Travel with Metal detector

beancounter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2006
zephyrhills, fl
Detector(s) used
mpx digital, ace 250
I am flying home and want to detect my parents house, do you carry the metal dector with you or do you check it to baggage? I alway read of people going to other countries by plane or cruise, can you carry on and if so do you have to remove batteries, also no digging tools? so I would have to buy more when I get there?

ddbowdoin

Aug 30, 2010
Boston, MA
beancounter said:
I am flying home and want to detect my parents house, do you carry the metal dector with you or do you check it to baggage? I alway read of people going to other countries by plane or cruise, can you carry on and if so do you have to remove batteries, also no digging tools? so I would have to buy more when I get there?

I would say they would require you to check it, mainly because of the electrical box on the receiver... they arent the smartest people in the TSA.

F

Felinepeachy

My friend Gail, goes to the UK twice a year to md and she says she packs hers in her suitcase and checks it with luggage. She hasn't had a problem.

You could just ship it ahead of time. :dontknow:

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Delta out of Key West to Miami makes me put them under the plane as baggage. No carry on. This is the only carrier I've tried. Others may differ.

OT

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took mine on a plane last May. I flew Southwest out of Nashville to Kansas City Mo and took it on as a carry on. I bought a hard carrying case from my local Whites dealer and it worked out great. I will always take it with me when I travel. It fit very easily in the overhead and I had no problems traveling with it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I fly every year to the mineral belt in Colorado.

Keep this in mind when traveling with your investment.

Imagine 18-20 year old kids disgruntled because they have to be at work any way, trying to get everything packed on a time limit. If you don't pack the machine properly, they will abuse it. I promise you. Heed my warning.
Buy a Snowboard case (they are lockable), (must use proper airline locks) pack the machine with pillows and everything you need to take. I take my mining gear no problem. They will ask you what you have and they will take a peek. But, it's no problem.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You also may want to call the airline to make sure it will fit in the overhead. Some smaller airlines don't have the room and you will have to put in baggage. My case is padded with the cut outs for the machine, battery, coil etc. Yes I would take the battery out and I did take my digging tool along with my apron, extra battery and head phones. Like 4-H said you can use a snowboard case or an old hard suit case. Just pack it very well. You can get old suit cases in flea markets pretty cheap. I was nervous the first time I took mine but not anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions