Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Aug 2008
    9 times

HOW TO MAKE ...SNAKE CHAPS??

....In search of a Lost Battlefield and the area has grass and weeds waist high.....could run into some rattlesnakes......I probably should just buy some snake chaps but my budget is very tight right now....and this is Not my Normal type of hunting ....so only need them for a day or two......I was thinking of using Heavy Cardboard going from my boots to about knee high and wrapped good with either Duct tape or Heavy Duty Adhesive tape ...could also use some flexible plastic that is bite resistant.....any comments would be appreciated......last hunt some showed up with snake bite proof boots and some had the snake chaps.....other wore shorts and sandals.......LOL.....basically this may all be overkill.........I have always been told if you make a lot of racket plus probe the area ahead of you with a staff or stick ....most critters will run......still would appreciate any comments .....Joe

us
    Jul 2010
    Texas
    Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    3 times

Re: HOW TO MAKE ...SNAKE CHAPS??

Lol ! Duct tape does wonders my friend ! Welcome from one Texan to another.

Rig em up ! hehehe

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." Ronald Reagan

us
    Jul 2010
    Texas
    3 times

....and possibly a pistol !

"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." Ronald Reagan

us
    Aug 2008
    9 times

....So this wasn't a Crazy Idea??......Joe

us
    Jul 2010
    Texas
    3 times

Not at all....Hell I wouldn't take the risk and be bitten by one of them.....Or you could wait til it cools off more, and make it out....The snakes tend to hibernate when it's cold....Do whatever you wanna....Maybe you could get you some iron leg shields? LOL. :P

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2005
    Baltimore
    White's XLT, White's QXT
    70 times

How are you going to swing your coil in weeds and grass that is waist high? Forget the chaps bring a mower.

us
    Nov 2009
    Evans Colorado
    AT Pro
    96 times

before I bought my chaps I used that black coragated plastic drainage pipe just cut it lengthwise and put them over my calves then duck taped them in place they last several hours just carry some tape to repair them if the tape breaks.

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    222 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Bass Pro Shop has a fine pair of knee high, water proof snake boots for $100. Consider that a one time, life long investment.

Supposedly, rattlers will run away from you if you make some noise ahead of time. BUT, what about that one who thinks he's cornered and has to fight...................errr BITE. It only takes one and the cost of having a snake bite treated and the loss of work time would run a lot more than $100. Think of it as an insurance policy.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

dld
    us
    Apr 2010
    NE Fla
    ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe(TX)
    still would appreciate any comments .....Joe
    what ever you come up with take a ice pick and stab it hard, if it penetrates so will a snakes fangs
    Good Luck or wait for winter

us
    DFCA

Dec 2006
    Kansas
    Minelab E-trac
    19 times
    Banner Finds (1)

you could buy a pair of linesman boots, kind of expensive, but cheaper than a trip to the ER

us
    Sep 2010
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by txconservative
    ....and possibly a pistol !
    You ARE a pistol...LOL...

Feb 2008
    212 times

Joe, years ago my Dad and I were going to hunt a huge field that had a log cabin
    with high weeds inside and out. I brought some waxed cardboard to tape around
    our lower legs. Never saw a snake but I don't think fangs would penetrate them.
    I took along a .38 revolver just in case.

Bev

I'm so glad we have no poisonous snakes around here! I saw a foot long garden snake yesterday but they don't bother me. They sell kevlar inserts at motorcycles shops for road rash protection, maybe you could have someone sew some velcro on them?

us
    Aug 2010
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Joe,

I sell products and do have snake chaps but not in stock. You can find some on ebay for like $65 as well.
    Roger "NoNeck" Holloway
    Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1541 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I.... don't..... know..... if you want to TEST the cardboard against a pit viper, I'll let you.... and I'll watch. If you don't lose your leg..... no, I'll just spend the $100 bucks, thank you. TTC
    The tide doesn't come in for six hours. You wanna wait here for six hours? Apocalypse Now

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors