Patch's idea about buying a big package deal at a good price and selling off what you don't plan on using to cut down the cost .If you can buy something from someone local ( individual or dealer ) money can be taken off for the price of shipping , you can eliminate the worry of damage during shipping and you can try out the machine and have questions answered before buying it .As far as machines the ones I currently own are the the Explorer SE , White's M6 and a Tesoro built Troy X2 . Each one has it's special use for the different types of detecting I do . It sounds like your Ace 250 works well for you , I would suggest you hang on to it . It's always good to have a spare machine you are familiar with In case your newer machine should ever need to be sent in for repairs . Good luck with your new machine whatever it turns out to be .

H H ,
George

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Hey Shambler, I hate to jump in the middle of this but i just can't help myself.
I don't know Allen real well. Me and Weaver hunted with him once or twice.
He doesn't seem like the bs-ing type to me.

If he hadn't PM'd (several times) me and two other super guys with foul language and disgusting innuendos, he wouldn't be singled out. You might find him a super person, but the repulsive PM's show different. Once he was put on ignore, he registered new accounts just to send more immature and revolting comments. In my world, saying things about wives and daughters is considered bad form. Saying the things he did should've gotten him banned at least.

I'd be happy to show anyone the shocking PMs.

I don't think you would be so nasty in person, Allen is built like a bull and
he is red headed. I don't know how many fights you have ever been but i
have been in enough to know that i wouldn't advise making him mad.

Fighting is for kids and drunks or more accurately drunk kids, but if you think you're going to threaten family members and it's going to go away, you're not the sharpest guy.

How can a guy with almost 17,000 posts not know what detector he can buy for $800? Forum games.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Shambler said:
Ok, you're right. get one of these:

White's XLT, White's QXT, Minelab X-Terra 305

They're good machines and Allen might even like them. Why do you stalk the guy? He made a claim about depth and you disagree. Get over it already.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some subtleties exist that you may also want to consider before making an investment. Depending on your future plans or desires look into coil availability and cost as well as 3rd party coils. One reason I have a Whites MXT and V3 is that they use the same family of coils so it saves some money and storage space. The M6 is also compatible but the XLT coils are not. If you buy an XLT ad a coil or two then buy another Whites down the road like the V3 the coils will not swap. Other manufacturers could have similar design considerations in their respective product lines. The detector should feel comfortable in your hand and the sounds it makes shouldn't drive you nuts. Everyone is different. The Whites machines work good for me. I have a Tesoro DeLeon which is a great machine, but it is not "compatible" with my brain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread