A tip for all you newb detectorists...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd do a kindness and mention this embarrasing debacle that occurred yesterday. Hopefully, it will prevent the same thing from happening to someone else :tongue3:

After I dug my hole and put my pinpointer in it, the target completely disappeared. And this was a strong, repeatable, 360 degree, high pitched, sweet sounding silver target, so, I surely wasn't giving up on it.

After cursing my pinpointer a few times and re-checking the whole again with my detector, still no signal. Gone.

Dug a bit more and again checked the whole with both detector and pinpointer. Was starting to think "phantom hole" caused by decomposing iron in the dirt or such. After which I casually glanced down toward my lesche...

And noticed a coin stuck in a clump of dirt on my digger. The target was there all the while :help:

BTW, it turned out to be a common dime. Never worked that hard for 10 cents my whole life. And how was YOUR day :laughing7:

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Been there,done that! Thanks for the memory. Joe

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time I was hunting a field with a friend, my detector was acting crazy, and I was frustrated to the point of wanting to break the thing. I tried everything I could imagine for the 40 or so minutes it was acting erratic, but nothing would fix it. That was the last stop for the day, and only near the end did I realize when I brought my coil in close to my feet to pinpoint a target the coil was picking up a can of bug spray I had in my front pocket. :-\

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And don't wear steel tipped boots....or so I heard. ::)

Al

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
And don't wear steel tipped boots....or so I heard. ::)

Al

My friend did that..... once! He came straight from work to get a little more time to hunt and it took him a little while to figure his coil was seeing the boots. I tend to keep my coil pretty close to my feet and can't wear shoes with even the slightest amount of metal.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Iron Patch said:
One time I was hunting a field with a friend, my detector was acting crazy, and I was frustrated to the point of wanting to break the thing. I tried everything I could imagine for the 40 or so minutes it was acting erratic, but nothing would fix it. That was the last stop for the day, and only near the end did I realize when I brought my coil in close to my feet to pinpoint a target the coil was picking up a can of bug spray I had in my front pocket. :-\

Deep pockets or little legs?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

Neither, a kicka$$ detector.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

It's been a bit dormant lately though :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

Indeed it has!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

Indeed it has!

Mine too IP :-\

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
it happened to me once and it wont happen again!!! I always check my hole, then check the area around the hole, then i check my leache :tongue3:

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
one time I was checking a hole with my pinpointer and it keep going off, I tried to adjust it to no avail.
I notice some dirt near the tip and tried wiped it off, it would not move it was a small magnet stuck to the end of the pinpointer I had picked up in the hole ::)

B

Bev

One time I was digging and running the detector over the clump of dirt in my hand. It was going nuts, but I didnt realize that the detector was actually picking up the plate and screws in my wrist. Now I have to use my other hand!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
happened to me once until i figured out i had forgotten to take the wedding ring off of my finger. now i make sure i leave that thing at home! ;D

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mead Your detector had a high sweet clad pitch. " My detector told me it was silver"Lol

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
You mean Your detector had a high sweet clad pitch. " My detector told me it was silver"Lol

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bev said:
One time I was digging and running the detector over the clump of dirt in my hand. It was going nuts, but I didnt realize that the detector was actually picking up the plate and screws in my wrist. Now I have to use my other hand!

Attachments

• bionic-woman.jpg
    bionic-woman.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 336

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bev said:
No, you don't have to use the other hand.... just raise the discrimination.... LOL... just kidding! TTC

locolarry

Aug 7, 2010
Cary, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di PRO, WHITES GOLDMASTER 66TR, DETECTOR PRO HEADHUNTER
I just laughed out loud at the guy wearing steel-toed boots and having weird problems with the detector...........that was ME last Saturday...got in from work, put new batteries in the Whites..went outside to "look around by the driveway"..detector was absolutely NUTS! Finally went back in the house muttering...sat down to untie my boots..........steel-toed boots!...looked around to see if anyone was watching....... :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread