Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Resurfacing tot lots? What's the deal?

For years the tot lot playgrounds have had about a foot of sand hauled in around the swings, slides and climbing towers. Within the last few years they have started removing the sand and putting in heavy rubber mats. They look like they are made from shredded rubber tires compressed into mats. At this rate there won't be any more tot lots to hunt. I seldom hunt them since I was a newbie but I always like to go there to test my equipment or to show a tyro how it works. Anyone else notice this change or is it just me? Monty

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Resurfacing tot lots? What's the deal?

Are you in a small town? The reason I ask is your city sounds a little behind times or you live in a cool climate.

My favorite city park tot lot was changed from wood chips to that shredded rubber several years ago, but since that time they've found that on a hot day the rubber will burn the children's bare feet, they stopped using it.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero

I think they're just trying to make the parks more maintenance free. I don't know about Sand Springs, but here in BA the city has had a hiring freeze for years trying to keep the budget under control. The parks dept gets the axe first. We've still got wood chips, but the newer parks have the matting around the swings. The rage was shredded rubber for a while, but there have been rumors flying that it may not be as safe as everyone thought. As long as our town is broke, they'll leave it be I think.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rubber "matting" has gone in just about everywhere in my neck of the woods, it's all about lower maintenance cost, recycling, and a cleaner look.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There's one park close to me where they actually were stupid enough to lay cement for the base of a tot lot. The playground equipment is over 6' tall. I couldn't believe it!! ???

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero

Concrete? On a playground?? As foolish as that seems, I can see towns doing that. I'll bet there is a sign that says 'play at your own risk' right in front. Cheaper in the long run as long as they can dodge the liability issues.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm referring to Tulsa. And I have noted that some parks that still have sand are not being maintained and have weeds and grass growing in them. Monty

S

stefen

Numerous reasons why the change is taking place...

1. Safety fall heights determine th depth of Sand vs Wood Chips vs Fibar vs EPDM (ground rubber) vs Nw Poly, and the like...as an example, 12 inches of sand is equal to 3-1'2 inches of ground rubber cushion course with a 1/2 inch of bonded wear course (expoxy bond)...

2. Maintenance is a major problem with the lack periodic replacing of loose sand and wood chips...

3. Compaction is also a major problem with wood chips...

4. Sand and wood chips become a housekeeping problem with school janitorial staff...

5. Loss by wind...

6. Big cat boxes...presents a major health hazard

7. There are a number of national law suits surrounding the use of sand, wood chips and fibar products...these legal actions will set the tenor for future designs...

You will also note that such equipment as wood framed play structures, metal slides, merry-go-rounds, tetter-totters and tetherball are being phased out in schools and public parks because they are hazardous...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stefen said:
Numerous reasons why the change is taking place...

1. Safety fall heights determine th depth of Sand vs Wood Chips vs Fibar vs EPDM (ground rubber) vs Nw Poly, and the like...as an example, 12 inches of sand is equal to 3-1'2 inches of ground rubber cushion course with a 1/2 inch of bonded wear course (expoxy bond)...

2. Maintenance is a major problem with the lack periodic replacing of loose sand and wood chips...

3. Compaction is also a major problem with wood chips...

4. Sand and wood chips become a housekeeping problem with school janitorial staff...

5. Loss by wind...

6. Big cat boxes...presents a major health hazard

7. There are a number of national law suits surrounding the use of sand, wood chips and fibar products...these legal actions will set the tenor for future designs...

You will also note that such equipment as wood framed play structures, metal slides, merry-go-rounds, tetter-totters and tetherball are being phased out in schools and public parks because they are hazardous...

It's a wonder any of us lived through all those simple, uncomplicated park playing years. :icon_scratch:

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used

Hmm.... how did we survive? Amen to that! There were some good reasons listed as to why the wood chips and gravel are being phased out. I understand the issues with wood chips. I read another post on where we'll be in 20 years as to hunting. I guess we're seeing the future of tot lots.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I too wonder how we survived when we were kids. First to go at our elementary schools were the Monkey Bars. Our tot lots still have sand and in the major parks for the county it is wood chips.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe the future in some areas, but the past in others.

They started replacing our wood chip tot lots with rubber, but when a parent sued the city for their child's feet being burned that all stopped. Here where we get temperatures in the triple digits during the summer, having a rubber mat is really stupid. Ever touched one of those when it's 106º out? Ya, they won't be doing that around here any more.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The state collects a dollar per tire when you get new tires and they call it a recycle fee. They have been grinding them and mixing with asphalt and using them for paving. Maybe the rubber mats are just more of that program at least here in Oklahoma. It's plain to see that the mats here are just compressed ground up tires. It's interesting that third world countries use their old tires and make them into sandals! Monty

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My biggest haul from a tot lot of shredded tires yielded about $ 35.00 in clad coins! This is still a personal record for me in clad change from one tot lot. The clad quarters alone were over 100. The shredded tires can be just as rewarding as the wood chips or sand boxes ;D

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably would if the tires were shredded. But these are huge mats about 2" thick made from pieces of shredded tires that are compressed into a solid mat. Monty

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I stopped at a school in SC about 10 days ago-My first contact with the rubber mats. No fair!! The shredded steel belted radials are bad enough but at least I can hunt. In my neck of the woods they still have the sand and wood chips thankfully, but a fair number of the schools will eject you for metal detecting. There also seems to be a conspiracy to pave all my favorite gravel parking lots. I fear I may see the day when all the treasure warriors are lined up with their shiny detectors around a 6 foot square-the only legal place left to detect.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We're still using wood chips up here. As we have a plethora of them. A little sand in a few places. You follow the money and that will pretty much explain why different cities do things.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

Around here they're mostly still using pea gravel, but they replaced nearly all the playground equipment with types less likely to cause serious injuries and the presumed lawsuits that would follow.

Ive seen one bark chip tot lot in a neighboring suburb. In my suburb, they put it around trees & bushes. One or two tot lots near me have sand, but think they have plastic or something like it underneath, so the coins stay shallow.

The pea gravel is hard to detect. Reads very high ground phase & coins are often tilted between the rocks or too deep. Best wishes, George (MN)

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

I have noticed quiet a few tot lots ( especially the newer ones) have gone with those compressed rubber mats. Bummer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread