MD-ing busy areas

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it bother any of you to detect in heavy traffic areas where cars and pedestrians are? Was told I could hunt an area where the old post office and gas stations were. Only thing it is crouded with people around......I think I would feel out of place. Am I being timid or is that natural to feel that way?

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
go for it----to heck with the public---just be ready for the comments but those are a grain of salt compared to what you might find

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I start hunting at 6:00AM to avoid dealing with not nice people and heat. I'd hunt the place, but watch out for cars and be careful.

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd feel the same way, MB. Maybe I'm a little timid or shy, too.
Starting early sounds like a good suggestion, though! Go for it!

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been there done that.

Hunted this square in the middle
of a large City at a busy intersection
for a whole season.

LastScan2.jpg

Only problem I had was with one store owner,
who the Police & Borough
laughed over and told
me to ignore.

Do that & People won't
matter to you anymore.

I do avoid large groups of
Picnikers & Children playing
though.
Simply out of Respect
for the adults.
and avoidence of the Children

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
If it's a safe area you might try going after dark. It's a lot cooler. Just get you a head lamp and go to it. Good luck

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start early like suggested and as it gets more crowded, you'll hardly notice.

I detected a spot next to a major intersection some years back where they demo'd an old German Lutheran Church. The noise was insane so after about half an hour I called it quits.
A month later, when the were doing the final demo of the foundation, they found a time capsule burried in the early 1800's. Had old german coins and papers in it.
Had I stuck out the noise.......:BangHead:

Al

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crowds don't brother me.I just work around them. If you don't ikea lot of people around start early before others start coming around. When I find where sidewalks has been torn up I try and hit those places early in the mornings.....Matt

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there-

Wear a high visability jacket, like a construction worker and you well blend in better!!! Anyone asks you are looking for pipes!

Luck

Rory

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
m bryan said:
Does it bother any of you to detect in heavy traffic areas where cars and pedestrians are? Was told I could hunt an area where the old post office and gas stations were. Only thing it is crouded with people around......I think I would feel out of place. Am I being timid or is that natural to feel that way?

I'm pretty new to this hobby, like this weekend was the 1st time I have ever been MD'ing, and yes... I feel awkward. I rolled up to a park and there were like 80 kids running cross country and their parents. They looked at me like I had 5 heads, a little weird but whatever... screw em.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Once I was detecting Lincoln Park in downtown Waterloo, IA. Some local detectorist came up to me & I said something like this is the only place in Waterloo/Cedar Falls that I've been able to find an old coin. He told me the reason it wasn't totally cleaned out is the park is only detectable on Sunday mornings due to extreme noise & congestion.

Once I was detecting Rice Park in downtown St. Paul, MN & groups of people were walking across the park constantly. I kept fearing that when I was on my knees digging a coin, someone might not see me, and trip and fall on me or my detector. If the major problem is being timid, go anyway, either by yourself or with a person who also detects. Be neat & if there's not any no detecting signs, the police & everyone else shouldn't complain. HH, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread