How to Find a Civil War Camp

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the Civil War board but I guess not too many people view that board so thought I would post it again here.

I wrote an article titled "How to Find Civil War Campsites" and would like people to let me know what you think. I am not much of a writer but I try really hard. I will be spending all day Saturday at the camp I found recently and then write more about my finds and experiences. This first article is just about how I found the site.

http://www.mymdforum.com/civilwarcamp.htm

Thanks!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an interesting story and a good job on following up on the lead you were given. Good luck on your hunt :icon_thumleft:

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
I liked this article and understood it. That's all writing is about. You should do more.

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Old Town said:
I liked this article and understood it. That's all writing is about. You should do more.
I would agree I liked the article as well. You did well and should defently do more. :read2:

locolarry

Aug 7, 2010
Cary, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di PRO, WHITES GOLDMASTER 66TR, DETECTOR PRO HEADHUNTER
Don,
I really enjoyed your article on finding the Civil War Camp! You are an excellent writer! You are also very lucky! Have you thought about buying lottery tickets?!! (JOKE!)
How 'bout a follow up on subsequent trips to the camp and findings? If you ever need help........!
Larry,
Cary, NC

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep right before the beans you should do well. I am assuming they were all drops? Lots of times the camps were slightly below the hill to break the wind. Look for dark soil and charcoal if the plow has not scattered it to bad. Good luck in your hunt.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with the lead line (red dots in a row ) looks to me like you found a trench line made on the outskirts of the camp :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
with the lead line (red dots in a row ) looks to me like you found a trench line made on the outskirts of the camp :icon_thumright:

If I did find a trench line would that put the camp on the South side of the stream?

Attachments

• trenchline.jpg
    trenchline.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 210

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
nope it would be north side either between the line and the stream below it or esle on the flip side above it * depending upon which the way they would have felt treatened -- was by land ( emeny troops from the north) or from the (south) along / across the the river (water borne attack) ---- note the line seems to follow certain contours of plowing but it seems there might have been a trench line

personally i think the camp would be north of the trench line in the feild --the trnch line was to prevent others from crossing the river and attacking or land boats and attacking -- since one could see anything moving up or down stream from the trench lines .

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
nope it would be north side either between the line and the stream below it or esle on the flip side above it * depending upon which the way they would have felt treatened -- was by land ( emeny troops from the north) or from the (south) along / across the the river (water borne attack) ---- note the line seems to follow certain contours of plowing but it seems there might have been a trench line

personally i think the camp would be north of the trench line in the feild --the trnch line was to prevent others from crossing the river and attacking or land boats and attacking -- since one could see anything moving up or down stream from the trench lines .

There was a Yankee camp about 50 miles to the north, the stream is too small to accomodate any type of boat and the hill this line is on is kind of steep. Any threat would have come from the north and I would think the camp would be close to the water. I have detected the top of the hill (to the North) and was surprised I didn't find any evidence of a camp.

I guess I won't know until I get back out there and do some more searching.

Thanks for your thoughts and reply. I am knew at relic hunting and am looking to learn from more experienced people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions