4" coil for BH YES or NO ?

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44
4" coil for BH YES or NO ?

Hi Guys,

I have a bounty Hunter Tracker IV with the standard 8" coil, I plan to do only open fields / tot lots / parks etc.

What I would like to know ( Gold Specific ) is it worth investing in the 4" coil to find gold 'easier' and not missing it
with my 8" coil? Most South African gold rings are of 9ct Gold, which is basically an alloy of 37.5% Gold and other metals
which theoretically should make them easy to find, but to date No gold ??? I air tested my wife's engagement ring ( 18ct Gold, so about 75% Gold and other metals ) and my BH only got about 1 1/2" to 2" with the air test, is this normal?

regards,

Devan

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Re: 4" coil for BH YES or NO ?

The only reason to use a 4" coil would be a congested area of search. Either above ground with weeds or rocks or below ground with metallic junk. It won't give you any more dept on your BH. Some high line detectors have adjestable power output so you can match the coil. There appears to be a problem with your detector. I have only used a BH a couple of times and I would say you should be picking up that ring at least 4" distance.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am not familiar with that particular model. However if it has a means of adjusting the sensitivity, a 4" coil would serve you very well around tot lots iron toys and along concrete walkways. It would also be helpful in areas where there is a lot of trash. The trend nowdays seems to be that,"bigger is better", but I think the smaller coils are under appreciated when it comes to many opportunities. I have one for all my detectors and they have all paid for themselves. If you detector is just a very basic metal finder I wouldn't spend the money , but would consider an upgrade with a selection of coils. Monty

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your air test is not normal. As Frankn said you should be picking up that ring at over 4" (usually more). Rings will also typically air test better than quarters when they are laying flat. I just air tested a medium sized 14k gold men's ring at about 6" with my BH Tracker IV. My Tesoro Vaquero air tests the same ring at 10"+.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Devan,

As "Frankn" and "mts" said that air test did not go well. What was the Disc. control set on when you made the test? Any EMI that you may have heard? I think I have a used 4" coil for that detector, but you don't want to spend $ if your BHTIV is not working right! Joe

OP
OP
devan

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44

I Think I had the MD in tone mode with disc set at 12:00 and sensitivity at 15:00, will test tomorrow in All Metal Mode, but when I do
go on the hunt, the above is my normal settings ( to cut out most iron objects )

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

devan ,

Well, running the sensitivity at 75%, the Disc. at 50%, tone mode on (less sensitivity in tone) I'm not too surprised that you got 2" on the ring in an air test. At any rate Devan, you can have fun and enjoy yourself with those settings, but you will not be getting the depth, or gold. Joe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just checked BH detectors and see yours it the beginners model so I am not susrprised at your lack of depth. I wouldn't spend the money to buy the 4" coil for that detector. What happened to BH? I had one of their top of the line detectors (yes Joe they had one a few years ago). I paid over $400 for it including all 3 coils, but now I don't see it listed and the prices for BH have dropped accordingly. I use to defend BH as I found quite a bit of nice things with mine as a beginner, but now I have my doubts. Monty

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty, the BH Tracker IV may be a beginning model but it's actually a decent detector for the money. I've personally moved on due to lack of great depth but the depth it does get for the money is very respectable. I paid $88 for mine a couple of years ago and it was worth every penny. I especially like the dual tones and the discrimination is very good. For a starting detector at that price it is very hard to beat. You get about 6" on a quarter which beats pretty much any other machine in the price range. Most sub-$100 machines are lucky to pick up a quarter at 4" or so. And most sub-$100 machines don't have dual tone ID. I actually still use mine to sort copper and zinc pennies. :icon_thumleft:

It fills a niche and does so very well. But most people will likely move up to a more expensive machine as time goes on and they get more experience.

OP
OP
devan

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44

I do like the tracker IV, yes it's a beginners model, it's under a $100, but as I did not want to spend more money on a new hobby,
this is the MD I decided to start with.

I must say it is a coin magnet and I have found copper coins as deep as 7", the only problem I have with it is it's not so sensitive
to gold, it loves Copper, Foil, Aliminium, Zink and Iron, but gold I guess cannot be deeper than 3" - 4" for ring size objects as my air
test in Tone mode only got about 2".

I will be upgrading when I am ready to move up a notch :laughing7: with the hobby, but very happy with my BH for now.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero

If you are still going to use the Tracker, why not invest in the 4" coil? It's really not that expensive, but getting one where you are at is beyond me. I always have the smallest coil available for each machine I have. After you use one in a trashy or confined area, you'll wonder how you got along without it. I can't say for sure what First Texas is up to, as they changed the connectors on the fishers and Teknetics, but that 4" coil that fits your Tracker will fit all the other Bounty Hunters and the older Fisher F2 and F4.

Oh, Monty. The Land Star, Land Ranger, and Time Ranger have been discontinued. They have put a new face on most of the other detectors as well and added the Pioneer series. Basically the new top of the line BH's are renamed Teknetics detectors. I saw these on Cabella's website.

OP
OP
devan

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44

Well, looks like I might just buy the 4" coil for the tot lots and parks, but looking for a new detector for next year maybe,

which do you think will have the best depth and more sensitive to Gold jewellery, then coins ect.

> X-Terra 305
> Coinmaster Pro
> Classic 5ID

the above is what I an looking at to purchase.

thanks

Devan

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used

devan,

I think I have a used BH 4" coil in the store room. I'll get back after I look, if you want? Joe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I ain't knocking your detector. I started out with one and moved up. But you could very easily have more invested in extras than you paid for it to start with. Just trying to save you a buck or two. Do what you want. Monty

OP
OP
devan

devan

Aug 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Fisher F44

Hi Monty,

I listen and I learn, this is why the forum exists, to inform, teach and learn from :)

I thought about it for a while and decided to stay with my setup as is, I will buy a new detector next year before
spending $ on a detector I might just sell to upgrade to a new one.

thanks for all your comments :icon_thumright:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I still think there is something potentially wrong with your detector (or your location/usage for that detector). Getting 2" on a ring is not right. Rings usually can be detected further away than coins when it comes to an air test. My BH Tracker IV air tests my 14K gold ring at 6" but only gets about 5" on a quarter laying flat. I realize that air tests aren't conclusive. But if I'm getting 6" and you are getting 2" then that is quite a difference that shouldn't be ignored.

What are your air tests like for common coins? Do you have any US coins that you can air test for comparison?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions