surfmaster Pro plus II question

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Reaches way down, but hard to pinpoint. Strickly sound and headphones. Kind of a brute power type detector, But for $175 I'd go for it!

OP
OP
bryan

bryan

Feb 7, 2006
Southern Illinois
well if it is going to be hard for me to pinpoint its going to be hard to find objects correct. so should i wait and get a differant detector. Im not to fond of beach hunting and there isnt alot of beaches in my area. just dont want to buy something that is going to waste my time

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Buy it and get the Harbor Freight pinpointer for an additional $16 and your all set. Your not going to get anything that can go as deep as that for that amount of money! On the beach, it will get you close enough so you can just scoop it up. I have the old PI and I love It.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Buy it and get the Harbor Freight pinpointer for an additional $16 and your all set. Your not going to get anything that can go as deep as that for that amount of money! On the beach, it will get you close enough so you can just scoop it up. I have the old PI and I love It.

Unless you have the extra money to throw away, skip this detector for your coins and relic hunting on dry land. The White's is a PI type of detector and has very little disc so you will be digging many holes for junk. Plus the fact the pinpointing is more like you will know the general area and you will do lots of damage to the grass I would pass on this one. Now if you were to think someday you will be hunting the beaches, this one will find the stuff in the deep sand and won't get to squirrelly near the salt water and the price is nice.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sandman: What could he get for $175? That detector is probably worth over $500 and he said he did do some beach detecting. With that high quality detector I bet he would love beach detecting. Most of the posts on the detector section are about poor target ID so he won't be missing much.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, I was referring to his wanting a detector for coins and relics and I did state if he had the money to get it in case he started hunting beaches as the price was nice. He said he didn't have a lot of beaches in his area.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Sandman: You are correct, you did state those facts. But I was assuming that since he already hunts that he probably had a low end coin type detector. When a question is asked, the complete situation should be listed. It would really help giving a answer.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
I have this very detector and have used it on dry land for coin hunting in parks just to see how it worked. First of all it is no deeper than any other fair VLF. Good in my soil to about 6-9 inches. For me it pin points via the X method just as good as any other detector. It does sound on everything, but if this is not a problem for you in fairly clean areas this PI will work pretty good. It did for me. I would not call it a deep detector. It's fair. Any of my Tesoro VLF will out air test and out dirt test this old Whites.

I'd buy this thing at the price you mention. It's a decent water detector and nowadays getting a waterproof unit at under 200 bucks is a great deal. (I hate water hunting. I last used my PI for coin hunting in the rain.)

Old Town

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have the original surfmaster PI. It is about 10 years old. 6" to 10" on coins and rings sounds right, But I have picked up a boat anchor at 2' on the beach with it,so I know mine will go that deep in actual use. In pinpointing, for some reason, it usually indicates app. 1" to the side of the object and I have tried cross,X and edge methods. I thing it is because PI technology which has a lag compaired to TR technology.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Frankn, I always assume when discussing depth that we are staying with one single target example - a coin.

All detectors hit much deeper on large objects. It often confuses others to hear one machine is good at 5 inches and another person says 20 inches. No mention is made of the target.

Not picking on you. My old Whites will detect military tanks in Peking back alleys. It will only detect coins to 9 inches or so. My Tesoro Cibola is the deepest coin detector I've ever tested. It does quarters at 13 inches in my soil. I wrote this once before and had an indignant Minelab owner PM me to say he'd dug a horse shoe at 2 feet with his machine, so his was better.

How do you argue with someone like this? I try not to get into depth wars unless all understand the single target used as a standard. Otherwise you get mad Minelab devotees PMing you with spittle running down their chins.

OT

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it sounds to good to be true. Make sure its not stolen and coming from a reliable source. If its up and up, purchase it and flip it on eBay for a nice profit and buy yourself a better detector for coin shooting.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Oldtown, That's why I always state the target when mentioning depth.
The 10" mentioned was actually a gold diamond and emerald ring.
Is that Hemmingway's place? It's been years since my last trip to the tip.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Ernie's winter residence during the early 30s. He lived all over the place, Idaho, Spain, Cuba, etc.

My dad was not a friend of Hemingway but remembers him around town. My dad was born in 1919 at the Navy base down here.

Old Town

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jump on it for that price!! You can always trade it for a land machine . A lot of people would be all over it. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread