Sloppy Detecting

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to get sloppy at times and was wondering if anyone else does this?... So yesterday I slowed down, kept the coil level with the ground, shortened my swings(as to not end a swing at an angle,)and covered an area walking in a direction then recovered the area walking in the opposite direction and had a decent hunt......One of my biggest problems is I want to cover to much ground too quick.......Anyone else ever get in a hurry or am I the only undisiplined one? ???

S

stefen

m bryan said:
Anyone else ever get in a hurry or am I the only undisiplined one?

Guess you're totally undiciplined and we are all perfect...

So get with the program :coffee2:

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
I have good coil control relative to the position of coil to earth. Where I fall down is covering real estate in a planned manner. I tend to hop around and do not work in a precise way using surface grids and like that. I'm all over the place. This is like trolling for fish. Once I hit something good, I tend to stick to that area until I get bored. Then I troll around again.

OT

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
m bryan said:
Anyone else ever get in a hurry or am I the only undisiplined one?

Guess you're totally undiciplined and we are all perfect...

So get with the program :coffee2:
I knew I wasn't worthy..... ;D

S

stefen

Go to your room...its time out for 1/2 hr... :laughing7:

I think we have all suffered th same problems from time to time...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of this hobby is mental. Patience is the key. Get sloppy and you'll miss stuff. I'm most confident when I grid an area and take my time. That way I know it's been covered.

-Swartzie

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m bryan said:
I tend to get sloppy at times and was wondering if anyone else does this?... So yesterday I slowed down, kept the coil level with the ground, shortened my swings(as to not end a swing at an angle,)and covered an area walking in a direction then recovered the area walking in the opposite direction and had a decent hunt......One of my biggest problems is I want to cover to much ground too quick.......Anyone else ever get in a hurry or am I the only undisiplined one? ???

Absolutely !

I start out Slow, Then get Sloppy
Walking all over too fast.
But IF Something Cracks the tone
I Usually stop & Swing slow over it
to see if it was just an Iron Crackle
Or a Good solid tone
I Swung over too fast for
the detector.

Nice thing , even with the Swingy Thingy
My detector Breaks my back if I Swing too long
without a signal or swing too fast for awhile.

This causes me to Slow to a snails pace
& Those Deep tiny High "Tweets" (For
lack of a better word for Silver Tones)
start popping up.

as far as Coil to the Soil,
When ever possable I Scrub
the ground.
The Sovereign Hates any air between
the coil & THe ground

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sloppy schmoppy...you're doin just fine. We all appreciate the varying techniques.
I jump from area to area but swing slow. Dont kno what makes me thing 1 piece of ground is any better than another.

Guess that's why sites will never be totally hunted...

Al

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Al, at times I think I jump all around just so I won't feel like I've completely denuded an area in a favorite park or school. Wishful thinking maybe. But to grid a spot out and really hammer it would make it dead to me going forward.

OT

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I'm a "mow the lawn" type of detectorist and pretty methodical. Also i use a horseshoe type swing instead of the side to side swing..this tends to stop any coil uplift at the end of the swing. "slow and low..is the way to go!"

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to get sloppy when I'm fatigued and refuse to quit. I've even been know to switch arms where I have less coordination and control. Thing is, I don't really recall having found anything too memorable by pushing on like this, it's actually kind of self-defeating but I just can't make myself quit sometimes. :dontknow:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best advice I learned when hunting a new area was to establish some ground truth by digging everything for the first 30-minutes.

It gave me a good idea of WHAT and how DEEP the targets were running so I could adjust my techniques accordingly.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
It's funny you asked because yesterday my friend and I were on the beach and it had just rained. I detected the blanket line and he was on the beach slope that was being affected by the rising tide. He was moving down the beach at a pace 8 times faster than me and swinging like the devil was chasing him home. His form was bad with his coil sometimes 6 to 8 inches off the ground. I was wondering what he thought he was going to find. (LOL). I try to keep my coil as close to the ground as possible and try not to move the coil too fast. I am pretty methodical when covering an area. I do sometimes zig zag the front slope of the beach to try and determine where different types of material with different densities have settled but once I find the line I want I typically move fairly slow and cover all of it moving down the beach. I figure any patch on that line could be as productive as any other. If it's within the signal range of your detector, just got to get the coil over it.

S

stefen

Sloppy detecting is when using identical equipment, and you are following the person in front of you, and get many hits he missed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread