Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mighty AP Digger!!!! Nothing better than this!!!!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 479
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 470

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a cheap (but quality made) digger like shown below, hate the lesche.

Attachments

• Digger_-_Trowl_Sabre_Tooth_12__Black.png
    Digger_-_Trowl_Sabre_Tooth_12__Black.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 459
OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Why do you hate the Lesche?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OutBack Duo said:
Iron Patch said:

Why do you hate the Lesche?

The way the handle and blade don't line up is a deal breaker for me. Cost wasn't a factor at all, I just find that saber tooth digger to be exactly what I like. I also prefer my $20 shovel over any costing three times as much... but it did take me a while to find it... or at least figure out the weight wasn't going to be an issue.

Attachments

• Lesche.jpg
    Lesche.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 435

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that'll make a hole :laughing7:

Seriously, I was actually using something VERY close to what I.P. uses for roughly 2 years. Aside from the extra strength needed to cut a plug, I never had a problem with it. I did however endure quite a few "jabs" by my buddies on my digging tool of choice :tongue3:

I also used the "Gator Digger" from Kellyco for a while. Very good tool. It bent a little, but, always did the job and never broke.

Finally, I picked up a lesche on a whim and can honestly say that it is the ONLY way to go...at least for me. It's incredible :headbang:

As I said initially though, anything you're comfortable with that works will suffice. I've actually been in the field with NO digger before. I'd forgotten it. So, I went into a 99 cent store and actually bought a butter knife (didn't have any shovels). It was a real pain, but, it worked :sign13:

That's the great thing about digging in the woods. You can use a shovel. Which is probably the only thing that beats a lesche in my mind.

If you're in a pinch, check out the "Fiskers" line of gardening tools. Many people use them and swear by them :thumbsup:

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
I currently use a predator tools digger (the one that looks just like a lesche, but with an orange rubber grip). In the past ten+ years metal detecting I have broken 2 lesches.

Granted.... i have been a prying maniac with my diggers. And used the heck out of the lesches. From my personal experience ...mine cracked at the first or second cutting notch.

I dont get out metal detecting much anymore so I have not abused my predator tools digger as much as the lesches. When I had a lesche & a predatortools digger at the same time.... I noticed that the predator tool was a little longer & a very tad thicker than the lesche.

IMO they are both basically the same. I havnt found anything better.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was interesting to read for me

I just started. I had beach vacations and bought a small plastic hand shovel...cheapy and of course it worked wonders in the sand lol

tried it in dirt---omg no way

now I have a small metal shovel and it KILLS the palm of my hand trying to break thru the grass and good old Carolina red clay. I must change to find a good digging tool....and that big knife looking critter seems to be perfect...I like the saw tooth action on the one side.

so I will be off to purchase something better than my little hand shovel.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
FarmerChick said:

I just started. I had beach vacations and bought a small plastic hand shovel...cheapy and of course it worked wonders in the sand lol

now I have a small metal shovel and it KILLS the palm of my hand trying to break thru the grass and good old Carolina red clay. I must change to find a good digging tool....and that big knife looking critter seems to be perfect...I like the saw tooth action on the one side.

here, you can borrow my tool i used to cut though hard ground. ill mail it to ya :laughing9: :headbang:

Attachments

• saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 340

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
colorado14ers said:
FarmerChick said:

here, you can borrow my tool i used to cut though hard ground. ill mail it to ya :laughing9: :headbang:

Must have been one tough pulltab to have to bring that digger in!!!! HH Cuhg :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a gator from Kellyco. It bent after a six months or so.

Been using the Ames 7 in 1 Planter's Buddy for the past couple years. Very happy with it.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
Chug and Red said:
colorado14ers said:
FarmerChick said:

Must have been one tough pulltab to have to bring that digger in!!!! HH Cuhg :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

i thought it was going to be a old penny but it was just a deep can, here it it!!!

Attachments

• can.jpg
    can.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 333

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a lot of different tools depending on what type of hunt I'm doing , Picks , shovels, towels , screw drivers , sand scoops. And I'm on the list for a Mighty AP also.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol hot damn I want that digger

I brought one of those camp shovels with me...again the cheaper kind and I pushed with my food to get a big plug and SNAP end of that little crappy shovel

how in the heck do you carry all that stuff with you....I want a tool that can do it all wtihout carrying around 10 tools like a pack mule :laughing9:

Hubby told me to get that pick ax thing but in the end I can't be carrying around too many things, it would drive me insane---but I can handle a screwdriver and I will be carrying that one cause I am sure it would come in handly somewhere

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A hand mattox and a Hori Hori knife. The knife is new, but, the first trip out was good, except for the handle comfort. I believe this will be remedied with a good wrap. See my post on the Hori Hori knife.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Roland
I will search out that post on the Hori Hori
cause I am setting up what I should get as a Christmas present from hubby
thanks for the info

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the knife again today on a 2 hour hunt. It handled everything from wood chips in the tot lots to some red clay with ease compared to my Chinese Kellyco Lesche knockoff. Since my hand is getting over the bruise and a large blood blister, the handle is not so bad. This thing makes cutting a grass plug a breeze. I still plan to wrap it at first opportunity to increase the comfort and safety.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a US military issue bayonet that works real good. Not much you can do to hurt one. I also went down to the local garden center and bought a little scoop that will break before it bends. For big jobs, well, I know how to operate a backhoe.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: RGINN

we farm and have a backhoe and I used it many times to bury a few horses and goats and such....never used it to dig up treasure. Now ya got me thinking big time here lol

It is funny but my fingers are sore. I just didn't think this finger exercise with cutting plugs would make them hurt....who knew ?
:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread