Advice

pjm66

Jul 18, 2010
Somerset Co NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ran a search but couldnt find anything adressing my question. If this is something that has been answered before, I appologize.

Are there any tips/tricks to detecting gravel driveways or parking lots anyone can share with me? There is a old train depot near me that was active from about 1900-1980. It seems like i should be finding more than I am. I am primarly working the old parking lots which were gravel, now it is gravel covered by a thin layer of dirt/leaves/pine needles etc with lots of saplings.

Anyone got any words of advice for a new guy?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what type of detector are you useing may be you need more power or get the garbage out and then see what you find. :thumbsup:have what ever you do.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby!!! I wouldn't worry too much about the dirt, pine needles or anything else you mentioned. However, you're gonna have one heck of a time digging through the rocky gravel. Not sure if it will affect the depth of your detector, but, even if it DIDN'T, I'm quite sure you don't want to be chiseling rock to find coins :thumbsup:

I'd say to go over the area and try to cherry-pick all of the surface stuff. If you can indeed dig with no problem, go right ahead. Think it's gonna be difficult for you though.

I've found train lines to be very productive. But, make sure you're detecting where there was a train-stop or depot. At least in the vicinity. Not gonna find too much between the stations aside from the odd coin or two and junk. Simply because not many people congregated there. Just my two cents :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pjm66

pjm66

Jul 18, 2010
Somerset Co NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detector is a BH Sharpshooter ll---nothing special. I just got started.

It was definitely a train depot---the old buildings are still standing, so there is no doubt. I used old satt photos to find the parking lots so I know i am in the right place. Gravel is a bit of a paint, but oh well. I just thought it might be a good place and try and learn the basics. It was active for over 80 years, there must have been a lot of stuff dropped over the period in time.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets start with the good news. I found my best ring in a bars dirt parking lot. A 29 stone, 14 k gold diamond ring. I could just picture some guy having it throw in his face by his ex fiance. Him too drunk or stupid to care.

It is not hard to detect a parking lot. I use a good pin pointer, Garrett's Pro Pointer. It lets you know if the target is shallow, in the top 1 to 2 inches, so you don't have to dig a deeper hole. Most of my finds in parking areas/lots are not deep.

The lots may be trashy so a smaller coil might help and learning how to use your detectors discrimination is a plus. Good luck!

Ed D.

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Great advice above me here, Ill 2nd that, and add that you have to know what fights are worth fighting, You may bang out a 6 inch hole{lot may have been graveled over who knows how many times}to recover a clad quarter,was it worth the fight? Shallow targets only for me also on gravel..If you do not have a pin pointer just raise you coil up off the ground over the target until the signal dissapears..That should give you an Idea about your depth..
But if you really want to dig it, then I would drive a spike {like an Iron property staab or a jack hammer type chisel} on the side of the target area with a a 5llb sledge hammer..Drive it down 4 or 5 inches and then beat the chisel/staab away from the target which will loosen the gravel up..You may have to do that on 2 or maybe even 3 sides before you loosen the tight packed gravel enough to recover your target...I use to do that with good success..Very tough and hard work though..Back to the fights worth fighting,sometimes when you win you still lose...

Good luck to you my friend and HH....

Scott

OP
OP
pjm66

pjm66

Jul 18, 2010
Somerset Co NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help. Sounds like I might be better off working the edges and look for the stuff the plows pushed out in the winter.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pjm66,

I would work it all. Let the lot tell you what is there. Your only decision is how deep to dig signals. If it was not too hard I would start by digging the first 12 strong signals. I learn as much by digging trash as I do good finds. It is not always what should I do, but also what should I not do. :icon_scratch: ::)

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread