would corregated culvert or drain pipe work as a long term gold trap???

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
If anchored and positioned well along the bottom of a creek or stream bed ( say at a spot i have in mind in Alaska :wink:), at a central convergance area of the water flow along the bottom....
...would several rows of 6" or 8" x 50' black corregated culvert or drain pipe work as a long term gold trap??? would it trap placer gold in the riffles yet keep itself somewhat clear of overburden with the natural flow of the water ???

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should work okay. Well worth the trial in my opinion.
luvsdux

S

stefen

Find a CMP culvert in a gold bearing area and test the theory...

Testing a theory beats endless discussions any day :coffee2:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here, and in some areas of the West, the culverts under the roads have unofficial owners that pan them out periodically, with excellent results I am told. A few large rocks strategically placed to break the flow helps also.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
something makes me think it may actually work, that is if it doesn't get knocked askew by ice, currents, or debris, or get completely flushed out by the heavy currents or fast water. i'd like to try it sometime.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have seen on th gold channel. They go out west and get into the culverts and get out the sand in riffels and they find gold. But with a piece that is 50 feet long. How are you planning on getting the sand and dirt out of it. If seems like if you cut it in half so you can get to all the riffles you should have a decent shot at ir. Just make sure you have it anchor down good.....Matt

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
I've heard it referred to as "absentee prospecting" . A friend of mine from Rumania told me that it was popular there to put sheepskin secured in the river . It trapped fine gold .

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to check this place out, and found I couldn't get there; someone had dug the culvert out of the road....

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
It does. When you get into the West, people have been checking those culverts out for a long time. Watch out, though. Some people consider those things their own private sluices. (And other people consider the national forests their personal gardening spaces.) Watch out for both kinds, as they are not always benign.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The corrugated drainage culverts that were put in place 50 or more years ago in Colorado ,
Montana , and the other rocky mountain states have been known to accumulate gold - as to
whether or not the concentrates are heavy enough to make it profitable , only going to some
locations and panning these gravels will tell for certain. Argentium.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
GPAA sells a sluce kit that uses that corragated plastic pipe for a trap. Yes it will work, but water flow rate is critical!

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6
I have hunt some of these where I prospect. These are usually running with water until the spring thaw is over and most of the water dries up. When this happens, these culverts become homes for some very nasty critters. Timber Rattlers, Skunks, Weasels, Badgers and other small critters. I always check them very carefully before I proceed.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Hi Dick, we have some of those critters here in Washington also, minus the rattlers and badgers. That's why we choose to look before we enter such areas. I went into a hard rock mine in Yuma,Az and managed to waken about a hundred bats and get out with out getting bit. Learned my lesson in Arizona.

Your right in being alert to such things ausing extreme caution and even staying out of some situations. We could all use a lot of caution in the field and be safe, health and well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread