East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of the people above have seen the same frustration. After a few weeks, you will look back on this episode and laugh. There are several good books to help you put it all together and you will say, "Why didn't I think of that?" Most of all, your new detector can collect dust in the closet.... or cash in the field.... your choice. TTC

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It'll come eventually. It's like learning to drive a stick shift... you can barely get anywhere to begin with and just about ready to let someone else drive, but after a while you'll be going along ok, and after a year or two it'll be second nature. You just have to keep at it.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
At first you should dig everything!!! After awhile you will be able to say "I think I have a dime here" and you will. Once you learn what your detector is saying to you the finds will get better and the trash somewhat less! You still have to dig lots of trash to find treasure.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Farms are often terrible places to find coins. I own a 200 year old farmhouse and have never found a single really old coin but have found alot of metal farm junk and a few modern coins. Why ? Because the old time farmers didn't have alot of coins to lose in the first place. They often bartered the things they grew and animals they raised for the things they needed. They had little use for money and what money they did have they were very careful not to lose. They rarely carried any of it in their pockets since they might have gone to town to buy things once or twice a month. Hit some parks & school playgrounds and the coins will come. They will be mostly modern coins but it's good practice learning what the different sounds are and learning your particular machine.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
I have to add one little tip that surprises me no one has addressed.

Sensitivity

I know others will agree with me. You can have the best MD. there is or the cheapest. It does not matter any MD. with the sens. set to high will drive you crazy because it beeps at every little bit of anything metal.
Until you are comfortable with your MD. and know what it is telling you the best advice is keep the sens. set about 40-50% and you will have more fun.

Just my 2 cents
Welcome to the hobby
Joe

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
daltonvz said:
Thanks for your help everyone, that post above mine was very good. I have a club about an hour away from me that sounds like some people know what they are doing. I have PM'ed Deano...and he seems to know what he is doing. Hopefully he can come down and meet me and go with me because I litteraly have no idea what my detector is telling me. Or what all those sounds mean, it is really starting to piss me off!

I'm even a less experienced detectorist than you, and my advice therefore might suck. But I'd suggest digging up EVERY signal for awhile, to learn what sounds of the detector are likely to produce what. And to efficiently work the detector.

"Failure" is sometimes the best teacher, by showing you what not to do. Or in this case, what signal/discrimination sounds/strengths to not bother digging.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
daltonvz said:
Thanks for your help everyone, that post above mine was very good. I have a club about an hour away from me that sounds like some people know what they are doing. I have PM'ed Deano...and he seems to know what he is doing. Hopefully he can come down and meet me and go with me because I litteraly have no idea what my detector is telling me. Or what all those sounds mean, it is really starting to piss me off!

Why not throw some coins on the ground and practice for what the detector sounds like when you pass over them? martin

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you will learn it takes time --there is a learning curve *--- coins and good stuff do not just "'jump" out of the ground and run to you just because you bought a detector .

it takes time to learn the "art and skill of metal detecting" -- just like buying a race car doesn't make you a "skilled race car driver"--- buying a detector diesn't make you a "skilled metal detectorist"-- both take quite some time to fully master .

but unlike race car driving * --the normal adverage person can learn to be a semi skilled detectorist rather quickly if one applys one self and has a bit of patience -- one must learn ones machine's abilities and also learn listen to sounds its makes and understand the information its display (if it has visual display) trying to tell you .

the delta 4000 you got is a good decent machine -- I know it is * I have found lots of stuff with mine -- and with time and practice you will findsome good stuff too, I'm sure .

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get dissapointed a lot of times when all I'm finding is clad in places others are finding jewelry. BUT , I keep telling myself, the find of a lifetime might be only one swing away!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mtntrekr2 said:
I have to add one little tip that surprises me no one has addressed.

Sensitivity

I know others will agree with me. You can have the best MD. there is or the cheapest. It does not matter any MD. with the sens. set to high will drive you crazy because it beeps at every little bit of anything metal.
Until you are comfortable with your MD. and know what it is telling you the best advice is keep the sens. set about 40-50% and you will have more fun.

Just my 2 cents
Welcome to the hobby
Joe
My uncle has an ace 2 fiddy and he runs it a little under halve throttle...So whats that a bout 4 inches.. I said crank that thing up...He said if he went any higher it will false all the time... I told him ,you'll never find any thing deep and if you can't run that thing all most wide open get rid of It..and that stupid bell tone..I felt so sorry for him. He would dig not find any thing,complain and move on.. the MXT would smoke him every time... Ivied lent him my classic One from White's and he would tell me if it beeped both ways there was something there always.that White's detector never falsed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread