🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found an old newspaper article from Indiana that imposed the dog tax on March 14, 1877. I found it by googling dog tax history and found it under the timeline at bottom of page. Hope this helps. As far as value I can't help you there.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those doggies are quite collectible, I've seen um fetch several hundred dollars pre-1900. Any chance you can post a picture or was you just curious?

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I also found one dated 1890s.
I asked the local Historian for our town about it, but she had no idea on dog tags.
Then I read in this forum somewhere about them.
I was really surprised when I found out the had a dog tax back then.
I have no idea what it would be worth.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just trashed three of them (Indiana) dating 1950's........found them as I was cleaning out the parent's garage. Oooops!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1882 Indiana dog tag isn't very valuable. It happens to be very common. I learned this 3 or 4 years ago when I found one in a farm field.

Then this spring I found one on a Saturday and found another on the next day. So now I have three of them and all were found in different counties in different parts of the state.

I think they are worth about $10-20 or so.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
The 1882 Indiana dog tag isn't very valuable. It happens to be very common. I learned this 3 or 4 years ago when I found one in a farm field.

Then this spring I found one on a Saturday and found another on the next day. So now I have three of them and all were found in different counties in different parts of the state.

I think they are worth about $10-20 or so.

I guess it all depends on where your located. I said in my previous post several hundred dollars, hope I didn't burst any bubbles

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go on ebay and watch what some of the old dog tax tags go for...You will be amazed at the prices some people pay....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread