$800 machines

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
allen said:
What is the best detector for under $800 ?
I love my ace 250, but I want to upgrade
to a bigger and better machine, any thoughts ?
That post by you can surely start a war on here!People with $800 machines still buy others all the time looking for something better in their minds,I know,I've been there and still look everytime I see something new.Therefore,I will not give an opinion on which machine you should look for.Try and find a dealer that you can trust and try different machines.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll get everyone telling you to buy their favorite detector, so not sure how much help asking will be. But having said that, you can get one sweet Explorer II set up for under $800. I got one a while back. It was off the classifieds here for about $700 and the detector was in fantastic condition and a next to new Sunray probe. I flipped the probe, and didn't need the SEF coil that came on it, so that was $300 of my money back. So in the end I was only out about $400 a perfect explorer II and could use my other coils. I have done that many times, often buying a huge package and selling off everything to get the detector cheap.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There are many detectors in the $800 range that will do almost anything you would want. Having said that, I guess it all depends on what type of hunting you are planning to do. Gold prospecting,coin shooting,relic hunting,beach combing,water hunting? There are too many variables involved to just recommend one.While all machines will do average in most of these conditions,some machines are better in certain types of ground conditions than others. To narrow your search, you will first have to determine what type of ground will be it be used for the most.Good Luck. rockhound

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can find a used DFX for a couple hundred, or like Iron Patch said, a used Explorer II.

ffd

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Why would anyone upgrade if they're getting 10" dimes with the ACE250 (IN THE GROUND!)?

There are maybe 5 detectors on the market that can even do that - and two of them are OLD Fisher machines.

ironpatch said:
you can get one sweet Explorer II set up for under $800.

That's too big of a step up from the Ace250 for this guy.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Shambler said:
Why would anyone upgrade if they're getting 10" dimes with the ACE250 (IN THE GROUND!)?

There are maybe 5 detectors on the market that can even do that - and two of them are OLD Fisher machines.

ironpatch said:

If the Ace250 can locate dimes at 10" deep, then I now can understand how other detectorists with high-end machines are locating coins at 24" or better.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Shambler said:

ironpatch said:

If the Ace250 can locate dimes at 10" deep, then I now can understand how other detectorists with high-end machines are locating coins at 24" or better.

24" is a load of bull. Those folks should check their measuring tape to make sure it's marked in Inches, not centimeters!

Ace 250s are indeed hot on silver dimes--but I'd say 10"is pushing it. Does it AIR TEST at 10" on a silver dime?

If you want a machine that has knobs, then go for a mid-level or upper level Tesoro.

If you want screens and displays, then you're gonna have a learning curve that's even steeper.

There are lots of options out there, and a lot of them are good ones.

-Buck

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you wanting new or used. There is a lot of good used machines you can get for under $800. What kind of detecting are you wanting to do. Coins, relic, beach or water. All of this you will have to decide......Matt

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mostly hunt for coins, jewelery and relics.
Most of the places I hunt here in Shelby County
has a dark gritty soil that is easy to dig through.
My son wants my Ace 250, so I figured im going to have some extra money in Sept or early Oct and want to go to a better machine sand the ace 250 will help my son get involved in detecting.
Shambler said:

ironpatch said:

Shambler, are you still running that mouth? Do you never learn? Take a hint buddy and do a Kurt Coblain for us, ok ?
24" is a load of bull. Those folks should check their measuring tape to make sure it's marked in Inches, not centimeters!

Ace 250s are indeed hot on silver dimes--but I'd say 10"is pushing it. Does it AIR TEST at 10" on a silver dime?

If you want a machine that has knobs, then go for a mid-level or upper level Tesoro.

If you want screens and displays, then you're gonna have a learning curve that's even steeper.

There are lots of options out there, and a lot of them are good ones.

-Buck
I only have one witness and that was my wife the day I found that dime at 10 inches.
Maybe it was luck, but it really happened.

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry if I rambled on with that last post, just one member who replied to this post
really irks me and its not Buckleboy, I respect what he says and I look up to him. :icon_sunny:
Well guys I will do some research and decide which detector to buy in the coming months,
thank you all for your input and advice.
Have a great day everyone and good luck on all of your hunts !

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler said:
ironpatch said:

You're right! What was I thinking! Imagine the consequences of failing to tame the beast.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on Craigs List from time to time...I sold my 3 year old Minelab SE for 800 on it...I still have the probe and several coils and misc items from it that I use on my Etrac.
I paid 950 for it. I made out good on it...So look at Craig's list too.

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im sure like everyone else it may take me awhile, but I could learn any machine.
For the one who doesnt think I can, quit hating , you are not worthy of my time.
You all have a great day and hope everyone has a wonderful time detecting. :coffee2:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Allen, I gotta say, I'm sure you could tackle any dirt machine out there. With as much a chance as anyone else! ffd

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
He'll be detecting silver halves on the ground in China if he tames an Explorer like he did his ACE250, which finds silver dimes at 10" (yet air tests at 6" on max sens). Seriously, you're wasting your time with an Explorer if you've managed that type of performance out of the ACE - buy another ACE. Absolutely ZERO reason to upgrade.

YELLOW-DINGER-TAMER said:
Shambler, are you still running that mouth? Do you never learn? Take a hint buddy and do a Kurt Coblain for us, ok ?

I thought for sure it was Kurt COBAIN! Spelling isn't necessary though when you can take electromagnetic devices and double their performance with only a touch of your stubby fingers.

fistfullofdirt said:
Allen, I gotta say, I'm sure you could tackle any dirt machine out there. With as much a chance as anyone else!

He does pretty much rock the brains!

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shambler said:
He'll be detecting silver halves on the ground in China if he tames an Explorer like he did his ACE250, which finds silver dimes at 10" (yet air tests at 6" on max sens). Seriously, you're wasting your time with an Explorer if you've managed that type of performance out of the ACE - buy another ACE. Absolutely ZERO reason to upgrade.

YELLOW-DINGER-TAMER said:

I thought for sure it was Kurt COBAIN! Spelling isn't necessary though when you can take electromagnetic devices and double their performance with only a touch of your stubby fingers.

fistfullofdirt said:
Allen, I gotta say, I'm sure you could tackle any dirt machine out there. With as much a chance as anyone else!

He does pretty much rock the brains!
Shambler, old buddy, old pal, old friend, I thought you was over been jealous of me dude.
Why dont you take up skydiving, just do all of us a favor and dont wear a parachute, okay ?
My chubby little fingers makes a nice size fist and I bet if you keep running your lips you'll find out, now stfucs !!!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know if there is a best detector under $800 but there are many that will work for you. Like you said you just have to learn the machine. I would recommend checking the Whites and Minelab dealers and getting a hands on and see what you like the best. Good luck and let us know which machine you got.

M

miser

Ok, how about purchasing a Tesoro Cortes? It's an ideal machine you can get for $800, works great everywhere (except underwater), has a lifetime warranty, and doesn't weight a ton so you can swing it all day.

I know everyone is a fanatic about particular brand names because they use them to great effect.

What about you Allen, any brands you have a particular love for?

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There are some great coinshooting machines to be had for under $800. Almost all manufacturers are good at making coin machines. That is their number one selling machine. Whichever manufacturer or machine you choose, you will only need to consider the options.In trashy areas notch discrimination is valuable.For depth, adjustable threshold is great.Manual ground balance is also great for varying ground conditions.A good selection of coils,concentric,DD, and elliptical are great for increasing your finds in varying soils.A TID screen may or may not be vital,as it depends on what your preferance is.Some are really conplicated to set up,unlike a turn on and go detector like the Ace 250.Others have the option to run in automatic mode,then lets you learn to program as you become more confortable with the machine.Some are extremely heavy,while others can be swung all day without fatigue.Ther are many things to consider when buying a top of the line, or near top of the line machine.I know some who buy machines to test,then sell, until they find the one that suits their needs, but this can be a costly proposition.Ther is no perfect machine, all have faults, all have good points.Some works better than others in certain environments,while the others will beat them in still other environments.Good Luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread