fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you here have read the story behind the badge in my avatar. Well, the gentleman who helped me research it contacted me and asked about buying it. He is making a display for the Fire Department and 150th anniversary of the Civil War. My badge is the only known relic from the Fire Truck "Spiggot". I told him that I wouldn't sell it but, I did say that I would consider loaning it to him for the duration of the display.
Has anyone here loaned relics like this? I might add that he is in Massachussetts and I am in Georgia.
How would I best handle the transaction? What if the item is lost or stolen? I don't think it is worth much but it is priceless to me.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A German friend of mine found a nazi flare gun and he meet someone who wanted to clean it up for him. He never saw the guy or the gun again...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd send him a nice picture in a frame! Maybe a big frame and include some shots of the site you found it.

If something stupid happened you'd kick yourself for a very long time. He should understand and respect your decision knowing how much it means to you.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. Other websites I posted this question on also gave me the same general answers. I have thought about this even before the guy asked me to loan it to him and have decided to will it to them when I pass.
I know I found it and the story behind it the best part but, I feel that it belongs to the Methuen Fire Department and that is where it will eventually wind up.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, This is a tough one and you really have to decide what means more to you.
Recently, I dug a R-10 (10 being rarest) Store token from the first establishment in our historic town.
No other examples have survived. Or at least found there way to the net. The store was not only the first store built, but very historic as well. The token sat on my display for a month while I enjoyed it, looking at it every now and then. And then it came to me that I would feel much more satisfied if it were in a display in our local museum a few hundred yards away from the old original stone store. I have never looked back. When you donate an item such as the token or your historic badge, you get a paper stating your donation. I keep the paper nearby where I actually get the same feeling as if it were still here.
I rest fine knowing the public gets to enjoy the token as I do. The relic should be where it can be viewed and loved by the ones that can appreciate it. It's your choice friend.

Personaly, I wouldn't loan it out for ones individual displays.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I'd send him a nice picture in a frame! Maybe a big frame and include some shots of the site you found it.

If something stupid happened you'd kick yourself for a very long time. He should understand and respect your decision knowing how much it means to you.

This is the only option open to you if you value the find and want to keep it.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Iron Patch said:

This is the only option open to you if you value the find and want to keep it.

I second IP's suggestion.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Thanks for the reply. Joe already has pictures of the badge and there is nothing but a peanut field where I found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread