All Treasure Hunting
Re: SoCal Just Had An Earthquake

oh boy, what was it on the scale..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SoCal will aways have little quakes till 2012. :laughing7:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer

LA, rubble, tumble, crumble town. I lived in SoCal for three years and it always shakes. Unless it jolts you out of bed or your chair then it's a roller.

OP
OP
S

stefen

A 5.4 magnitude earthquake hit So Ca at about 4:53 p.m. near Borrego Springs located 28 miles south of Palm Springs.

The quake was felt for around 30 seconds in Los Angeles, San Diego and in Orange Counties, and was followed by a series of 3.0 magnitude aftershocks near Palm Springs.

A recent flurry of quakes has originated in that region and every once in a while, the earth decides to fart and burp...

Must be the chili being its near the California - Mexico border...

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Phewie - I wouldn't want to live on the San Andreas! (although - I believe this quake is not directly on the San Andreas) There have been a series of quakes beginning with a 7.2 in April... all migrating north towards the San Andreas.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/07/california.earthquake/
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/33.35.-118.-116.php
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/us/05quake.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,313807.0.html (posted April the about the 7.2)

There have been about 100 aftershocks in the past hour.

It is interesting to note - that the Southern California Earthquake Center called the 5.7 quake in Ocotillo CA on June 14th, "an aftershock" of the 7.2 quake April 4th in Baja CA. If that is true - then this 5.4 is an aftershock as well, or at least a VERY scary pattern.

Hmm, edit: just read this....

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/07/strong-earthquake-hits-san-diego-county/

It IS on a strand of the San Andreas... and USGS scientists say it's NOT an aftershock.... I'm sorry to tell them, but this IS an aftershock... there have been a series of them erupting towards the north... California is cracking! :o

Scary article!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 32.34.-118.-116.gif
    32.34.-118.-116.gif
    40.4 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
S

stefen

I'm shaking so much I don't think I can drive...belay that...it was
just another shaker...whew :laughing7:

Besides leaving it with you...I may as well grab my ankles and kiss my butt goodby.

Hell man...that truck would be a rolling supply store for your next crop of diggers.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
According to Latin lore (superstition?) after an earthquake is the best time to see
"Treasure Lights" over gold. I have been in SoCal 48 years, just haven't looked
in the right place yet.
Rich

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just looking at the most recent map of Southern California's seismicity tells me it's time to shut down San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station! (why do we build nuclear plants near known dangerous faults anyway?)

Attachments

• 27.37.-120.-110.gif
    27.37.-120.-110.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 252
OP
OP
S

stefen

Contrary to the opinion of what others outside of the region may express, unlike most of the recent earthquake activity in Southern California, it was not an aftershock of the massive 7.2 quake on Easter Sunday in northern Mexico.

Quoting Bob Dollar, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey; “This is a completely different fault system — the San Jacinto fault, it’s a very active fault." He said, "the fault system has seen a number of good jolts over the decades, the most recent a magnitude 6.5 quake in 1968. While it is too soon to know for certain, it is possible that April’s 7.2 quake in Mexico and the thousands of aftershocks that followed might have triggered or influenced Wednesday’s quake.I think this whole area is probably undergoing a certain amount of stress right now, ” he said. “This is actually an area that we’ve been watching.”

“The San Jacinto is generally considered to be the most active fault in Southern California,” he said.

And contrary to hyped up news reports, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and 6 Flags always halt rides as a safety precaution....and not because the rides stopping was caused by the quake...

By the way, the News Services hyped up the damage reports as being extensive...I guess a few bottles of wine falling from a shelf is, in fact, devastating.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Marc,
You wonder why nuclear powerplants are buit near earthquake faults. I think the answer is
to put them on floating barges in a quiet bay. The navy has them on submarines, immune
to earthquakes.
Rich

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That wasn't an earthquake. A sheep hauler was driving thru Frisco and turned over when all the sheep leaned over to look for folks they knew.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
stefen said:
Contrary to the opinion of what others outside of the region may express, unlike most of the recent earthquake activity in Southern California, it was not an aftershock of the massive 7.2 quake on Easter Sunday in northern Mexico.

Quoting Bob Dollar, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey; “This is a completely different fault system — the San Jacinto fault, it’s a very active fault."

I wrote this to the U.S.G.S. yesterday.....

entitled: Earthquake animations - and why the U.S.G.S. is wrong about the Borrego Springs quake.

Code:
Hi,

I have been GLUED to your website for quite a few years - I am fascinated by
your sensor data maps.

Recently, the USGS stated that the 5.4 earthquake July 7th at Borrego Springs
was NOT an aftershock of the Easter 7.2 quake.

I contend, that if you look at a time lapse animation starting July 2009 of the
Baja-California border - you will see a distinct correlation between the 6.9 on
August 3rd 2009, the 7.2 on April 4th, and the 5.4 on July 7th. There have been
MANY minor events connecting all three.

There has been a distinct ripping northward, connecting all three events (and
MANY in between) So, I am unsure why it is not called an aftershock. Must
an aftershock occur on the same fault as the earlier quake? If aftershock is
not the right word perhaps a new term like "rippleshock" is in order!

Is there anyway you can make an animation of the greater Baja-CA border area
from July 2009 to Now?

Thanks if you can put together the animation..... would LOVE to see it.

Marc Austin

.... and if you look at what I posted April 7th, where I shaded an area where activity IS connected, is it a coincidence the Borrego Springs quake occurred exactly in the area I shaded? I think not.

pattern.jpg

In this animation, you can clearly see the events traveling northward.

I still framed something interesting.... from a USGS animation. On July 6th, around 10-12 noon (the way I had to still frame it the time might be 12:00 - not 10:00) There was a "blip". A reading that was later negated by seismologists for some reason. Was this some sort of low frequency foreshock seismologists decided was unimportant?

fore6.gif

Watch the animation closely at around 12:00 July 6th, and you will see it. All red events turn blue... and stay there. This one disappears.

EDIT: Just found this article... and instead of calling them aftershocks, or my own term, "rippleshocks" - there is actually a term "triggered earthquakes". How interesting.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/08/local/la-me-quake-20100708

I guess all I am saying in all of this is.... "they say" earthquakes can't be predicted. But when triggered earthquakes start migrating towards a dangerous fault - sometimes referred to as a 10-month pregnant woman - the San Andreas, well, a little more information SHOULD be getting out to the public - that contractions have started!

Watch Devore California next! The 215 and the I-15 could be a mess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread