Looks Like Im NOT Stuck With It, AFTER ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Like I'm NOT Stuck With It, AFTER ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally heard from Kellyco, regarding this crappy White's Classic 5 ID detector. They said the reason I couldn't find any of the 9 items I buried (at only 4" deep) was they haven't been in the ground long enough.

I mentioned the erratic screen displays & random meaningless beeps, even when it's laying on the ground not even being touched... they blamed it on mineralized soil. I told them I tried turning the sensitivity ALL THE WAY DOWN, & it STILL did it... they blamed it on mineralized soil.

Told them about the air test, & how it will barely detect a penny at 4", BARELY (measured with a ruler for accuracy), or 6" BARELY, if sensitivity is WIDE OPEN,... they said the air test was not reliable or was inaccurate, something to that effect.

With a whopping 30% restocking fee, or 20% if I pick another detector, it looks like I'm just stuck with this thing. So, this has turned into a $400 nightmare that I'll be paying on for months to come. I wish to heck I had never bought it... :BangHead:

"The Lord is my shepherd"
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Looks Like I'm Stuck With It...

Call Whites or send it to them, they are a good company and the detector has a warrenty. If theres something wrong with it they will fix it.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry but I had to stop reading after the first sentence. I'm pretty good at multi-tasking but even I can't laugh my butt off and read at the same time!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Something doesn't sound right. Have you tried KellycoChick here on the board. PM her about your problem or invite her to this thread to discuss the issues you are having.

I'm not familiar with that specific detector but something isn't right. Do you know another detectorist in your area that could try out your machine and see what results they get?

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigginThePast said:
Something doesn't sound right. Have you tried KellycoChick here on the board. PM her about your problem or invite her to this thread to discuss the issues you are having.

I'm not familiar with that specific detector but something isn't right. Do you know another detectorist in your area that could try out your machine and see what results they get?
Never heard of her, but maybe it's worth a shot. As for other detectorists, no, I don't know any, & I live out in the boonies, to make matters worse.

I was so aggravated when I was on the phone with Kellyco, I completely forgot to tell them about what it does in "all metal mode".... it detects EVERYTHING! Wood, glass, fabric, cardboard, even air movement when I wave it around! More like RADAR! Is that normal?

Still, I'd rather "eat it", & use it like it is, than lose over $100 restocking fee, plus shipping costs, plus a 50-mile-round-trip to town to ship it back, besides all of the hassle. Although I DO regret buying it, at least it works.... sort of. Not all that great, but it does work...

sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SirJoey

I sent KellycoChick a PM with a link to this thread. Hopefully you can get your machine straightened out, whatever the problem may be.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero

As mentioned before, you should call Whites and deal with them. You're probably going to have to pay the freight for the detector no matter who you send it to. It's better to just deal with the manufactuer. Kellyco had a bad one. It happens from time to time, but they may have more bad ones that nobody knows about yet. Whites will take care of you. If you keep and use a detector that is not properly working, you'll just end up sticking it in a closet.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Talk about generic BS answers! I bet the person you were talking to has no knowledge and is trained to give those answers. They'd have to be because how the hell would they know what your soil was like! It's crap, call whites and tell them you're not getting any help and you think you're detector is broken. Maybe it is, or maybe it isn't, but if that's how Kellyco deals with their customers everyone reading this should pay attention!

IP (a former multi-line dealer)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

first off they are not wrong on the depth
Air tests don't count. You don't detect through Air.
and freshly buried items don't detect as deep.
4 inches should work though IF
it's set right.

however, if it is carrying on, laying flat on the ground,
Outside away from all Metal;
you either don't have something right
or it's defective.

Not familiar with that detector,
& Can't see if you put it togeter correctly

so at this point all I can say is Good Luck !

Kellyco Or whites may be able to help

If you get ahold of the correct persons.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

is the coil wire snuggly wraped around the stem,
& Connected to the Control Box Correctly ?

Don't Laugh, or take this as an Insult.

I Had a Sovereign user walk up to me
with the unwrapped wire Hanging down on the ground

His batteries were not Charged

& It was screaming Madly.

He was PO'd at me for telling him how good
My Sovereign works. :tongue3:
& Thought he got Ripped off. :tongue3:

I'v also had people ask if they
should Cut off the extra length of Coil wire

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
how the hell would they know what your soil was like!
LOL! Iron Patch, when he mentioned mineralized soil, I told him yes, it is, cuz it really IS, but how could this thing still detect even mineralized soil with the sensitivity turned all the way down? He said it still could, so IDK, maybe it can.

Jeff of PA agreed that air tests don't count, so IDK. I mean, I'm just a rookie here, so maybe the guy was right about both, IDK. I could live with it only detecting coins & small stuff up to 3" deep, but the erratic behaviour's very annoying.

Oh, & Jeff, no offence taken, believe me, I know how stupid people can be, but yeah, everything's hooked up right, & according to the book, the ground balance is right. The thing DOES work, just not all that great, & when I lay it down to dig, & it's laying there beeping & the display's jumpin' around, I keep wondering... maybe it's alienz...

sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doesn't KellyCo tell it's customers to send the detectors to the manufacturer and not to them if it isn't working correctly? Seems like I read that on their website.

I don't care what anyone says, that White's SHOULD detect a freshly buried coin in 4 inches of soil. End of discussion. I'm a Tesoro user, but have had Whites and they are good machines. Something is wrong with your machine and if KellyCo wants to charge you $100 to change machines, tell them to shove it and send it to Whites for adjustments and file an official complaint with them about KellyCo's charging for exchange and giving you the runaround.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SirJoey said:
Iron Patch said:
LOL! Iron Patch, when he mentioned mineralized soil, I told him yes, it is, cuz it really IS, but how could this thing still detect even mineralized soil with the sensitivity turned all the way down? He said it still could, so IDK, maybe it can.

Jeff of PA agreed that air tests don't count, so IDK. I mean, I'm just a rookie here, so maybe the guy was right about both, IDK. I could live with it only detecting coins & small stuff up to 3" deep, but the erratic behaviour's very annoying.

Oh, & Jeff, no offence taken, believe me, I know how stupid people can be, but yeah, everything's hooked up right, & according to the book, the ground balance is right. The thing DOES work, just not all that great, & when I lay it down to dig, & it's laying there beeping & the display's jumpin' around, I keep wondering... maybe it's alienz...

sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Air tests don't count? Strange considering 99.9% of us use them to determine if the detector is on and can detect metal. ;D If I detector can't see a target in an airtest you sure as heck aren't going to get it in the ground. Of course they count, unless you have really bad air too. :wink:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SirJoey said:
... maybe it's alienz...

Yea when it happens to Mine I Always Blame Aliens.

Are you around High Tension Wires ?

My Minelab has gone Erattic On occasion,
But Never was able to ID the Cause 100 %

But moving to another Local has worked.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
SirJoey said:
Iron Patch said:

sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Air tests don't count? Strange considering 99.9% of us use them to determine if the detector is on and can detect metal. ;D If I detector can't see a target in an airtest you sure as heck aren't going to get it in the ground. Of course they count, unless you have really bad air too. :wink:

I Repeat Air Tests Don't Count.

I Get more Depth in the Ground
on old Targets then I Get in the Air
on my Sovereign.

:laughing7:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From Kellycodetectors.com

2. A "No Problem" Promise: Many of the products that we sell come with repair or replacement warranties from manufacturers and Kellyco - something no other retailer offers. And we promise that, regardless of the length of the manufactures warranty, if your product needs service or repairs we will do our best to ensure you are provided with prompt, quality work.

9. Exceptional Customer Service: Having been in the metal detecting business for over 50 years, Kellyco proudly provides a complete, dedicated and knowledgeable staff of customer service representatives. If you have a problem with your order or are unsatisfied with any product, please call or write our customer service department and we will do everything in our power to make you happy.

For example: A couple was placing an order with one of our customer service representatives over the phone when they mentioned a bad experience they had with their previous metal detector. They had owned it for about a year and from day one it just didn't perform as promised. Unfortunately they didn't bother to complain because they only used it on rare occasions. Even though the machine was a year old, and the couple was already in the process of purchasing a replacement, our customer service representative took the issue to the manufacturer. Because of Kellyco's close relationships with manufactures' we were able to help the couple replace their original, poorly functioning metal detector free of charge after a year of use!

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/10reasons.htm

Plenty more to read at the link. Could be a defective machine or user error, but if I were Joey I'd try to work with who I bought it from.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
Iron Patch said:
SirJoey said:
Iron Patch said:

sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

I Get more Depth in the Ground
on old Targets then I Get in the Air
on my Sovereign.

:laughing7:

oh... ok... only 2 feet in the air on a nickel, but 3 feet in the ground. gotcha :wink:

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While I was on the phone with the Kellyco guy today, he also mentioned I could upgrade to the Minelab X-Terra 305 for another $40. Of course, that's not counting return shipping on mine, OR that pesky little 20% restocking fee to change MDs, so I'd still be out prolly a couple hundred more bux altogether, making that an impossible choice for me.

The last thing I told him was I'd try this one for a few more days before I decided for sure what to do. He said I still had a few days left on my 2 weeks, which I took to mean that after 2 weeks, you don't have a choice anymore.

BTW guys, I didn't mean to spark a firestorm of controversey over the air test issue, & I'm not saying one way or the other about it, cuz Heaven knows I SURE don't know! :dontknow: This is my first MD, & I'm new to all this!

sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Don't give up on the detector yet. You didn't get the answer you were looking for from Kellyco yet, but maybe KellycoChick will chime in and help. If not Call Bob at Centreville Electronics in Virginia; he is the authorized White's Repair Center in the southeast US. Maybe he can work with you to check it out or if needed, send it in for a check.

Good luck with it.

White's Southeast
Service Center
Centreville Electronics
9437 Main Street
Manassas, Virginia 20110
(888) 645-0202
(703) 367-7999
(703) 367-0868 FAX
[email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread