Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Lortone model 3A, I've had it for years and it works great.
Don't mix your silver and copper coins when you tumble them, it will ruin your silver coins.
For the longest time I used rocks to keep the coins from clumping and just sliding inside. Next time I'm going to try plastic beads on the advice of a White dealer.
A 15-30 min tumble gets them clean enough for the bank.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
19Blockhead64 said:
I use a Lortone model 3A, I've had it for years and it works great.
Don't mix your silver and copper coins when you tumble them, it will ruin your silver coins.
For the longest time I used rocks to keep the coins from clumping and just sliding inside. Next time I'm going to try plastic beads on the advice of a White dealer.
A 15-30 min tumble gets them clean enough for the bank.
Yes, the Lortone is a professional grade tumbler. It doesn't pay to buy Wal-mart brand. You can buy ceramic pellets (innexpensive) to fill the volume of the Barrels. If cleaning clad is your main focus, then I suggest getting one with a large barrel to clean a bunch at a time.
You will find what you need here
http://rocktumbler.com/rotary.shtml

Mind you, they are not cheap, but a quality tumbler will last.

If you need my help, call me
I'll teach you how to tumble rocks too! :D

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a photo for Ian on my first "golf ball" Garnet polishing experiment years ago. The Garnets, mixed with other stones now in the photo, were "Golf ball" sized when I started :laughing9:

Attachments

• PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 561

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tumbler .......fish tank gravel or outside gravel of same size ........ water...................dish soap.

seperate the pennies from the silver , run pennies with pennies only or they make the silver look funky colors ........fill tumbler 1/4 full of gravel 1/4 with clad fill with water till it just starts to come over the coins an rocks , give it 2 or 3 squirts of dish soap .....close everything up turn it on , check in 2-3 hours ..empty into a strainer check coins ....repeat as needed :icon_thumleft:

Hope that helps ya Tank :icon_thumleft:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my tumbler from Harbor Freight. It was under $30 and I have had it for nearly 2 years. Use fish gravel a small drop of dawn soap tumble for about a hour. Make sure you separate the pennies for the clad coins....Matt

gambler13

May 27, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Xterra 705
To really clean your clad, vinegar, dish soap, gravel and a small piece of steel wool.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went the cheap route and got the dual drum 6# tumbler from Harbor Freight, IIRC, it was about $38 and came with 5 spare belts (I haven't had to use one yet). Not sure which model Lortone it was, but, one of them looks to be the same machine that HF sells, except about 4 times as much. I would have to see the two together to determine if the price difference is justified. After looking at what is available for the bucks, I think I could make one with better features and materials.

Bottom line, the HF tumbler works just fine.

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
I bought the base model Lortone kind years ago (single barrel). Think I paid about $50 for it. Its held up its end over the years despite how much I neglected/abused it.

But had I known about the cheaper Harbor freight tumbler at the time... I would have bought it.

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had variable speed drill hooked it to the lid of a square sided jar (about i half gallon size clamped it to the work bench added a little sand and dawn detergent a a little water plug in in about half hour and it does a good job for all my md finds and some of my coins need washing but it sure does a good job without spending any of my finds suprdave

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
suprdave said:
had variable speed drill hooked it to the lid of a square sided jar (about i half gallon size clamped it to the work bench added a little sand and dawn detergent a a little water plug in in about half hour and it does a good job for all my md finds and some of my coins need washing but it sure does a good job without spending any of my finds suprdave

What a novel idea.....very creative.......any chance of getting a pic of this setup? Better yet, a video??

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Heres's the one I made, variable speed drill, coffee can with a bolt through it for the chuck, a rectangular cranberry juice plastic jug fits nice and snug in the can, but easily pulls out. Two casters screwed to the board for the can to rotate on.

Attachments

• tumbler.jpg
    tumbler.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,036
  • tumbler.jpg
    tumbler.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 499

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mick56 said:
Heres's the one I made, variable speed drill, coffee can with a bolt through it for the chuck, a rectangular cranberry juice plastic jug fits nice and snug in the can, but easily pulls out. Two casters screwed to the board for the can to rotate on.

Nobody can say you are not creative!! I like the idea of the see-through tumbler. I bet that baby would do some tumbling on the higher drill speeds! ;D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have a single drum from Harbor Frieght. Had it for about a year and a half. No problems yet. My recipe is simple. Water, sand gravel, splash of CLR, & 3 drops of dish soap. The coins shine
Ike they came from the mint.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mick56 said:
Now I have seen everything. lol

That's definitely interesting.
Looks like something me and my friends would concoct

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mlayers said:
I got my tumbler from Harbor Freight. It was under $30 and I have had it for nearly 2 years. Use fish gravel a small drop of dawn soap tumble for about a hour. Make sure you separate the pennies for the clad coins....Matt

I have a double barrel tumbler from Harbor Freight for a few years. Never had a problem with it. Throw the Nickels, Dimes and Quarters in one drum and pennies in the other. Add sand (free from beach) and some dish detergent then let her run. Works like a charm.

NJ

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mick56 said:

This looks like something from the SAW movie series.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread