How do you like to find silver?

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Folks,
I don't know a detectorist that doesn't like to find silver or old coins. Here's my question: which gives you a great rush...opening the plug and seeing the silver/old coin in the hole or waving a clod of dirt over your coil knowing there's a silver/old coin in there? Personally, I like the added suspense of knowing there's a silver coin in a clod of dirt and trying to guess what might be hidden inside before I break it apart. It's even better when a rim is showing but barely so you can;t even tell what denomination it might be.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
T-man

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me be the first...how would you know the coin in your plug is silver?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in Bulk ! ;D

Actually, in my hand being Wiped Clean
between My Fingers or, my Shirt. :coffee2:

I don't care what it is.
If I see silver glint, it's in my hand &
I'm wipeing it off & Checking it out.

Won't see me wasting time
Admireing it in the ground :D

You will Never see a Genuine Insitu Pic
From me Either.
IF For some reason I would decide
a Pic would look good that way,
You can be assured, it's a staged
pic after I'v yanked it out,
Checked it over good, Went back
to my Vehicle for a camera,
Then placed it in the hole :tongue3:
Of course I Would make this Clear at the Time.

I Would not risk Jinxing
a great find by taking a pic
on the hopes it is.

I'd have to take a Thousand
pics a day, which would
be wasting detecting time :wink:

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Barnum said:

Barnum,
If it's a deep signal and it is ringing up like a coin, 99% of the time I know it is an old coin on my detector (Explorer II). I'm hunting a site now that has tons of coins and lots of other artifacts...you name it, I've found it there. But I almost always know when I've got a coin...they sound quite distinct. Of course, if I had a probe, I probably wouldn't have as many clods of dirt with still hidden coins in them but at present I rely on my Ace 250 as a pinpointer.
T-man

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Turtleman said:
Barnum said:
Barnum,
If it's a deep signal and it is ringing up like a coin, 99% of the time I know it is an old coin on my detector (Explorer II). I'm hunting a site now that has tons of coins and lots of other artifacts...you name it, I've found it there. But I almost always know when I've got a coin...they sound quite distinct. Of course, if I had a probe, I probably wouldn't have as many clods of dirt with still hidden coins in them but at present I rely on my Ace 250 as a pinpointer.
T-man
You use the Ex and the Ace at the same time? That's a bit strange, isn't it?

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
EpsilonMinus said:
Turtleman said:
Barnum said:
Barnum,
T-man
You use the Ex and the Ace at the same time? That's a bit strange, isn't it?

EM,
I guess 'strange' is a relative term. It works for me. I find the signals with my Explorer, mark them with a golf tee or some other object, then shut off the Minelab to conserve batteries. Then I dig the holes. Often the item is in the hole, other times I use the Ace to pinpoint. Minelabs aren't the greatest at precise pinpointing and I do not have a pinpointer. I see no reason to get one at this point since my Ace does the job.
T-man

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more time I'm into this the harder it is to get a rush from finds. It's gotta be pretty good to get me going. However, what still does give me a rush is getting to a new site and the first targets are all old showing the potential, and for about the next 20 minutes I have to force myself to slow down a little. The most recent case of this was a few years back when we were granted permission for a long farm field on the water. My digging bud went left, I went right, and all the first 90% of the field gave us was modern junk, but we both knew if there was a great site to be had it would most likely be at the bottom. As we got close I looked over and seen Ironhorse wasn't stopped in any one area, which was not a good sign, and I had found nothing either. That was when I made it to corner where the field went a little to the right and I seen the spot! I told myself if there was an old site here I knew I was only seconds away from being on it. It was a high point, right beside a creek, and it just had that look. I walked a bit more and got a large junk hit but decided to dig just to see if it was old.... and it was, and old piece of iron. I could tell there was more iron so things were looking good, then finally a good hit. I dug the hole and it was a large button, wiped the dirt away and realized it was a Rev War officer button. Now that was a rush.... first real target and I made my day and who knows what else would be there! Here is both posts for anyone who bothered to read this far. The place went very quiet and we're still waiting for the plow. As you can see even with less less targets my day 2 beat my day one by quite a bit. I actually got my a$$ kicked on coppers but the few right ones easily trump the numbers.

Day 1 http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,169416.0.html

Day 2 http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,169744.html

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
bazinga said:
Barnum said:

With an Explorer, you just know.

Bazinga,
I couldn't agree with you more...deep, old coins are distinct on the Explorer. I feel like this summer I have finally move up on the learning curve in knowing how to use the machine...I was ready to get rid of it but now, with proper use, I know what a good machine it is.
T-man

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
The more time I'm into this the harder it is to get a rush from finds. It's gotta be pretty good to get me going. However, what still does give me a rush is getting to a new site and the first targets are all old showing the potential, and for about the next 20 minutes I have to force myself to slow down a little. The most recent case of this was a few years back when we were granted permission for a long farm field on the water. My digging bud went left, I went right, and all the first 90% of the field gave us was modern junk, but we both new if there was a great site to be had it would most likely be at the bottom. As we got close I looked over and seen Ironhorse wasn't stopped in any one area, which was not a good sign, and I had found nothing either. That was when I made it to corner where the field went a little to the right and I seen the spot! I told myself if there was an old site here I knew I was only seconds away from being on it. It was a high point, right beside a creek, and it just had that look. I walked a bit more and got a large junk hit but decided to dig just to see if it was old.... and it was, and old piece of iron. I could tell there was more iron so things were looking good, then finally a good hit. I dug the hole and it was a large button, wiped the dirt away and realized it was a Rev War officer button. Now that was a rush.... first real target and I made my day and who knows what else would be there! Here is both posts for anyone who bothered to read this far. The place went very quiet and we're still waiting for the plow. As you can see even with less less targets my day 2 beat my day one by quite a bit. I actually got my a$$ kicked on coppers but the few right ones easily trump the numbers.

Day 1 http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,169416.0.html

Day 2 http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,169744.html

IP,
Cool story. I love the potential of metal detecting...sometimes the best looking places don't pan out (maybe others have hit them) and other times unlikely places are awesome. Research is important but sometimes good sites come from seemingly ordinary locations.
T-man

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turtleman said:
bazinga said:
Barnum said:

Bazinga,
I couldn't agree with you more...deep, old coins are distinct on the Explorer. I feel like this summer I have finally move up on the learning curve in knowing how to use the machine...I was ready to get rid of it but now, with proper use, I know what a good machine it is.
T-man

Yeah, there are a lot of naysayers out there about the Explorer, but in the hands of a capable user, you just know when there is going to be silver down there. Sometimes my friends will get a silver hit with theirs, call me over, and I just have to happily curse at them for going over such an obvious silver coin before me. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
Turtleman said:
bazinga said:
Barnum said:

Bazinga,
T-man

Yeah, there are a lot of naysayers out there about the Explorer, but in the hands of a capable user, you just know when there is going to be silver down there. Sometimes my friends will get a silver hit with theirs, call me over, and I just have to happily curse at them for going over such an obvious silver coin before me. :)

Naysayers? Not around here! Either they're one of us, or fear us. ;D (that's the truth too)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
bazinga said:
Turtleman said:
bazinga said:
Barnum said:

Bazinga,
T-man

Naysayers? Not around here! Either they're one of us, or fear us. ;D (that's the truth too)

Those that fear us say nay. Or they call us elitist, haha.

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
i like seeing the edge of silver(coins, jewlery, whatever)and whiping the dirt away slowly and them removing it to see what it is 8)

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Turtle, I've done a similar thing with the golf tee markers. Find a bunch of targets with one machine and mark them. Go back with something else that sounds more precisely on silver but maybe isn't so deep. If nothing else, you can learn a lot about different detectors and how they sound on real targets in the field. I'm with you, baby.

As for how I like to find silver; real deep stuff over 8 inches is always thrilling. I always wonder how long it's been there and how did it get so deep.

OT

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to see the reverse of a barber dime first. You don't know if it is a barber dime or a seated liberty dime. Sometimes, usually one out of ten barber dimes dug with the reverse reveled first turns out to be a seated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread