Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running the Ace250 for about two years, and I Know it is missing deeper coins, I dont think it picks up coins beyond 4-6 inches. With the price range of 400-1000$ trying to stay as low as possible on that, does anyone have any suggestions as to a machine that will get with the Ace 250 is missing, and possibly share the specs of the machine suggested, TY in advance.

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Used Garrett 1500. Same circuits as the 2500 except not a true all metal mode. Same basic coil. The 2500 might get a couple more inches in it's true all metal mode, but it's relatively heavy. Garrett's site will give you the spec's and even let you download an operators manual.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill-USA said:
Used Garrett 1500. Same circuits as the 2500 except not a true all metal mode. Same basic coil. The 2500 might get a couple more inches in it's true all metal mode, but it's relatively heavy. Garrett's site will give you the spec's and even let you download an operators manual.

Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestions, and I appreciate you taking the time to do answer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 just doesn't have a ground balance circuit, either manual or automatic. It is preset which is fine for some parts of the country but not others. Suggest you study the manufacturers websites for what features are important to you.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Good advice Sandman, so many variables! Joe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to say that I have had my ACE 250 for several years and I never considered it a beginner's detector. The lack of a manual ground balance and an ajustable volume control has been my only complaints. Given those two things and most of us would probably not need to upgrade unless we just wanted a lot of complicated dials and switches to mess with. I have and do have some of the so called top of the line detectors and the little ACE with 3 coils does just as well under most circumstances. I wouldn't try hunting with it underwater for instance. :wink: Why some consider it a beginner's detector is only because it is one of the truly turn on and go detectors on the market. I am sure many will agree with me while others will adamently disagree. But that is just my opinion. :dontknow: Monty

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$400 - $1000 covers an awful lot of territory.

It's hard for me to recommend a detector because what I think is best may very well NOT be what you think is best.

If if were going about this, I'd ask myself where I plan to do most of my hunting. Then I'd ask myself if I could be happy with a tone detector or if I really wanted that display screen. Then ask yourself everything from whether weight is a factor to what features do you really want the detector to have. Also, how is the warranty? Do I need it to be waterproof, etc.

You will eventually find yourself down to about 3 to 4 units. Come back to TNet and type the name of each detector into the search box and look at the previous forum posts about it. You will learn a lot.

Then you will decide and it'll be your choice, which is what you need. No one else's opinion really matters because we're all different. If we were all the same, there'd probably be only one or two brands of detectors. :wink:

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Monty,

One thing is for sure, we all all entitled to our opinions! I am just wondering what ... "so called top of the line detectors".... do you have? Joe

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Midwest, any detector you can name is an upgrade over the Ace 250. The Ace is the most overrated device ever offered for metal detecting. I've owned one and used two others. They stink for depth and make noise like a perpetual plane crash.

For 340 dollars go get a Tesoro Cibola. This is a non-metered detector of unusual depth. It has good discrimination and runs dead quiet. You get a beep and you have a target. No non-stop chatter and pinging like the horrid Ace. The Cibola recently tested deeper for me in my soil than every detector I own or have owned. This includes a Fisher F-75 and the Minelab E-Trac. 13 inches in my mild soil on a quarter. My other detectors do not see a quarter at this depth and they cost 5 times as much and require much more time to tune just to get near the Cibola.

I now own a Cibola, Deleon and Vaquero by Tesoro. This is a sleeper company that gets no attention because they do not push expensive VDI type detectors. This is why newer detectorists pass them by. This is too bad because they're very deep and have a lifetime guarantee. Plus they work very quietly and are simple to use.

I've been detecting for 20 years and have used most everything. Now I find myself drifting away from VDIs, (actually running) and relying on raw depth power. Depth is everything if old coins are your thing. Tesoro delivers the best depth in my tests and the Cibola is number 1.

Old Town.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old Town said:
For 340 dollars go get a Tesoro Cibola. This is a non-metered detector of unusual depth. It has good discrimination and runs dead quiet. You get a beep and you have a target. No non-stop chatter and pinging like the horrid Ace. The Cibola recently tested deeper for me in my soil than every detector I own or have owned. This includes a Fisher F-75 and the Minelab E-Trac. 13 inches in my mild soil on a quarter. My other detectors do not see a quarter at this depth and they cost 5 times as much and require much more time to tune just to get near the Cibola.
Old Town.

Just curious Old Town. To get 13 on a quarter were you in all metal or discriminate mode? My Tejon (with stock coil) will see a quarter at about 7 inches in disc mode, but about 10 inches in all metal.

-Swartzie

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
If you live in an area where you might benefit from a adjustable GB, take a look at the tesoro Vaquero. I've never dug a quarter at 13", but I have dug a clad dime at a measured 10.5", in disc mode with the V and many other targets at 6-8+". The Tesoros hits hard on most targets, and runs smooth. Although it is single tone, that tone is very discriptive per each different target and you would be hard pressed to beat their quick reset when multiple targets are present.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a GTI 2500 and I now have a Minelab Safari. Joe. Monty

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Swartzie said:
Old Town said:
Old Town.

Just curious Old Town. To get 13 on a quarter were you in all metal or discriminate mode? My Tejon (with stock coil) will see a quarter at about 7 inches in disc mode, but about 10 inches in all metal.

-Swartzie

I always air test a detector in the setup I'd use for detecting. That is I use discrimination just above iron but accepting foil on the Tesoro dial. I can always run at full sensitivity in my soil as we have no issues at all with minerals. I push the sensitivity into the red gain area. Threshold on the Cibola all the way over to the right. This is the super tune setup. It runs fine for me with no chatter at all. (I never use all-metal at any time)

My Deleon and Vaquero are set up in a similar fashion for air tests and ground work.

The Deleon detects a clad quarter at 9.5 inches. This is where is gets a solid signal. You can get clipped sounds out to 10" but I would not dig such a sound. So I call it 9.5 inches.

The Vaquero detects a clad quarter at 11 inches set up like this.

The Cibola which is supposed to be a Vaquero without ground balance happens to out perform my Vaquero by a goodly amount. I get a solid 13.5 inches in air tests and 13 inches in my test garden on a clad quarter.

Dimes are only about an inch behind these depths. These Tesoro's in my dirt blow every detector I've ever used away. I used to love my MXT. The Cibola is 5 inches better and runs with far better stability, even maxed out.

It takes my best tuning effort with my E-trac to get 12 inches on a quarter and the E-trac is a skittery rabbit by comparison. I've come to believe single frequency detectors are potentially deeper machines than multi-freqs. Where the multi shines is in picking through trash. This is their only superior feature. I'll take pure depth any time. The Cibola delivers for me. It has to be seen to be believed. Do your own tests at home. I never take anther person's word for anything. You should only take mine as a suggestion for your next machine. You get a Cibola and I guarantee you'll be writing emotional stories of frightening depth compared to whatever you are using now.

OT

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I'd suggest a Minelab xterra 750. Take a look at the xterra range,they're good,reliable,easy to use and pretty deep.(going from my 350).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread