Whites Spectra V3i or Minelab E-Trac...... anyone used both for comparison?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do these videos have to do with an Explorer II?

??? Not a thing. Did I say they involved the Explorer II? If I did it was not intended. The reference to the Explorer II was because it was mentioned prior and I was just giving my opinion based on what I saw in the field. Both detectors were able to see every target we checked, but the E-Trac had the clearer tone without any doubt. Actually I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he told me they were targets he would have dug. Personally, I felt they were iffy.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger said:
What do these videos have to do with an Explorer II?

??? Not a thing. Did I say they involved the Explorer II? If I did it was not intended. The reference to the Explorer II was because it was mentioned prior and I was just giving my opinion based on what I saw in the field. Both detectors were able to see every target we checked, but the E-Trac had the clearer tone without any doubt. Actually I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he told me they were targets he would have dug. Personally, I felt they were iffy.

Your entire post spoke of your thoughts on the Explorer II and then you posted vids of comparisons with a V3i with no reference to that machine in your post.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your entire post spoke of your thoughts on the Explorer II and then you posted vids of comparisons with a V3i with no reference to that machine in your post.

Um... OK. I separated the paragraphs of the ONE post where I mentioned the Explorer II so it wouldn't look like it was the entire post. I only mentioned it because the Explorer II was mentioned prior to my brief mentioning.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
I'm not sure what we've learned apart from maybe how some people are digging 15" dimes. :wink: ;D ;D
buy a White's :icon_thumleft:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing I saw in the videos is the Etrak and V3i are comparable. Even the first video, the guy had the V3i loop off the ground a good bit to get that erratic signal. Look at the shadow that coil is tossing as he swings it...probably 2-3" inches off the ground. :laughing9:
Put the coil on the ground when you sweep...especially in grass. ::)

The next 2 videos, the V3i got a good, solid signal...if you know your machine you'll have heard it.
I think next time out for me, I'm gonna try ramping up the recovery rate on my Vision. Haven't fiddled with that setting but ...what the heck...it's there. :tongue3:

Al

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
Iron Patch said:
I'm not sure what we've learned apart from maybe how some people are digging 15" dimes. :wink: ;D ;D
buy a White's :icon_thumleft:

Could I suppose.

Attachments

• To_PooP_On.GIF
    To_PooP_On.GIF
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,194
Nov 10, 2009
Milford Delaware
Detector(s) used
WHITES XLT
I detect with a Xlt, But have used v3 and had a great time using it, I dug quarters at 8 1/2 inches deep with know problems, the cordless head phones worked great, you will be surprised with the differences with out the cord its great, I found a lot of coins with it, and the screen is very clear to see, not lot the other gray screens. check out www.eastcoastmetaldetecting.4t.com and you will see some for my finds with the xlt and V3. Mike eastcoast

Attachments

• coin 111.jpg
    coin 111.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 974
  • coin 111.jpg
    coin 111.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 986

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I saw in the videos is the Etrak and V3i are comparable.

Exactly my conclusion. You can have someone that has tested both post their results but you're really only getting their opinion. I posted these videos because you can decide for yourself the results instead of just taking my opinion. Most people will feel the E-Trac has a slightly better tone on the targets, and I did as well, but what you don't see very well is that when a target was iffy on the E-Trac it was still pretty good on the V3i. The E-Trac makes hear those extremely deep targets easier to hear as good, but the V3i goes a little deep but take some learning to get that added depth.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because both ring in fairly well on a good target isn't even half the story because the real problem with detectors is when they ring in good on a bad target. That's what I like so much about the Explorer II, when the tone sounds good no matter how deep the target is, it's almost always a non iron target, with the % being so high it takes me using another detector to appreciate it again. (So much better than my GTI - the only other detector I really knew) Maybe the V3 is the same way for the people that really know them, but there's really no test that can ever really tell the story online, just an abundance of evidence that still always results in a hung jury.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I like so much about the Explorer II, when the tone sounds good no matter how deep the target is, it's almost always a non iron target, with the % being so high it takes me using another detector to appreciate it again.

If that is truly the case then the Explorer II does something NONE of the other Explorers can do. Both the Explorer SE and the E-Trac could/would null on iron until it got to be around 7-8" deep. At that depth both would sound off on some iron as a good target. I've found White's really shines in this area as my DFX doesn't get fooled by iron, but it doesn't go as deep as the E-Trac or V3i.

Absolutely EVERY detector I've ever owned gets fooled by very deep iron. Not 100% of the time, but a good part of the time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger said:
That's what I like so much about the Explorer II, when the tone sounds good no matter how deep the target is, it's almost always a non iron target, with the % being so high it takes me using another detector to appreciate it again.

If that is truly the case then the Explorer II does something NONE of the other Explorers can do. Both the Explorer SE and the E-Trac could/would null on iron until it got to be around 7-8" deep. At that depth both would sound off on some iron as a good target. I've found White's really shines in this area as my DFX doesn't get fooled by iron, but it doesn't go as deep as the E-Trac or V3i.

Absolutely EVERY detector I've ever owned gets fooled by very deep iron. Not 100% of the time, but a good part of the time.

Depends on the type of iron/ type of site, and who is using the detector. All my hours is on the XS & Ex II, but do know the SE is similar because the few minutes I used one things seemed close to the same.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger said:

IP's argument was that if it was a deep non-iron signal, the explorer didn't get confused by it. We know we are digging something that isn't iron and usually have a pretty good idea of what it is. It's not that the Explorer sounds off on deep iron as a good target, it's that it comes off as an iffy signal that SOMETIMES has a coin next to the iron. That's why we dig those signals. It's not that we think it's a good target. It's that SOMETIMES, there is a good target next to the bad target. I dig a lot of signals that I know for a fact are going to be a piece of iron. Why? I've dug enough silver with a nail laying on top of it that I can't pass some of them up.

The problem with the White's line of detectors is that I can point out DEEP coin signals AND tell you what it is and their machines won't even hear the signal, let along dig it. Like the guy that said he has dug a quarter at 8.5". I've dug pennies and dimes in the 10-11" range in parks and I was able to tell you what I was digging before I dug it.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'd say that brings us to a problem. The problem being IF what you say about the Explorer II is as claimed, then why hasn't it taken the detector market by storm? You see I happen to believe that over time the success, or failure, of a detector will be reflected most honestly in it's user base. That is to say any detector that tends to be above average for most users, will also reflect that in a high user base. Yes the Explorer II does have a fair user base but I sure wouldn't say it's much bigger than a few other top models, and that includes the DFX. So you see the problem we have here. Are we to believe it is a matter of the Explorer II's superiority being kept secret, which is highly unlikely, or that just maybe it isn't all that superior for everyone.

I any case this thread is not about the Explorer II at all but the V3i and the E-Trac. Like comparing most detectors there really isn't a single one that is best of all needs or likes. As I said If I could only own one of these it would be the V3i, but then I am partial to White's top end detectors. I like my main detector to be full featured and adjustable to any condition or job. White's is the undisputed king when it comes to adjustably.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Digger, you ask an honest question:

"IF what you say about the Explorer II is as claimed, then why hasn't it taken the detector market by storm? "

The answer is, that while it's true that the Exp. retains TID to great depths, yet it's not easy to master it. The "market", that you refer to, will invariably pick up the machine, and hate it. The reason is, that it's very tone/sound specific. It's not just a "beep" or "no beep" machine. You have to learn the tooty-fluty. For example: I too heard such claims, and saw guys "bringing in the silver" from tired worked-out parks. So I too tried it (borrowed someone's Explorer back when they first were coming out 8 or so years ago). I took it to a worked out park, and had the attitude "if what they're saying is true, then I'll be able to effortlessly pull silver out", right? But all it was was a chorus of sick geese in the sounds.

It wasn't till a year later, when I met up with a proficient user, in a park where the silver didn't START till 7" down, that I became a believer. He pointed out a few signals, and told me they'd be silver or wheaties or whatever. I swung over them with my Whites, in EVERY CONCEIVABLE setting, rebalance, direction, etc.... I had to admit, I wouldn't have heard them, if they hadn't been pointed out to me.

So again, I ran out and got one to try. And again, I pulled my hair out thinking "these guys are nuts!". It wasn't till I met up with that proficient user, and had him point out some of these deep turf signals, that the "lights went on". Once I heard, side by side, comparisons between what he'd chase, and what he'd pass, did it make sense. No amount of printed instructions can convey such audio lessons. It simply can't be done. It has to be heard and shown, since it is is so sound specific. Printed text can not convey a sound, swing speed, etc....

So there's your answer as to why it's not "taking the market by storm". The average person just can not make it work like that, unless he's either gone through this school of hard knocks, and/or been shown by a proficient user (not just a sand-box hunter). Thus the average person gravitates towards the easier to interpret beep-or-no-beep machines. Nothing wrong with that, mind you. But just answering your question :)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't really say it any better than Tom just did. I use an old XS and have hunted next to so many other machines over the years. Like Tom said, just because you have an Explorer doesn't mean you have a clue how to use it. I still double and triple other Explorer/E-Trac user's finds on almost every single park hunt. If they find 2 silver, I will find 6. Some days I will pull 10+ silver out of hard hit parks while other Explorer users will leave with 3 wheats and a bad attitude.

They haven't taken the world by storm because most people just can't figure them out. To be honest, that is one of their best features. If it were simple like other beep-dig machines, then every park would be absolutely destroyed with no more silver to be found and no more fun to hunt.

What I love is being the first Explorer user to hit a park. It's like a kid in a candy store. I just walk through and cherry pick silver left and right. I've hit parks and in a matter of hours have 10 silver and 40 wheats in my pouch.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom has a very good point. The school of knocks!

It is true, there isn't any way to describe the tones and swing method and whatever individual characteristics the user's use.

I went to that school and became very perceptive to tones. I started detecting with an old T/R machine. No bells, whistles, lights, needles...NADA!....Just a monotonous tone that chirped, twitted, bleeped and blooped.
Master that and you're well on your way. :headbang:

I like the Vision (V3i) simply because it gives me a whole lot of information visually that I had never had before. It tells you which frequency is hitting hardest, it gives you a graph that estimates size plus it has the VDI numbers. Used together, I rarely dig junk and yet can hit deep.
And as a bonus, I can tweek swing speed, recovery, frequency...etc., so on and so forth.
I like playin in the field, fine tuning as I go without much stopping to rebalance or reset the machine.

I hit a pocket spill one of the first times out with it that was probably 8" deep in a worked park. It rang hard and solid....I thought...iron! Too deep for silver to ring that hard. But the visual info I got told me coins...so I dug. On a tone only machine, I'd have probably passed it as iron. I think that's how it got missed by others. It was 3 quarters, 1965's....shy 1 year from silver. And I was still hitting more coins but the hole was getting large and the guy was cutting grass....so whatever else was in that hole is still there. :o

But again...it's years of detecting and graduating the school of hard knocks that allow me to detect the way I do.

Al

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of good info here. As usual, in the end, it is experience that rules the hunt.

Now, I will say I think the big advantage of the E-Trac is that it is easier to master than the older units. The posts seem to also indicate this as well. Could be the unique to the E-Trac flat FE scale? I do know I struggled with the SE Pro for 2 years before I felt I had a good grip on getting the best performance. It only took me about a month with the E-Trac.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think they are both great machines and they both have their strengths and limitation. I think it boils down to personal preference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread