War nickel bonanza! .... and some tears.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As my name suggests, I don't consider myself lucky, but I do have to share a true story with you all.

One day as I was looking for fresh yards to hunt, I noticed an old brick house not far from mine. I knew the folks and had done them some favors, and they said sure, go look.

I had found the usual penny or two, and as I was looking along a cement curb at the back of the sidewalk I got a huge signal. Too big actually, for it to be true, so I wondered if I'd gotten the usual copper splice or chunk of LP pipe.

I was flabbergasted when I peeled back the sod to find a complete set of war nickels, all in beautiful shape! I had to sit down on the curb myself to calm down. It was then that I figured out how they'd gotten there.

Someone had sat down there at night, passed out, and the collection had slipped out of their pocket. When they awoke the next day, apparently they couldn't remember the coins.

As I went around the house some more, I came across a strong silver signal against the foundation wall. I stopped digging at about a foot since it was in the lady's flower bed.

Years later, she died and the family moved away, and one day the new owner came over, all excited, and said she'd found 14 silver half dollars digging in her flower bed. I asked her to show me where, and yep - it was where I'd stopped digging!

Moral of story - keep digging!

K

Kentucky Kache

Man, I'm crying with over the silver halves. But wtg on the war nickels. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread