Disappointed

B

Bev

Oh, don't be discouraged yet... I was the pull tab queen when I first starting using my Ace150. It was so sad that I put it away and maybe used it 6 times in 2 years. This year I started and although I was still getting a LOT of square nails, bolts and pull tabs, I was persistant. The guys on here can tell you that. They helped me so much- ASK ASK ASK.
Finally this spring (besides clad and not a lot) I pulled my very first and only '29 Mercury dime! I know it was because I kept asking and reading and lurking and found out I was doing a lot of things wrong.
Anyway I'm getting better and I know that my best find is right around the corner, yours is too!

S

stefen

There's a parallel story about an old woodsman who purchased a chainsaw that was promised to result in cutting 20 cords per day.

The best he could get was 5 cords per day...

So he took the saw back to the hardware store and asked for a refund...

The store manager checked the gas tank...it was full. Next, he removed the spark plug and found it was just like new...then he flipped the switch to the 'ON' position and pulled the cord...the chainsaw let fly with a puff of smoke and fired up...

The old woodsman, jumped back... somewhat startled, and asked 'What is that noise'...

Alright, I'm pulling your cord, so to speak...not all sites are productive or are piggy banks...move on to another site and try again...

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It will come.
I remember feeling the way you do. All of us do.
Suddenly, you'll find your first wheat penny and you''l be stoked. Then you'll find a bucket of them and wonder why you haven't found silver.........Catch my drift.

The key is to tell yourself, Today, I am going to some pretty sweet property with a butt load of history" "If I find something, it will just be a bonus". Try it. Go to relax. The other stuff will follow.

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
I can just say as the other have done, but let me tell you this, i am a beginner and i did spend many hours just digging pulltabs and junk, but then just BAM, i did find my first silver ring,then the silver coins has started to show up. The best tip i did get is to try,try,try and keep trying tho you are learning the detector. Keep up the good work, looking forward to See your findings!!! :headbang:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what a delta 4000 is but I can tell you my very first detector was an old TR machine. No kind of ID except the beep of the detector.
I don't know how many hours of detecting it took me to figure out what the various blips and crackley beeps I listened to until I figured out what each and every bloop was telling me about what was in the ground.

Practice, find a different site, practice some more.
Al

OP
OP
daltonvz

daltonvz

Sep 14, 2010
Iowa
Thanks for the kind words everyone..yes a little disappointed but will not give up. We have a farm with alot of land and i have just been in our yard and stuff...there is an old schoolhouse that use to be about a mile away from where we live. But there is a small house there now and i dont know what they all dug up and stuff. I just dont know what to dig and what not to dig, not really sure what my detector is telling me...when it chimes and beeps all the time and shows all differnt numbers over one spot, its never the same beep or number in the same spot....i just dont know what to do.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daltonvz said:
Thanks for the kind words everyone..yes a little disappointed but will not give up. We have a farm with alot of land and i have just been in our yard and stuff...there is an old schoolhouse that use to be about a mile away from where we live. But there is a small house there now and i dont know what they all dug up and stuff. I just dont know what to dig and what not to dig, not really sure what my detector is telling me...when it chimes and beeps all the time and shows all differnt numbers over one spot, its never the same beep or number in the same spot....i just dont know what to do.

The Teknetics Delta 4000 Should be a Good Detector.

3 Things are Wrong I Can think of.

Location, Location, & Location.

First take a Penny, Nickle, Dime & Quarter

Bury each a foot or so apart,
at maybe only 3"

Make sure you are set to detect them all.

If your Confident with your Digging
& Covering your Holes.

This is where location comes in:
Find a Local Park & Search.

Some Yards just Don't have Coins,
or there is too much Trash Outnumbering them.
You can try the Grass along Sidewalks
and where the car gets parked.
these are the most Likely spots
for coins.

I'v searched a few Yards with 0 coin Results.
it is rare to find a local park with nothing.

Your first coin find most likely will be a Zinc Penny,
there are Millions of Zin'c in the ground.
But You never know

Good Luck !
Keep us posted.

Jeff

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im by no means an expert but as said above, practice at home with coins placed in the yard-then head out to a ball field and picture where people sit and stand at the game.look for worn out areas in the grass. set your discrimination a little higher than normal to knock out most trash. you"ll find coins and you will get use to the repetetive sounds. as you get better you can then turn your discrimination lower to find deeper stuff. best to ya!

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Delta is a great detector for the price.......there is a video on utube that is very helpful on the delta.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will give up because when a person can look around this site and see the finds that are posted day after day, and they are already in the dumps after 24 hours?

Either you're going to believe you're going to do it, and do, or the detector will be in the closet by the end of the week. All said with the intention of lighting a fire under you. ;D I had much the same start as you, but thought there must be more, and better, and there was, and I found it! :thumbsup: It just takes time.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daltonvz said:
:icon_thumleft:

Your going through what everyone goes through....the learning curve :-\ it takes time to get used to the sounds coming from your machine, but don't give up, dig everything and after time, things will become a lot clearer :icon_thumleft:

SS

:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A farm yard is not necessarily a good place to hunt. Because for starters, although it may be an old farm, nonetheless, it is a single family concern, as opposed to a place where mutliple people gathered, for community things, recreation, travel stops (like stage stops, camps, saloons, parks, etc...). So I usually never hunt farm yards, unless there was some sort of express other purpose there for money-changing-hands, or recreation, etc... Like if it doubled as the post stop for all the neighbors, or had some sort of community gatherings (like grange halls, 1-room school house purposes, churches, stage-stop, etc... all of which were sometimes cross-over uses of certain travel route farm house locations). But if it's just a run-of-the-mill farm (unless super wickedly old), I usually don't bother. Also remember, that unlike city homes, country homes, in the old days, didn't have curb-side trash service. So the people would burn and bury their trash. And unlike city yards, which are kept up, mowed, kept clean, etc... country yard homes were where they worked on tractors, pitched out the kitchen trash for the chicken to peck at, etc.... So a lot more junky, potentially, than a city/urban yard.

Thus as Jeff of Pa says: "location location location".

As for the chaotic sounds and spastic sputtering signals, TIDs that jump all over, and no "rhyme or reason", you can do as the others have suggested, and do test beds of known targets (be sure to pick clean ground, far away from any structure, so you can be sure you're not putting coins etc... down where the ground is riddled with targets underneath/around them). Also air test a variety of signals, at all different settings (high disc, low disc, high sens, low sens, disc., pinpoint, etc...) Every type coins, samples of junk like wadded foil of different sizes, tabs, screws, bolts, nails, tabs, jewelry, etc.....

But even then, nothing can compare to the things you can learn, by hunting with a good hunter. If there's a club in your area, or if you can somehow hook up with someone good (someone who routinely finds old coins, not just a sand-box hunter), try to hook up with them. Have them take you to a place, even if it's just for recent clad, wherever there's prolific amounts of it, so you can "trade off" flagged signals to cross-compare. After he's shown you signals he'd pass, verses signals he'd chase, and after you hear those in-the-ground comparisons, and see what's dug thereafter, THEN the "lights will go on", and your machine will start to make sense (or you'll know how to better set the controls to get clearer responses, etc....). The reason why going out with a good hunter is so indispensable, is because there is simply no way, in print, for anyone to train or help someone else, with detectors. The reason for this is: detecting is very sound-specific. And a "sound" can not be described in print.

I have gone out with many beginners, who are ready to throw their machine away, and ..... no matter how hard I tried in email exchanges to diagnose their problem, it wasn't till we went out together, that I saw some glaring error on their part, etc.... I too was in this same position when I first got an Explorer, for instance: It was just a chorus of meaningless fluty tooty tunes, and I hated it. Yet I couldn't argue with Exp. users results. Finally, I got to hook up with a fellow who was adept at digging deep silver from the parks with his. It only took about 3 flagged signals, to hear what he was trying to isolate, and BAM, the "lights went on". See how no amount of printed text instructions could have done that? Only pulling your hair out and digging 100's of targets, or getting some side-by-side with an experienced md'r, will help.

OP
OP
daltonvz

daltonvz

Sep 14, 2010
Iowa
Thanks for your help everyone, that post above mine was very good. I have a club about an hour away from me that sounds like some people know what they are doing. I have PM'ed Deano...and he seems to know what he is doing. Hopefully he can come down and meet me and go with me because I litteraly have no idea what my detector is telling me. Or what all those sounds mean, it is really starting to piss me off!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
daltonvz said:
Thanks for your help everyone, that post above mine was very good. I have a club about an hour away from me that sounds like some people know what they are doing. I have PM'ed Deano...and he seems to know what he is doing. Hopefully he can come down and meet me and go with me because I litteraly have no idea what my detector is telling me. Or what all those sounds mean, it is really starting to piss me off!

You have to do what I do... turn anger into motivation! I can be mad for maybe a couple of hours but after that I'm fired up and ready. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
daltonvz

daltonvz

Sep 14, 2010
Iowa
Mishawaka hunter said:
Hahaha, sounds like you got some good folk to help ease your woes. I got a little help for a more experienced guy today and I think it really helped me out. Theres just a learning curve I think that goes something like this....How in the hell does thing work??? Why dosent it find anything??? Why does all it finds is bottle caps??? Ahhhhh im starting to understand! That was it for me at least....

Hahaha i laughed pretty hard at that learning curve because i feel the same way!! Im just not near close to "ahhhh im starting to understand" lol :(

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I am new as well only been doing it two days. Although I have been lucky and found a 1996 dime and 4 pennys I have found mostly nails,twist top caps,and peices of tin. Just give it time you will find stuff. Practice makes perfect. :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some starter tips --from a fellow who owns and uses a delta 4000 :wink: -- first things first see the "numbers chart" in the rear of your book? --its there for a reason -- it well help in telling you what you have "found" -- if a good find the numbers should repeat on a steady basis -- stuff that is "junk" is normally jumpy -- although "iron relics" can be jumpy some folks seek them out --if one is looking for old iron relic type items ( say you are in civil war campsite for exsample )-- digging in all metal mode and dig every signal might be advisible ----

however if one is basically hunting for coins ( modern clad and older silver and copper coins ) one will want to run in the delta 4000's start up mode * which is discrimation * numbers that should get you attention are --58 -- that will be a nickle or 10 ktgold item ---60 ish should be pulltabs --67 is 14 kt gold --- 67 /77 is old indain head cents and modern zinc cents -- 82 will be a silver or clad dime if the zinc cent is "notched out " older copper cents will also ring here ---- 85/87 will be quarters --cland and silver --93 is a half dollar o/dollar --or squashed aluminum beer can (raise the coil a bit if you get this --if the item is coin it should drop out of detect --but if it says in most likely its a can * bigger item can be detected for longer :wink:

even on your family --location is everything * have you checked by where the car is parked normally ? as folks fish out their keys to put them in the cae ==coins can spill out in the process - one must think coins in pocket --where do folks rest under shade trees to cool off ? --was the old homestead around a long time? --if so were there hoarder or miser money hiders in its past history?
anywhere where lots of folks gather --today or in the past is a prime spot to check out -- swimming. sports .out door concerts -- you name it.
the huge iron hoe thing is called a "farming relic " by some folks and "junk" by others -- what one person may like --other goes "big deal "-- about everyone likes silver and gold however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread