Think "Core Area" for more consistent gold.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think "Core Area" for more consistent gold.

Here's a HUGE but simple tip for those just starting out in this hobby and also for those who are growing more frustrated because of the lack of good finds:

Just got back from a beach hunt yesterday and once again it all came down to knowing where to look. As is typical, 90% of this beach was a waste of time while that one small core area of constant use produced 3 gold wedding bands (two 10k & a 14K) and a 14k bracelet, and a few assorted junk rings. Most of the clad came from this same small core area of activity as well. This same "core area of activity" should always be your first consideration wherever you hunt because most of the gold is going to be where most of the people and activity takes place, and in nearly every situation, no matter how small or how large, there will always be only a few core areas within that space where most of the action takes place. These are the places you want to locate because these are the places where your odds of success are much higher. Sunday I'll be leaving to hunt a total area of 3.8 miles of beach. At first glance it appears there are people all up and down the beach, but in reality within that 3.8 miles there is perhaps only 1000 yards of beach (just a few core areas) that gets 80% of the water traffic. This is where we will be hunting, within these small core areas of an otherwise vast amount of beach. Just passing this information along so others can apply it to their own hunts. The beach we hunted yesterday was perhaps 200 yards long but all of our good finds came from an area of only about 50' x 50'. "Find those core areas of activity and you'll find more silver and gold." :thumbsup:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Re: Think "Core Area" for more consistent gold.

yep, and this was confirmed AFTER all the goods were plucked from the sand. Bigscoop asked the attendant where most of the people congregate and she shared the traffic area and sure enough, that's where the goods were found!

Ok, I have to admit that he did out hunt me yesterday BUT we both walked away with gold:) THAT'S always a dang good day :hello2:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

The "core" area is actually several areas.
1-The sand between hi & low tide marks is the best producer of rings and watches worn while swimming.
2-The area about from hi water mark back app.100' is what I call the drop area. the stuff that falls off the blanket or is hidden in the sand below the edge of the blanket and never found.
3- This area is the domain of the coin hunters. It lies along the edge of the boardwalks or at beach access points. The removal of car keys from the pocket brings forth a coin spill. And a really good place is under the boardwalk if there is access.

NOTE: the real expensive stuff is found on the beach in front of the Hi Rises & condos

Plug popper

Aug 23, 2010
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GMH CXlll Garrett Master Hunter 10x Garrett master hunter 7x Garrett MH ADS 6 master hunter 5x

Hi. New here but i think the same thing go's for hunting in parks ' schools and such. Often if a place is hunted hard i find that the out of the way place's can be very good as well. I have never hunted on a beach but would like to some day. What you are saying is true look for the hot spots there is where you will find the most. I hunt in yards parks place's like that and i find that the hot spots are sidewalk's along driveway's and under the big old tree in the back yard. I have found thing's in place's i never thought i would find anything' it just go's to show you never know what or where you will find something. Thanks plug poper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread