Anyone try magnet fishing before???

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to do it off of a fishing pier in the San Francisco Bay when I would go fishing as a kid. I got an absolute ton of knives. Everyone would cut their bait on the wooden rails and then knock their knife in. Some were old and rusty but many were perfectly usable. You need to keep checking your knot on the rope. I used nylon cord, and I would always lose the magnet after a while because the knot would come undone.

Other things I found were sunglasses, a watch, lots of fishing tackle, lighters, flatware like spoons and forks, pliers, etc.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a place I hunt that was an old school in the thirties. The owner wants he and I to get a large magnet and fish the old school cistern. Will a magnet pick up coins?

Attachments

• school 016.jpg
    school 016.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 4,750
  • school 016.jpg
    school 016.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,264

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m bryan said:
There's a place I hunt that was an old school in the thirties. The owner wants he and I to get a large magnet and fish the old school cistern. Will a magnet pick up coins?

No U.S. coin (other than the 1943 steel cent) has been magnetic. Much of the modern Canadian coinage is magnetic.

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
I tried it once, Got my magnet stuck to something huge and couldnt get it back.... two of us pulled on the rope for about an hour

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
my dad tried to find his leatherman he lost in our canal but didnt find it :'( >:(. I should try it along our peir!!!!

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
I think it was on this board somewhere someone posted a video of some guys in Europe using magnets in rivers to get WWII bullets. I think they even might have pulled a helmet out.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is another form of treasure hunting as you don't know what you'll find. I tried this years ago and saved a few cans from being eatten by rust off our dock. Some of the big magnets you can't get back if they latch onto a car.

Attachments

• Fishing Magnet.jpg
    Fishing Magnet.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 26,843
  • Fishing Magnet.jpg
    Fishing Magnet.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 17,963

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about going to all those water fountains where folks throw coins in..... :laughing7:

Attachments

• PROBE2.JPG
    PROBE2.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 17,932

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010
I've got my hands on a 250lb rated magnet from Harbor Freight. Just trying to figure out what the best line/rope to use was? I have about 60 feet of rock climbing rope I thought might work well. Rated to hold over 250 pounds, anyone have better options though?

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
I have done this for years. I use a hundred pound magnet with a nylon 200 pound test. alongside lake docks you can retrieve a pile of screwdrivers and wrenches and knives. latch on to something big , you lose the magnet or go in after it. Outboard motors dont stick well, too much aluminum. nailed a sunken snowmobile, had to get a diver. Just good clean fun. Bob

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njnydigger, you're not looking in the right area.... I did find a money clip with the initials JRH on it... After exhaustive research, I believe it may have belonged to James Riddle "Jimmy" Hoffa :hello2:

I never tried that, but it sounds like it may be fun... I guess you may find an old knife, perhaps even an old pistol :dontknow:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I LOVE this thread! :headbang: :hello2: Color me stoo-pid, but I never even THOUGHT about magnet fishing! :sign13: I have used rare earth magnets for years on my gold prospecting picks and it never even occurred to me :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :help: Thanks for teaching an old dawg a new trick! :notworthy: :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We always thought about that, but figured an electromagnet would be the thing, cause we could shut it off in case we were out in our innertubes and hooked onto a submarine.

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried it yesterday. :icon_thumleft:
dropped a rod holder over board and tried the magnate, then figured out the rod holder was stainless. :icon_scratch:
i switched to a large triple hook and got it. :laughing7:

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look for meteorites with magnets. I ran across an article somewhere that it was speculated a meteror crashed between Ohio and Indiana. I'll have to look that up. We live close to the Miami River and thought about 'magnet fishing'. Too bad coins are not magnetic. :laughing7: OhioDeb

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine got one up in Illinois to try and get his fishing rod back out of an irrigation canal. Ended up pulling out nine guns. All stolen in a burglary a few months before. Never did find his rod and reel though.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid it was pretty common. In the back of every comic book or Popular Mechanics was an ad for these large magnets. My dad had one that he used every time we went fishing on the docks.
Most of the time he pulled up junk, but occasionally something interesting was found. I don't recall anything specific, except maybe some part of a boat. It was a long time ago.
Like all treasure hunting, it is only as good as where you pursue it. Busy docks, fishing piers and other places where people come and go are likely candidates. And no, they wont find US coins of any kind. Or Leatherman tools, either, which are stainless steel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread