What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!!!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN, that's just TOO good a story. A bully named Betty. Or....... a Betty with balls. A Betty with hairy knuckles. Maybe "Betty" was a "Bob" at birth....................... or a real "Betty".

Dang, I've got to get off of this line of thinking. Too late at night for this. :laughing9: :laughing9: :tongue3:

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WOW! Love all the comments, some I may use in the future! LOL!

I can't recall off hand anything that someone has said, other than, "Find anything good" or "Finding anything" or "What have you found". I think one time when on the beach on the Chesapeae Bay, some 'snotty teen rich boys and girls' (you can tell!).. I had my headphones on, but even though it looks like they are on fully, I always keep the left side off the ear so I can hear around me. I only listen to my detector with my right ear. They were making all kinds of noise and mocking what I was doing. I acted like I didn't see them or hear them. When I was leaving that area, I walked right past them and took out the headphones and told them, "if you're going to mock the sound, this is how it sounds. Get it right" and then I pulled some of my trash out (i.e., fish hooks, broken glass (found while scooping), wire, etc) and said, "now you don't have to worry about running around barefoot, I just saved you from a tetnus shot" ... they were quiet and kinda' surprised I heard them. Guess they thought with headphones on, I could not hear them. Then they wanted to ask questions, but I had better things to do! This beach area is where everyone fishes alot...by the Lessner Bridge (for those who are local to this area know where I'm talking about).

Then another time at another local beach, on the ocean side, where private homes line the beach and they think THEY own the beach...had a bunch of young teens throwing money in my direction. Of course I picked it up...if your stupid enough to toss me your money, I'm smart enough to pick it up and keep it. I did Thank them as I was leaving!

But unless someone approaches me, I don't pay much mind to folks like that. The two above was when I first started detecting.

I even had kids come up to me, try to grab the detector and say, "Let me do it"... ahhh... NO! Show manners and ask politely!

But ya'll have some great comments...thanks for sharing!

daroofa

Apr 8, 2010
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!

Little girl in park carrying a bag: "Whatcha lookin for?"

Me: "Leprechauns, have you seen any?" (My standard answer for inquisitive children)

Girl (without missing a beat): "No, but I found a roll of duct tape." She reached into her bag and pulled out a roll of duct tape and said "See?", then went on her merry way, leaving me there laughing.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my new beach response, makes them curl up into a tight ball right there in the water.

"What are you doing?"
"Checking for beach lice."

Whooo....the faces you get with that one! :laughing7:

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Detecting Camp LaJune one time, lots of Marines on the beach also, they were laughing at me throwing all sorts of change. Yep you guessed it I picked up there change. Finally one of the young Marines ask me how much I found. I told them well not enough for a 6 pack yet, it's the only way my wife will let me drink!!! Please keep throwing the change I'm almost there! With that he walks back over to his cooler and offers me a beer!

While detecting in Clearwater beach one woman ask me if my instruments had picked up any high levels of toxens from the red tide. I said it identifies extremely high levels where the detector goes off. I then swept my coil across my monster scoop (she didn't see the end of the scoop). She hears the headset going off like crazy. She looks at me and runs out of the water.

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LMAO good one!!! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
Airmans Beach, Moses Lake, Wa. state, some 300 miles or so inland from the Pacific ocean. Older guy says, "Hey buddy, did you find any Gold Doubloons?" --------Duh yeah.

Same beach, same day. A cute little girl along with her mother walks up and asks, "Hi Mister, are you treasure hunting? I lost a hair pin in the water with a little Butterfly on it, did you find it?" Best most intelligent comment I have ever received. I reached into my trash pouch and gave it back to her. My reward-----smiles from both.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
hehehe! beat these ;D. I was at the beach and a lady from up north( we get a lot of snowbirds down here in the winter) asked me if my metal detector was a Unicycle? I politly said no. Another time a older man on the beach asked me if it if it finds fish :icon_scratch:. Again i said " no it find metal in the ground". im sure i will get asked more insane questions in the future :laughing9:

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Re: What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!

I got all these comments at the same park in the last two years.

"you shouldn't dig holes this is private property"

"wouldn't you make more money if you got a job"

"hey your killing the grass" (while his dog was taking a big dump)

A little kid asked his mother what I was doing while detecting near a playground.
She told him "I think he's homeless honey". That's one of the advantages of using Rattler
headphones, you can hear everything. Or maybe it's a disadvantage.
Maybe I should dress better.

Joe

miller433

Jun 29, 2010
N.E. Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 800, Soveriegn GT, Garrett 1500, Garrett Ace
Bigscoop you're a magnet for these comments.

Any one ever tell you "you look like a trucker" or "Festus" lately?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miller433 said:
Bigscoop you're a magnet for these comments.

Any one ever tell you "you look like a trucker" or "Festus" lately?

:laughing7: I'm so glad you got such a kick out of that!

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just this morning a guy walks up and asks all the standard questions (have you found anything good? etc.) Then he says if you happen to find a gold wedding band with a braided rose gold design, that's my wedding band that I lost. So I say to him: what part of the beach did you lose it? His reply: I lost it down in Florida. ( We we're in Connecticut! :dontknow:)

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
richm said:
Just this morning a guy walks up and asks all the standard questions (have you found anything good? etc.) Then he says if you happen to find a gold wedding band with a braided rose gold design, that's my wedding band that I lost. So I say to him: what part of the beach did you lose it? His reply: I lost it down in Florida. ( We we're in Connecticut! :dontknow:)

maybe he had a brain fart :laughing7:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
richm said:

You didn't know gold floats? And check the flow of the gulf stream...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Cherokee_Kidd said:
I was in a small town detecting a old park and 2 cops walked up to me and one of them said Young man , What are you doing? I looked at them kind of funny and knew I had to say something so I said I'm looking for something I lost. One of the cops said What did you lose ? I said My money. The cop said When did you lose it? I said About 110 years ago. The cop looked at me kind of funny and said What do you mean 110 years ago? I said Well sir you see I'm a vampire so I don't age and about 110 years ago I was forced to bury my money because I was going to meet my wifes family and I was ambushed by my in laws Buffy and Van Helsing. The cops looked at eachother and turned around and walked as fast as they could back to their car and sped away. I saw one of the cops later at Dairy Queen and he was sitting there eating when I walked in and he looked up and saw me and he got up and almost ran out of there as I walked over to order my burger. Apparently I was a little too convincing when I said I was a vampire.

And then people wonder "WHY" when "police brutality" charges are brought!!! :laughing9:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

The one stupid thing I here all the time from people ::) you won't find anything there ::)

SS

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I was down on the emerald coast in Seabastian inlet area . I was away from the beach and was detecting in a picnic area . This older woman was watching me and eventualy she saw me pick up a coin . She came over and gave me about 10 min ordeal on how any coins that I found were not mine . She told me that I should put them back and god would not approve of what I was doing . To which I replied .Well Mamm I prayed to god as to how I was going to feed myself . He told me to buy a metal detector .Cause no matter what I could allways find enough money to purchase something to eat and I would never go hungry . she reached in her purse and gave me 5 dollars .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
underdogger said:
I was down on the emerald coast in Seabastian inlet area . I was away from the beach and was detecting in a picnic area . This older woman was watching me and eventualy she saw me pick up a coin . She came over and gave me about 10 min ordeal on how any coins that I found were not mine . She told me that I should put them back and god would not approve of what I was doing . To which I replied .Well Mamm I prayed to god as to how I was going to feed myself . He told me to buy a metal detector .Cause no matter what I could allways find enough money to purchase something to eat and I would never go hungry . she reached in her purse and gave me 5 dollars .
:headbang: :notworthy:That is classic ! I hope you took it ;D Some people just shouldn't be allowed money without a brain included .

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told this story about a year ago in another thread but I think it's worth repeating:

One day, while hunting on a beach, a woman about 60 walked up and asked me if I would metal detect her head. She said a metal plate had been put in her head a few years back and she wondered if it would be detectable. She was delighted when it caused a very loud beep. Then I got out my hand-held pinpointer and exactly located it for her. It seemed to make her day. It certainly made mine. :laughing9:

But I'd pass if someone asked me if I could detect their pacemaker....wouldn't be a good idea.

scrubber

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread