Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shambler said:
Hey Shambler, I hate to jump in the middle of this but i just can't help myself.
I don't know Allen real well. Me and Weaver hunted with him once or twice.
He doesn't seem like the bs-ing type to me.

If he hadn't PM'd (several times) me and two other super guys with foul language and disgusting innuendos, he wouldn't be singled out. You might find him a super person, but the repulsive PM's show different. Once he was put on ignore, he registered new accounts just to send more immature and revolting comments. In my world, saying things about wives and daughters is considered bad form. Saying the things he did should've gotten him banned at least.

I'd be happy to show anyone the shocking PMs.

I don't think you would be so nasty in person, Allen is built like a bull and
he is red headed. I don't know how many fights you have ever been but i
have been in enough to know that i wouldn't advise making him mad.

Fighting is for kids and drunks or more accurately drunk kids, but if you think you're going to threaten family members and it's going to go away, you're not the sharpest guy.

How can a guy with almost 17,000 posts not know what detector he can buy for $800? Forum games.
Shambler, you are pissed off because I wouldnt drive to Indianoplis to detect with you and prove im pretty handy with my ace 250.
By the way dude, it was you who started running your mouth about my family.
To me you are just a waste of air and space that could be used for a real person.
Get over it and get on with your life...
And the remark about me with 17,000 post and not sure what type of detector I wanted,
I simply was asking for others oipinions before making a huge purchase.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen some nice XLT's go for 400.00 and less. I know mine works great in this here Ky soil.
Let me know if you need a ride to Shamblers place up in Indy Ole Cletus, I'll detect while your swingin. I hope he's a big fella with red hair too. :laughing9:

Hill

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hill Billy said:
I've seen some nice XLT's go for 400.00 and less. I know mine works great in this here Ky soil.
Let me know if you need a ride to Shamblers place up in Indy Ole Cletus, I'll detect while your swingin. I hope he's a big fella with red hair too. :laughing9:

Hill

Hill, maybe put the gingers in a steel cage. (with no discrimination.... make that lots of discrimination) :laughing9: I think the shambler would get rocked. :boxing: ;D

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hill Billy said:

Hill
I was hoping youd hold the videocamera
and we could put it up on youtube :thumbsup:
Iron Patch said:
Hill Billy said:

Hill

Hill, maybe put the gingers in a steel cage. (with no discrimination.... make that lots of discrimination) :laughing9: I think the shambler would get rocked. :boxing: ;D
I wont lie, I fight to hurt the other person as bad as I can. :laughing7:

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace 250s are indeed hot on silver dimes--but I'd say 10"is pushing it. Does it AIR TEST at 10" on a silver dime?
Like I told Shambler before all this took place, maybe it was luck, maybe it was just my time or it wasa a possibilty it was the wet soil that helped me unearth that dime at 10 inches.
But I know im telling the God honest truth. :coffee2:

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi Allen,

As has been said already on this thread, everyone has an opinion of the best detector......including me! So here's my two cents.

My first ever detector was the Ace250. I loved the thing and hunted every chance I got. At the end of my second summer of detecting, I had about $700 in clad. I'd saved it for the sole purpose of upgrading to a machine with more capabilities. Because of the time it took to save the money, like you I was determined to be really careful about my purchase. I thought long and hard about what I wanted the detector to do for me, and decided above all else I loved hunting for silver coins. Long story short is I ended up buying a used Explorer II with a Sunray probe. And after my first three outings, I knew I had made the right choice.

Yes, there is a learning curve (and I'm still on it) but I can't imagine that someone with your experience would have too much trouble in learning the basics. So if you're considering this route and worry that these machines are too difficult to learn...don't. As I'm sure you remember when you first started detecting, you kept learning more about your machine with every trip....but still made finds in the meantime.

Hope this helps.

MP

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Good God - bring a step ladder. ;D

So..... three folks that responded use Explorers and two of them suggested you to get one. Are you going to heed that advice? If you do, the invite to my good spots is off because I know what an experienced Explorer user can accomplish. :hello:

You'll understand what I mean.

dfg4240

Jun 26, 2008
Pittsford,NY
Detector(s) used
whites eagle Spectrum. Mxt, Silver umax, Bandido ll umax, X-terra 70, Xterra-705, fisher F5, fisher CZ-70 pro
(3)Tejons, 3-Cibola, Teknetics T2, minelab Safari. Minelab SE Pro, Fisher CZ-3d. (2)el
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had quite a few machines-They all seem to be good at 4 to 5 inches, after that It could be a Tyrannosaurus rex with a gold filling in its tooth and they can't tell you what is. Now in come the big dollar machines.They can get down there nice and deep but they can be fooled and you have to know what it is telling you.
That takes practice.
Go to metaldetector reviews and see what users have to say about a machine.
There was a guy I think his name was Lucky Larry or something like that and he talked a lot about a cheap machine called the Silver Unax.
Do you think he was right.
40 reviews and all give it a 5.0 rating another cheap one was the Cibola which had a 5.0 rating for quite awhile but it is still up there.
Look at the ratings.
As for me - of the minelabs I had the X-terra 70 and the 705 and I thought the 705 was better.
Not a lot but better especially in prospector mode. I also had the XS-2 pro and the Safari which for me was the best of them.
There are so many things you can do with it,expecially cross-saving where anything with Iron brings a low tone and the good stuff is a high tone.
i really liked it. I had the SE pro and that is a good machine also.
I had the silver umax and the Cibola and can tell you they can go as deep or deeper than a lot of big dollar machines-They just don't have a display screen to mess up your mind about what target is down there.
As for my self I just like to have two machines all the time and compare them and keep the one that is the best of the two. I sell the other in the forum
then I get another machine and do the same thing. I don't care if they are the best but I like getting a new machine and checking it out against others that I had in the past.
I just bought a CZ -3D and I will try that and so on and so on.
Well I am jabbering to much now.
I would be careful about spending a lot of dollars on a high end machine. Read the machine forums there is a ton of tips and advice in them.
Better than reading a book.
Later
David

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Check out the Teknetics Omega 8000 with the 3 coils. It can do almost everything the big boys do at half the price. It's really a great machine but don't take my word for it. Do a search on it and you will see others feel the same way.

Gobpile

Mar 19, 2010
Underground
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Garrett GTI2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure its been said before, just because a machine costs more it doesn't mean it will automatically out hunt a lower cost machine.It seams lots of people buy the most expensive detector and never take the time to learn it and then they give up.Ive seen guys with 200 dollar detectors consistently out detect the guy with the 1000 dollar machine because they know it so well.I think the majority loose faith with there current detector because they read about or see another one with even better bells and whistles.Stick with what works for you,if you like Garrett stick with them and upgrade to a better machine in there line.I learned with Whites and have always stayed with them.I have tried other brands and I always go back to Whites.Once you loose faith with your machine your finds will decrease!I see this trend over and over again.Good luck upgrading!

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys im leaning towards the xlt and if its too sophisicated for