Need your help: Community Advocacy use for www.MetalDetecting.us

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cliff Notes: I'm a domain name investor and a year or two back, caught MetalDetecting.us when the previous landrush registrant let it lapse. It's presently sitting there undeveloped and to be honest, up until recently, I probably would've sold it on the domain aftermarket (I've had two unsolicited offers for it over the past year) but in reading over this site, I'm absolutely appalled at what appears to be an encroaching government odium on what I believe to be a totally benign hobby (I had no idea any of this was going on). This name is no longer for sale and will be put to use in an advocacy role.

My main interest is shipwrecks and underwater stuff- not really so much land detecting- but the operating philosophies of the two hobbies are clearly interrelated, so we're all tied at the hip here.

I'd like to hear any ideas MD hobbyists might have as to how this can be used to effectively get out the message.

A few technical facts:
-------
.us domain names are the official country-code Top Level Domain of the United States and were restricted to government use until 2002, when they were opened to public registry.

About 60,000 people search "Metal Detecting" every month on Google, in addition to many more on other search engines like Yahoo, Bing and MSN.

.us domains enjoy a slight technical advantage in search engine rankings amongst US searchers. Further, being an 'exact match' domain name for a common search phrase, there is an additional search engine boost.
-------

I know plenty about domain names, search engine optimization and web development, but very little about metal detecting, metal detecting laws and what sorts of forces the hobby is up against here in the United States. I'd like to solicit the members of this site for ideas, so whatever sort of use the domain is put to will have a cogent, on-target message that most effectively conveys the facts involved. Obviously, I'd provide backlinks to treasurenet and other relevant sites.

So, post your ideas here; don't be bashful. Remember- the idea is to use the domain to spread a message advocating the metal detecting hobby in the United States and stopping these grotesque anti-rights laws; not as a commercial platform. Further, I'd be open to giving the domain name to any established US based advocacy groups that had the right proposal for development and use, however, I'd prefer that to be a final option.

Thanks

LSM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions